Combine Preview: Top Prospects

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
A WR at 15 when you don't have a top 15 QB to throw him the ball might take our franchise to a new level of idiocy.

Larry Fitzgerald has been irrelevant outside of his time with Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer. What sort of impact do you think a rookie WR who will not be an all time WR can have with a worse QB than that?

I view people who want a round 1 WR when you don't have a legit NFL QB like people view flat earthers. It is almost impossible for me to understand the logic and thinking behind it, and there is almost no evidence that supports it as a good idea.

To me it all depends on what we do in free agency. If we sign someone acceptable, like Bradford or Bridgewater, and end up at #15 with 4 or 5 QBs off the board already, I'm not going to be too angry with the #1 regarded WR in the draft instead of the 5th or 6th QB. This team needs a replacement for Fitz. We need a QB more, but if there's more of a sure thing available at another position, take him instead of a guy you don't believe in.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
That is weak, maybe he's not so great after all. He's apparently not to confident and not hurt. If your a stud get out and show it!
Um...fairly common with top QB prospects at the combine.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There are four quarterbacks in the discussion to be the first taken which is unprecedented. A misstep at this point in the process can take you from being the number one overall pick in the draft to outside the top ten.

To me, unlike quarterbacks in the past, Darnold really doesn't have the luxury on not throwing at the combine.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Only QB in this draft I would salivate over the potential is Baker Mayfield. He's a winner. Everyone else is a putz, although I like Jackson as a person.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There are four quarterbacks in the discussion to be the first taken which is unprecedented. A misstep at this point in the process can take you from being the number one overall pick in the draft to outside the top ten.

To me, unlike quarterbacks in the past, Darnold really doesn't have the luxury on not throwing at the combine.

sure he does. Teams have two years of tape showing him throw the ball. Throwing in shorts at the combine aint going to change anything unless a guy has accuracy concerns and shows improvement at the combine (Allen, Jackson)

Darnold is going to Indy for interviews and testing. To show how his head works... he has nothing to prove as a passer.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Unless Jackson can put on 25 lbs, he's going to get broken in the NFL.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
My number one QB is Mayfield. I am not getting caught up in this whole existence of Manziel coming before him. There is a huge freaking difference between the two character wise, you know the part which establishes your foundation, it's called Mayfield has had to earn every freaking thing he has gotten when Manziel has not. My second choice is Lamar Jackson. I have to admit I remember his play before this and I was enthralled by him and then became skittish over all the negative hype but I look at what he is during his whole tenure and I think he can be special too

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
My number one QB is Mayfield. I am not getting caught up in this whole existence of Manziel coming before him. There is a huge freaking difference between the two character wise, you know the part which establishes your foundation, it's called Mayfield has had to earn every freaking thing he has gotten when Manziel has not. My second choice is Lamar Jackson. I have to admit I remember his play before this and I was enthralled by him and then became skittish over all the negative hype but I look at what he is during his whole tenure and I think he can be special too

they both have solid upside and I think we can benefit from Josh Allen moving up draft boards.....seen on nfln Mayock has Allen rated ahead of Rosen now... that can only help someone else slide to us, lol.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Darnold is going to Indy for interviews and testing. To show how his head works... he has nothing to prove as a passer.
He's already failing the "how his head works" criteria by not being willing to fully participate at the combine.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's already failing the "how his head works" criteria by not being willing to fully participate at the combine.
Most top QB prospects don't. They don't want be exposed by the media and usually wait for their pro days where its usually just coaches and GM's.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
that might be true if there were questions regarding his maturity. But there is not.
Now, a guy like Baker... he needs to show up, prove he can jump through all the hoops with a smile... even though I dont think he has any serious issues either, but he has gotten some bad press, so he needs to show he can play well with others. Sam Darnold is so far the "cleanest" QB in the draft class(at least of the first rounders)so this aint gonna hurt him at all..

side note: last summer there were rumors...'RUMORS" out here in cali that Sam didnt want to play for the Jets and other reports about Rosen not wanting to play for the Browns... Darnold nipped those in the bud pretty quickly and recently Rosen has done the same...
Could it be possible he hopes not throwing at the combine pisses off the Browns and they choose Rosen instead? I dont think so but crazier things have happened. The big money aint on the rookie contract anyway, its on the second...and Sam will go in the first round barring some global catastrophe... I dont think it makes a huge difference if a guy is picked #1 or #5...or even #15... if he is successful, three or four years down the road he is gonna get a $150mil contract

saving it for the pro day is an agent strategy.... throwing to WR's he is familiar with limits miscues so as long as he makes the throw there will be a catch... at the combine there are lots of miscues because players are not familiar with each other.
it can back fire. If he only throws for 60% at his pro day...he will drop on lots of draft boards.

