Consider the Packers may rest their starters....

OmahaCardsFan

Veteran
Reaction score
I know there will be a lot of talk about Wiz and his decision to play his starters or not (ie - play to win), but now that the Vikings lost tonight, We have a reasonable chance for a 2 seed which is something to play for. However, in the Pack's case, do they consider sitting their starters? They are locked into the 5 or 6 seed and neither really matters unless they are 5 and both wildcards make it to the NFC Championship (unlikely). So with that said, if your the Packers coach do you rest your starters against the Cards? Next week's games and strategy will be very interesting.

-OCF

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I know there will be a lot of talk about Wiz and his decision to play his starters or not (ie - play to win), but now that the Vikings lost tonight, We have a reasonable chance for a 2 seed which is something to play for. However, in the Pack's case, do they consider sitting their starters? They are locked into the 5 or 6 seed and neither really matters unless they are 5 and both wildcards make it to the NFC Championship (unlikely). So with that said, if your the Packers coach do you rest your starters against the Cards? Next week's games and strategy will be very interesting.

-OCF

Resting a team is always tricky business, IMO it hurts more than it helps.

The problem we face is actually pretty complicated.

We may have some small gain to achieve at the risk of playing an opponent with nothing to lose who will gain valuable knowledge of us for the comming week when it's sudden death.

This is actually a huge conundrum on many levels for the Cardinals.

The Pack actually have a pretty big advantage here in that no matter what it dosen't mean much to them.

We're the ones who are likely to show more than we'd like which will only benefit them, because they won't really care about the game at all.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
JMHO - if I was the Pack, I would sit the starters after the half, if not before.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If I was Whis I would sit Warner after one series and let the rest play for a lead with Matt at QB. The further we go up or behind I start pulling people either way.

Damn the score, start getting people out but hope for the win, if it doesn't happen then it is what it is.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Well, both the PHI/DAL game and the MIN/NYG game are before the Cards game, so the Cards get to see what is at steak.

1) If PHI and MIN both win, the Cards play the Packers as the 4th seed, no matter what the outcome of the Cards/GBP game. If that is the case, both teams should treat the game as preseason. Give the 1st teams a quarter and then rest them.

2) A PHI loss and a MIN loss, is what the Cards can dream about. If that happens, then Cards win puts them as the #2 seed. This is what the Cards want. This situation is a double edge sword because, if the Cards try to beat Greenbay and lose, they will play Greenbay again in round 1 as the #4 seed.

3) PHI win, MIN loss : A win for the Cards means the #3 seed and a game against Dallas. A loss to Greenbay, means once again, #4 and play Greenbay.

4) PHI Loss, MIN win : The Cards will play Greenbay win or lose against Greenbay. If the Cards win they are the #3 seed, lose and they are the #4 seed. If this is the situation at game start, I say, do the preseason thing again and let the seed falls as it may.

The best situation is #2. Situation 1 and 4 are about the same and end up with the Cards treating Week 17 as preseason.

I do not like situation 3 very much.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Let it rain let it rain!! We have 5 games left, whoever we play... I'd like the 2 seed, but I don't want the week off. I think we will play better if we run straight through the 3 teams on the way to the Game...

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Isn't this great, here we are talking about seeding in the playoffs and a possible first round bye. Two years ago we were talking about who to draft and what we would do about FAs in the off season.

THIS IS SWEEEEET!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Packers or anybody else that plays us has 15 weeks of film to look at.
The only thing we shouldn't do is show some trick play or new wrinkle that nobody has seen before. And knowing Whiz, you can bet he has something up his sleeve come playoff time.

I say if the Viking lose, then we play to win.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I think the Packers or anybody else that plays us has 15 weeks of film to look at.
The only thing we shouldn't do is show some trick play or new wrinkle that nobody has seen before. And knowing Whiz, you can bet he has something up his sleeve come playoff time.

I say if the Viking lose, then we play to win.

Co-sign!

Even if the Vikings win, a #3 seed is better than a #4 seed. NO and Minn both look vulnerable and wins in round one at home and round two on the road would possibly mean an NFC championship game at home.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Herm Edwards said:
You play to win the game!

First round bye or not I think we should play it like any other game other than perhaps not opening up the playbook too much. Resting the starters can hurt rhythm and chemistry just as easily as playing them can cause injuries.

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
Come playoffs it is all about execution. If we go out run the ball and don't turn the ball over, we will be watching them in the Superbowl again. Just go out and execute Cards and I won't care who or where we are playing.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I was coach I would never sit my players. Hasnt worked for the colts ever. Their one superbowl win they had to play to the end to get in the playoffs. Every year they rest they lose.

Id pull the major starts in the middle of the 4th quarter maybe but thats it.

You can design safe plays like in the minny game where we were chipping DE's to keep them off Warner. Run the safer plays thats all.

Le Tigre

Reaction score
We have a (somewhat) similar situation here in BengalVille.

We have a shot at the #3 seed if New England loses to Houston and we beat the Jets. There is a distinct urge by both NE and us to "rest the starters" in their respective games.

Maybe it doesn't mean much, but for some reason I was thinking the #3 seed would be a more sure potential of hosting the conference championship. Then I remember the Cards did it last year as a #4 seed.

So...what do you do? Go all-out and win or "rest the starters"? The pitfalls may outweigh the benefits. Although losing to the Jets would make Bengal fans (and probably Card fans too) smile a bit for one greedy little benefit:

It would knock the damn Steelers out of the playoffs. :)

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
. Although losing to the Jets would make Bengal fans (and probably Card fans too) smile a bit for one greedy little benefit:

It would knock the damn Steelers out of the playoffs. :)

It would make me smile from ear to ear. Good luck with your Bengals in the playoffs.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Isn't this great, here we are talking about seeding in the playoffs and a possible first round bye. Two years ago we were talking about who to draft and what we would do about FAs in the off season.

THIS IS SWEEEEET!
:yeahthat:

Le Tigre

Reaction score
It would make me smile from ear to ear. Good luck with your Bengals in the playoffs.

Thanks...same at ya!

Who knows...if Venus and Mars align just right, we could be meeting in Miami.

Having been there for SB XXIII...I would be overjoyed to show my Card friends the many joyful locations of South Beach (within legal limits of course ;))

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
The Pickers will be going allout according to their head coach in the Green Bay Gazette...

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
i want it to be Bengals Cardinals. I am a HUGE Ochocinco fan (got the jersey for xmas), and IFF we lost to them in the superbowl it would take a bit of the sting out of it compared to last year losing to those aholes.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
i want it to be Bengals Cardinals. I am a HUGE Ochocinco fan (got the jersey for xmas), and IFF we lost to them in the superbowl it would take a bit of the sting out of it compared to last year losing to those aholes.

Bengals - Cards or Chargers - Cards - I'd love to see an all west super bowl so that the media could suck on it for a while.

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
If I was Whis I would sit Warner after one series and let the rest play for a lead with Matt at QB. The further we go up or behind I start pulling people either way.

Damn the score, start getting people out but hope for the win, if it doesn't happen then it is what it is.

What you said.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
- I'd love to see an all west super bowl so that the media could suck on it for a while.
iwin.gif

DevilDon

Reaction score
I can tell you as a Packer fan, you will not see GB rest anybody except perhaps Rodgers and some of the D-line. I can tell you they will be coming to win this game. No questions.
The only way Rodgers sits down is a blow-out on either side.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave