Congrats to Barry Bonds...

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I watched the tape of BB running the bases for 756 I chuckled to myself that he was not going to be able to touch Rickey Henderson's speech that RH made when he broke the stolen base record.

"Today, I am the greatest of all time!"

That is just awesome.

Here is the full text;

"It took a long time, huh? (Pause for cheers). First of all, I would like to thank God for giving me the opportunity. I want to thank the Haas family, the Oakland organization, the city of Oakland, and all you beautiful fans for supporting me. (Pauses for cheers). Most of all, I'd like to thank my mom, my friends, and loved ones for their support. I want to give my appreciation to Tom Trebelhorn and the late Billy Martin. Billy Martin was a great manager. He was a great friend to me. I love you, Billy. I wish you were here. (Pauses for cheers). Lou Brock was the symbol of great base stealing. But today, I'm the greatest of all time. Thank you."

Awesome x2.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is me or did he kinda ignore is son after the homerun last night, his son what right at home plate and seemed he kinda shuned him, or was that just me?

That is what I thought as well. Barry seemed to pull a "wait a minute, I have a planned celebration" shun.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I'm not saying that he wasn't great. I'm just saying he was a coke head. If you want to bag on Bonds for taking illegal substances, you'd better be prepared to do the same with Babe.

C'mon DCR, that is a streeeeetch. Cocaine is not a performance enhancer. Maybe it would boost energy for 10 minutes sure. Continued cocaine use would actually stress the body and weaken overall production.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I think just as many people would root against Kobe Bryant breaking Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point record or Terrell Owens breaking any of Jerry Rice'sreceiving records as they did Barry Bonds' pursuit of 756. I don't think steroids are the main reason people are denouncing 756.

spikecop02

Registered
Reaction score
I think just as many people would root against Kobe Bryant breaking Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point record or Terrell Owens breaking any of Jerry Rice'sreceiving records as they did Barry Bonds' pursuit of 756. I don't think steroids are the main reason people are denouncing 756.

Barry Bonds is a jack ass

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

I don't think I could dissagree more. People went nuts and were very supportive of Kobe when he scored 82. Has there been another athelete other than Bonds who broke a major record and wasn't celebrated for his accomplishment?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I could dissagree more. People went nuts and were very supportive of Kobe when he scored 82. Has there been another athelete other than Bonds who broke a major record and wasn't celebrated for his accomplishment?
I didn't celebrate Pete Rose breaking the hits record. I like Bonds way more than I ever liked Rose.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C'mon DCR, that is a streeeeetch. Cocaine is not a performance enhancer. Maybe it would boost energy for 10 minutes sure. Continued cocaine use would actually stress the body and weaken overall production.

true, but this is an extention to this post.

So we're certain that Barry stopped after '04? Ok...

And, I don't know how many times Mao or you I guess need to hear it, but now that we know McGuire & Sosa were using Andro, HGH and/or Roids, their accomplishments are completely tainted and IMO, neither of them should be entering the HOF... HOWEVER, they are not at this moment, on the verge of breaking the greatest record in all of sports. Hence, they are not under the same microscope as is Bonds...
Any player who used roids or any other illegal drug should be scrutinzed and dealt with accordingly. And for Bonds, if you're gonna be in the position of becoming the greatest HR hitter in history, you better be prepared to deal with the hate. He created the hate way before the steroids issue serviced, and since that time his personality has only caused more hate...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bonds should have been more consistent. Babe Ruth probably always did what he did. Barry waited until the tail end of this career to grow a pumpkin head. :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bonds should have been more consistent. Babe Ruth probably always did what he did. Barry waited until the tail end of this career to grow a pumpkin head. :)

Bonds should have been a womanizer too. That always helps your public image.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
true, but this is an extention to this post.