I would love to see Sam throw... but it aint hurting him not to because even if he had a bad day at the combine every scout in the building would direct you back to the tape.

the kid is represented by the same guys who repped Manning, Romo, Rivers, JJ Watt and Luke Keuchly... pretty sure they know what they are doing.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are entitled to your opinion.But after watching every game Jackson has played in i say you don`t know what the hell you are talking about.
Now that is just plain mean.:devil:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Now that is just plain mean.

It was also mean of you---after I spent several hours researching and writing my post---that all you could offer was a snarky "Please stop with the Lamar Jackson, No potential WR should go that high."

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
You are entitled to your opinion.But after watching every game Jackson has played in i say you don`t know what the hell you are talking about.
I've watched every game he's played and I've seen him miss wide open receivers. I've seen him overthrow short and intermediate routes. I've seen him struggle with progressions. I've seen him take off running when he's had 2 open receivers downfield. His throws are erratic. He doesn't really posses the 3 most desirable qualities in a QB, decision making, timing and accuracy.

There are tools to work with though. He does have a very strong arm and he has a lightning quick release. And the obvious, he is electrifying with the ball in his hands. But as far as passing, he is a major project that will take several years to develop. I'd rather pass on him in the first. I think there is a better project that will pay better dividends that can be had later in the draft.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was also mean of you---after I spent several hours researching and writing my post---that all you could offer was a snarky "Please stop with the Lamar Jackson, No potential WR should go that high."

Really. That was not personal. I commented on the player and it was meant to be humorous. I read your tomes fully and appreciate your contributions, but do not agree with some of it.

I view him as one of the most talented "athletes" in the draft, but his talent does not translate to NFL QB IMNSHO.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Really. That was not personal. I commented on the player and it was meant to be humorous. I read your tomes fully and appreciate your contributions, but do not agree with some of it.

I view him as one of the most talented "athletes" in the draft, but his talent does not translate to NFL QB IMNSHO.

I appreciate you as a fellow member and feel like we have always gotten along, but I hope you understand what it feels like to write a detailed thread about 15 prospects and the first member to respond singles out one of the 15 he doesn't like and makes it sound like I am crazy to like a QB like Jackson. Which, when you think about it, is not much different than what BW52 said to you from the opposite point of view.

You say it was supposed to be humorous, but then you actually defend your position that Jackson won't work as a QB and should be a WR. Thus, your comment wasn't meant to be humorous---which is exactly how I took it.

I can understand and respect your opinion, when it is stated respectfully and meant to enhance a discussion. Many people are very divided about Jackson. Then again, so were many people divided about Deshaun Watson. It's worth a discussion---not a scornful "please stop" dismissal.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate you as a fellow member and feel like we have always gotten along, but I hope you understand what it feels like to write a detailed thread about 15 prospects and the first member to respond singles out one of the 15 he doesn't like and makes it sound like I am crazy to like a QB like Jackson. Which, when you think about it, is not much different than what BW52 said to you from the opposite point of view.

You say it was supposed to be humorous, but then you actually defend your position that Jackson won't work as a QB and should be a WR. Thus, your comment wasn't meant to be humorous---which is exactly how I took it.

I can understand and respect your opinion, when it is stated respectfully and meant to enhance a discussion. Many people are very divided about Jackson. Then again, so were many people divided about Deshaun Watson. It's worth a discussion---not a scornful "please stop" dismissal.

I did say "please".

BTW, Deshaun Watson's NFL career has lasted less than 6 games before major injury due to style of play. Can we "please" wait for the jury? RQBs do not last in the NFL. Jackson has the skills to be a potential game changing running slot receiver/WR. His skill set as a RQB is glaringly devoid.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson