Compensation for Budenholzer?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from ESPN:

Budenholzer met with Suns general manager Ryan McDonough and owner Robert Sarver early this week, but there was never traction on reaching a contract agreement as the week wore on, league sources said.

As the Suns kept interviewing candidates -- including David Fizdale and interim coach Jay Triano -- Budenholzer informed the Suns on Thursday that he would no longer be a candidate for the job, sources said.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ta-hawks-withdraws-phoenix-suns-consideration

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This smacks of the suns being cheap or bud not buying their plan for the future. Both suck

or Bud being worried about being the EXACT SAME position he's in now... with a new GM in a couple years because the last one failed (McD) and being stuck as the old guy with the new regime.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Or it could be the compensation. We shall see more as the information comes out.
Bud pulled out. Not the suns. Not the hawks saying no dice. What’s being reported is bud pulled his name. So while I’m interested to see what facts (if any) come out about this, I think it’s reasonable given past experience to make an initial guess that either suns didn’t pony up or presented something that bud thought was questionable in their plans for the future.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is from ESPN:

Budenholzer met with Suns general manager Ryan McDonough and owner Robert Sarver early this week, but there was never traction on reaching a contract agreement as the week wore on, league sources said.

As the Suns kept interviewing candidates -- including David Fizdale and interim coach Jay Triano -- Budenholzer informed the Suns on Thursday that he would no longer be a candidate for the job, sources said.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ta-hawks-withdraws-phoenix-suns-consideration
“Never any traction in reaching a contract agreement” sounds like suns lowballed him to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bud pulled out. Not the suns. Not the hawks saying no dice. What’s being reported is bud pulled his name. So while I’m interested to see what facts (if any) come out about this, I think it’s reasonable given past experience to make an initial guess that either suns didn’t pony up or presented something that bud thought was questionable in their plans for the future.

No doubt, money could definitely be an issue as well or perhaps it was a matter of control.

Bud may have wanted more control than the Suns were willing to give.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I hate what this team has become. Cheap, uncompetitive, and uninteresting. Sarver can't get out of his own way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate what this team has become. Cheap, uncompetitive, and uninteresting. Sarver can't get out of his own way.

Bordow said there was never any traction in hiring Bud.

I want to believe the best but why did the Suns spend two days with him?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

maybe because they really wanted him and after two days, he was like... no thanks. I'll stay with my own dumpster fire right now. Devil you know kinda thinking.

Or he's looking at the Bucks and just thinking... that is a MUCH better situation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Precisely. Seems like they have no idea what they’re looking for. Their candidates seem to be all over the place.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe because they really wanted him and after two days, he was like... no thanks. I'll stay with my own dumpster fire right now. Devil you know kinda thinking.

Or he's looking at the Bucks and just thinking... that is a MUCH better situation.

If the Suns were indecisive after two days I would understand why Bud would want to move on.

The Suns should have had a top target and if Bud was that... hire him.

This was not an inexperienced coach the Suns would have hired.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Precisely. Seems like they have no idea what they’re looking for. Their candidates seem to be all over the place.

So maybe the Suns move onto a cheaper option who does not require for the Suns to give compensation.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
So maybe the Suns move onto a cheaper option who does not require for the Suns to give compensation.
Man Im really tired of this team always getting sloppy seconds. When will something positive happen for a change? Im dreading watching the lottery for this very reason.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man Im really tired of this team always getting sloppy seconds. When will something positive happen for a change? Im dreading watching the lottery for this very reason.

It's not looking good at the moment for sure.

I'm hoping there is some legitimate reason for Bud withdrawing such the Hawks are now committed to keeping him.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

You can say that again.

Every post here since the news came out -- every single one of them -- points to our dysfunctional team and current history.

From his perspective, I don't blame Bud for pulling out. But it sure is disappointing.

From the laughingstock of the League to start the season to this. The Press, the fans, the City can do nothing about it.

How long are the other investors going to tolerate it?

Polecat

Reaction score
Is it possible Pop gave him a call
said "I'm done, the job is yours if you want it'
With his age
the loss of his wife
the Kawhi situation
maybe he's had enough

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welp... That sucks. If you think about it, we never thought he would even be a candidate so not much has changed from our original situation.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Sometimes you interview for a job and turn it down. Why is this such a difficult concept to understand? I've turned down a dozen jobs, and in most cases it had nothing to do with the company interviewing me/ offering me the job.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible Pop gave him a call
said "I'm done, the job is yours if you want it'
With his age
the loss of his wife
the Kawhi situation
maybe he's had enough

It's a thought but I can't see Pops going out this way. He is a fighter. Still he has a heavy load to carry.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you interview for a job and turn it down. Why is this such a difficult concept to understand? I've turned down a dozen jobs, and in most cases it had nothing to do with the company interviewing me/ offering me the job.

There had to be mutual interest at some point because Bud spent days with the Suns. A hurdle must have come up that couldn't be overcome.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
They wouldn’t pony up the money for him. Look at the track record with this franchise. Pretty easy to figure out.