Communication: Hicks vs Collins

Zeem_Freeze

Banned
Reaction score
prepare for frustration, it might look a lot like Simmons rookie year. Yes they have a training camp but I dont think that compensates for the communication premium attached to the middle backer spot.

he's the QB of the defense and Hicks spends a lot of mental capital getting everyone lined up presnap and reacting to audibles.

Do I want Collins starting day 1? sure.
do I think it happens? no.

We likely see him in situational edge roles first then a slow transition towards taking over for Hicks

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
prepare for frustration, it might look a lot like Simmons rookie year. Yes they have a training camp but I dont think that compensates for the communication premium attached to the middle backer spot.

he's the QB of the defense and Hicks spends a lot of mental capital getting everyone lined up presnap and reacting to audibles.

We likely see him in situational edge roles first then a slow transition towards taking over for Hicks

That would make this an inordinately stupid pick.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hope they don't try to make this kid a true 3-4 OLB....he doesn't have that skillset...and it will be Reddick all over again.

Collins is an ILB, and could be a damn good one. Stick him behind Hicks for now, and lets hope to god he beats him out sooner than later.

This pick goes from questionable to pretty darn good if Collins is a day 1 starter and we are able to cut Hicks and use that money elsewhere.

mjb21aztd

Reaction score

Yea if he doesn't get hurt during tcamp or preseason lol i can soooo see that

I do have faith in collins i like his physical traits and seems like a good ball hawk

Hope he works out on field we shall see

C grade imo

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Hicks is horrible, I don’t care how much perceived value he has for pre snap stuff but Simmons should be more than capable in that department.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I don’t know what games you guys watched last year, but I remember watching Hicks get burnt a lot. Like a lot, a lot.

Hicks is decent. Collins could be special.

DVontel

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t know what games you guys watched last year, but I remember watching Hicks get burnt a lot. Like a lot, a lot.

He has been getting burnt since mid 2019.

Zeem_Freeze

Banned
Reaction score
The communication has been made yesterday by Keim
HICKS IS OUT
yeah until the Dcoordinator has a say in it.... its Keims job to pump the noise on the draft picks and its Josephs job to onboard the new players correctly.... that being said, I want Collins starting day 1 and if thats the case then its a good pick

Zeem_Freeze

Banned
Reaction score

no I'm with you, physically Hicks misses some plays that these more talented backers would make. I just dont know if people are properly valuing communication and should expect frustration when Hicks holds onto the role, at least at first.

For all we know, there's interceptions, saved touch downs, and big plays made by Hicks ability to communicate. I'm not saying he's special at it or anything but MLB communication is massive to a defense and Im not sure everyone recognizes that.

Zeem_Freeze

Banned
Reaction score
Also worth noting that Simmons will NEVER run the defense... he is too versatile and lines up all over the field... need to be in middle of defense to run coms

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the video of Keim and Kliff calling up Collins from the war room and the first thing collins and Keim said to each other was "no redshirting"

Also i think this all but seals Hicks fate as a June first cut.