So would you care to elaborate on how exactly your statement "extends" from my comments?
Seems to me you are equating steroids to coke?? In my post, I was simply suggesting that any player taking illegal drugs should be dealt with, period... There is no way you can somehow draw a line of comparison between roids and coke... none...
And once again - for the record, I am not entirely convinced that taking steroids can dramatically impact a HR hitters' total output... However, as I say that, I am also intrigued as after Bonds' his first 10 years in the league had a total of 292 HR's...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So would you care to elaborate on how exactly your statement "extends" from my comments?
Seems to me you are equating steroids to coke?? In my post, I was simply suggesting that any player taking illegal drugs should be dealt with, period... There is no way you can somehow draw a line of comparison between roids and coke... none...
And once again - for the record, I am not entirely convinced that taking steroids can dramatically impact a HR hitters' total output... However, as I say that, I am also intrigued as after Bonds' his first 10 years in the league had a total of 292 HR's...

Do I really need to?

Are steroids illegal and a drug? Are heroin/coke illegal and a drug?

You're the one that said that they should be dealt with accordingly if they take any illegal drugs. I drew the comparison because you opened the door. I'm just making sure that you don't forget about Babe along the way. That is all.

If Bonds should have an * next to his records, so should Babe. That's all I'm saying.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
No, the reaction was very polarized. Some people said Kobe still sucks, others said the rule changes allowed him to score that much amongst other things to marginalize the accomplishment.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is me or did he kinda ignore is son after the homerun last night, his son what right at home plate and seemed he kinda shuned him, or was that just me?

you have to remember his head got so big from juicing that his eyes shifted to the sides a bit like a hammerhead, maybe he just didn't see Nikolai?

:D

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
No, the reaction was very polarized. Some people said Kobe still sucks, others said the rule changes allowed him to score that much amongst other things to marginalize the accomplishment.

Those people are just goofy. If anything rule changes make it harder - scoring is lower in the NBA these days. And people saying "Kobe sucks" isn't much of an argument.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Personally, I have no problem with Barry doing steroids, HGH, or whatever else he wants to pump into his own body. Baseball didn't restrict or test for those substances, so he was doing whatever it took to get ahead of the competition. Good for him. And before any of you go on about how steroids are illegal, save it. Just because something is illegal doesn't make it wrong, and just because something is legal doesn't make it morally correct. I'm in favor of legalization of any and all substances. What a person wants to put into his own body is his business, not mine or the government's.

Steroids are not some magic pill that makes you hit HRs. A person still has to put in the work in the weight room to see any benefit. Bonds did the work and he deserves his record. He's still a miserable human being, though.
I agree, as long as I don't have to pay for the mess. That means rehab, abuse programs, prison, medical bills, welfare, etc.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's absurd. The comparison is tremendously flawed. If anything, Babe's extra curricular activities detracted from his performance.

Absolutely not. You can't say someone should be penalized for taking any illegal drugs and then start saying that the comparisons are flawed.

If you think that only steroids should be banned, say so.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Absolutely not. You can't say someone should be penalized for taking any illegal drugs and then start saying that the comparisons are flawed.

OK. Now you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. People who aren't bogged down by minutia talk about an asterisk for Barry because of performance enhancers.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Barry is an ass. End of story. The "purists" that say they can look past the impurities are just contradicting themselves. We are all fooling ourselves. This is professional sports, for pete's sake (no, not Rose). What difference does any of it make, other than in conversation? None. Good job Barry. You found a way to get it done no matter what it took. We'll see how long it takes for you to be dethroned.

Next.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Are you kidding? Really - are you joking??

Steroids is banned, and for good reason... Performance enhancers like 'roids or HGH have no place in sports...
However, marijuana and coke - while clearly NOT performance enhancing drugs, are illegal in all 50 states... Professional athletes are not exempt from U.S. law (contrary to what many believe...).

In short, there is no logical comparison to be made between roids and coke/marijuana... none...
Bonds took roids for the sole purpose of trying to cheat, trying to gain an unfair advantage...
People/athletes take coke/marijuana for a myriad of reasons, however one of which is NOT to gain an unfair advantage or to cheat...

DevilsFan

Reaction score
OK. Now you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. People who aren't bogged down by minutia talk about an asterisk for Barry because of performance enhancers.

The only people who care about asterisks are nitwit stat geeks like Bill James or armchair athletes who live and die by latest performance of their favorite ballplayer. The rest of us simply don't care.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard