Communication: Hicks vs Collins

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
prepare for frustration, it might look a lot like Simmons rookie year. Yes they have a training camp but I dont think that compensates for the communication premium attached to the middle backer spot.

he's the QB of the defense and Hicks spends a lot of mental capital getting everyone lined up presnap and reacting to audibles.

Do I want Collins starting day 1? sure.
do I think it happens? no.

We likely see him in situational edge roles first then a slow transition towards taking over for Hicks

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
prepare for frustration, it might look a lot like Simmons rookie year. Yes they have a training camp but I dont think that compensates for the communication premium attached to the middle backer spot.

he's the QB of the defense and Hicks spends a lot of mental capital getting everyone lined up presnap and reacting to audibles.

We likely see him in situational edge roles first then a slow transition towards taking over for Hicks

That would make this an inordinately stupid pick.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope they don't try to make this kid a true 3-4 OLB....he doesn't have that skillset...and it will be Reddick all over again.

Collins is an ILB, and could be a damn good one. Stick him behind Hicks for now, and lets hope to god he beats him out sooner than later.

This pick goes from questionable to pretty darn good if Collins is a day 1 starter and we are able to cut Hicks and use that money elsewhere.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yea if he doesn't get hurt during tcamp or preseason lol i can soooo see that

I do have faith in collins i like his physical traits and seems like a good ball hawk

Hope he works out on field we shall see

C grade imo

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Hicks is horrible, I don’t care how much perceived value he has for pre snap stuff but Simmons should be more than capable in that department.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I don’t know what games you guys watched last year, but I remember watching Hicks get burnt a lot. Like a lot, a lot.

Hicks is decent. Collins could be special.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t know what games you guys watched last year, but I remember watching Hicks get burnt a lot. Like a lot, a lot.

He has been getting burnt since mid 2019.

OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The communication has been made yesterday by Keim
HICKS IS OUT
yeah until the Dcoordinator has a say in it.... its Keims job to pump the noise on the draft picks and its Josephs job to onboard the new players correctly.... that being said, I want Collins starting day 1 and if thats the case then its a good pick

OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

no I'm with you, physically Hicks misses some plays that these more talented backers would make. I just dont know if people are properly valuing communication and should expect frustration when Hicks holds onto the role, at least at first.

For all we know, there's interceptions, saved touch downs, and big plays made by Hicks ability to communicate. I'm not saying he's special at it or anything but MLB communication is massive to a defense and Im not sure everyone recognizes that.

OP
OP
Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Also worth noting that Simmons will NEVER run the defense... he is too versatile and lines up all over the field... need to be in middle of defense to run coms

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
I watched the video of Keim and Kliff calling up Collins from the war room and the first thing collins and Keim said to each other was "no redshirting"

Also i think this all but seals Hicks fate as a June first cut.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I watched the video of Keim and Kliff calling up Collins from the war room and the first thing collins and Keim said to each other was "no redshirting"

Yeah, but Michael said "We're gonna get you on the field right away" to Simmons last year. Nothing's set in stone between May and September.

I don't think this is a big deal. We'll have a lot of veterans out there on the defense; wouldn't be surprised to see Budda wear the dot early if it comes to that.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

If and When coaches after watching practice tapes say "ahhhhh... This guy needs time". That is it. Another Simmons like year for Collins.

Having said that Hicks and Kennard will be post june cuts.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If true, makes me feel a bit better about the pick but didn't Hicks take a paycut earlier in the off-season? Would be shocked to see us cut him after that or even bench him for a rookie.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If true, makes me feel a bit better about the pick but didn't Hicks take a paycut earlier in the off-season? Would be shocked to see us cut him after that or even bench him for a rookie.

If they got a decent trade offer I'm sure they would move him but I think they keep him for experience and rotation.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

15 million over two years is cheap for a backup ILB?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We all want Collins to play right away but cutting Hicks would be dumb unless they think Evan Weaver is ready for snaps. Ride out Hicks and cut him after the season. Nobody is trading for him.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We all want Collins to play right away but cutting Hicks would be dumb unless they think Evan Weaver is ready for snaps. Ride out Hicks and cut him after the season. Nobody is trading for him.

No, they signed tallejo for depth and they have zeke Turner as well

Reaction score
Whether playcalling/communication might be adversely impacted is hard for any of us to know. But Collins is familiar playing the ILB position and making those calls, and I would add has above average intelligence, he was valedictorian at his high school, and played QB. Imo, he should be up for the task. Communication could actually be improved. . .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose