Combine Preview: Top Prospects

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Heading into this week's NFL Combine, there are number of top prospects the Cardinals may be keeping a close eye on. Here are some of the prospects that may be excellent fits for the Cardinals in Rounds 1, 2 and 3.

Round 1: Pick #15

QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville. As of right now, Jackson is considered the #5 rated QB behind Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield. If this holds true, then there is a chance that Jackson could be on the board at #15. if he is---the Cardinals should sprint his name to the podium. Jackson is the epitome of the new dual-threat QB in the NFL. No other QB in this draft will pose as much problems for opposing defenses and their coordinators, because of Jackson electrifying running ability. Teams would have to spy on him, which means taking a man out of coverage and creating more room in the passing game. Jackson has a big time arm. He needs to refine his mechanics, but it is an arm and a competitor to believe in.

C Billy Price, Ohio St. Was it just coincidence that 3 of the top 5 rated centers in the NFL (per PFF) were playing in the conference championship games and the Super Bowl? AFC: JAX---Brandon Linder (84.7, #4); NE---David Andrews (81.8, #5); NFC: PHI---Jason Kelce (91.3, #1). In today's NFL building a strong offensive line starts iwith the center---and today's centers need to be physical and athletic, as defenses love to storm the A gaps. Billy Price could do for the Cardinals what Jason Kelce has done for the Eagles.

WR Christian Kirk, Texas A&M. While Alabama's Calvin Ridley is thus far the top rated WR, Christian Kirk, because of his versatility, could be the best fit for the Cardinals. if the Cardinals want Kirk, they either have to take him at #15 or trade up from #47, because Kirk is going to be drafted in the top 40, and most likely in the second half of the first round. In Kirk, the Cardinals would get the most explosive slot WR and punt returner in the draft, thus filling two of the Cardinals' most pressing needs. Kirk is breathtaking in the open field and he would instantly command the attention of the FS, because of his home run speed.

LB Leighton Vander Esch, Boise St. Chances are very high that Roquan Smith (Georgia) and Tremaine Edmunds (Virginia Tech) will be off the board at #15. However, Leighton Vander Esch fits exactly what the Cardinals need at ILB. He's a downhill tackler and a a tall, athletic daunting presence in pass coverage, both in man and zone. If there is a player in this draft who can do the types of things that Luke Kuechly can do, that player is Vander Esch.

DB Derwin James, Florida St. What the Cardinals under Steve Wilks want are DBs who have length, athleticism and a rockem-sockem style of play. Derwin James fits that bill to a tee. He is an alpha dog of the highest pedigree. And he can play anywhere in the defensive backfield. He has the range and speed to play FS, and the physical prowess to play SS and CB.

Round 2: Pick #47.

QB Kyle Lauletta, Richmond.
Lauletta will be one of the most highly scrutinized prospects at the Combine. His week in Mobile at the Senior Bowl was eye-opening for the scouts. Lauletta lacks ideal height, but he is a good athlete with a strong, accurate arm and good enough feet to extend plays. If Lauletta continues to turn heads at the Combine, there's a chance he could be taken in Round 2.

C/G Isaiah Wynn, Georgia. Next to Billy Price, Wynn is the most talented center in the draft. He is smart, strong and surprisingly agile. The odds are he will be taken earlier than at #47, but if he's on the board at #47, he would be very difficult to pass up.

WR D.J. Moore, Maryland. Next to Christian Kirk, D.J. Moore is the most dynamic all-purpose WR in the draft. Moore is very much in the WR mold of his fellow Terrapin Stefon Diggs of the Vikings. Super quick, sure handed and very elusive in the open field.

LB Darius Leonard, South Carolina St. Watching him chase down the ball carrier play after play at the Senior Bowl with such natural speed and tackling prowess, he looked like a young version of the Panthers' Thomas Davis. Leonard would be an immediate fit in Steve Wilks' defense---a 3 down LB like Davis who can go gangbusters versus the run and play fast and sticky in coverage.

DB Justin Reid, Stanford. Brother of the 49ers' Eric Reed, Justin has very similar size, speed and pop. What is noteworthy about Justin is his outstanding play recognition. He is a pro at snuffing out plays. Plus, he can excel both in man and zone coverage.

Round 3: Picks #79 and #97.

RB Rashaad Penny, San Diego St.
Brother of the Cardinals' Elijaah, Penny led the nation in rushing as a senior. He keeps a low center of gravity, can lower the shoulder and move forward contact, but also has a second gear in the open field. Good receiver and kickoff returner.

C James Daniels, Iowa/Frank Ragnow, Arkansas.
James Daniels or Arkansas' Frank Ragnow would be a steal for the Cardinals in the 3rd round. Daniels is much like Isaiah Wynn---poised, sneaky strong and flexible. Ragnow was hampered by injuries his senior season, but prior to that was thought of as the top center prospect in this class. Ragnow plays with commendable strength and leverage.

WR Anthony Miller, Memphis.
Depending on his 40 time, Anthony Miller might be on the board in round 3, because some scouts wonder if he can hold up physically in the NFL and question how well he can separate from NFL CBs. Miller stacked outstanding seasons the past two years racking up 2,896 receiving yards and 32 TDs. While he did break down physically at the end of this season, he gutted it out and still produced.

DB Quenton Meeks, Stanford.
Meeks is the epitome of a Steve Wilks CB. He's 6-2, 200 and plays a physical ball-hawking style. He might not run a great 40, but if he does, chances are he will be a top 80 pick.

FB Jaylen Samuels, NC St./Dimitri Flowers, Oklahoma.
Now that the Cardinals are back in the FB market, two players stand out in this draft. Jaylen Samuels is extremely versatile---can play RB/FB/H-back and TE and runs and catches like Larry Centers. Flowers is a thick, powerful athlete who was particularly dynamic in the red zone at Oklahoma.

Last edited:

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Man I am geeked for the combine! I'm just going to roll through a few of the players you listed and comment if I agree or disagree/question.

Agree:

Lamar Jackson: I just love the kid and his potential. He has the athletic gifts of Michael Vick, but has a much better work ethic and humbleness that I believe will allow him to reach a ceiling that Vick wasn't willing to work for.

Christian Kirk: Love his explosiveness and toughness.

Isaiah Wynn: He has elite feet, athleticism, technique and toughness. Even at 6'2 he dominated the best the SEC could offer while playing LT. He will be a great OG. I couldn't find tape of him at OC, but if he can play there too it only adds to his versatility.

James Daniels: He is actually my favorite OC. Elite size, athleticism and awareness. Coaches rave about his character. If the QB we want isn't there, he would definitely be on my shortlist at 15.

Quenton Meeks: Everything you said. Only questions I would have is long speed

Anthony Miller: Elite competitiveness. Plays much bigger than size

Disagree:

Kyle Lauletta: I don't hate him, but 2nd round is a little to early for me. I have questions about his arm strength. I will be interested how he compares at combine throwing next to other QB's. If I'm wrong, then he deserves 2nd round consideration.

Darius Leonard: Once again, like the player, but don't love him. I just didn't see enough on tape to justify mid second round.

*** Taven Bryan is the guy that is going to make a name for himself to the general public. Scouting departments already have noticed his strength and explosion on tape. His stats do not give justice to the havoc that he caused.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If I was the Cards I would really consider drafting 2 QBs..I really think Lauletta could be had in the late third or early 4th round and would not be opposed to drafting him there even if we did select Jackson in round 1.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disappointing as all the other top qbs are throwing at the Combine.

Adam Schefte

USC QB Sam Darnold, regarded by many as the potential No. 1 overall pick, will not throw at this week’s combine, and will focus on athletic testing and interviews instead, per source. He will throw at USC’s Pro Day on 3/21.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Adam Schefte

USC QB Sam Darnold, regarded by many as the potential No. 1 overall pick, will not throw at this week’s combine, and will focus on athletic testing and interviews instead, per source. He will throw at USC’s Pro Day on 3/21.
Kind of, but I think everyone knows what kind of arm he has. Maybe he's trying to sabotage the Browns taking him?
It's possible Rosen or Allen could jump him in standing after the combine by him not throwing.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Lauletta was listed 6'3 217 at senior bowl
Doesn't lack anything in terms of size

Yep, his biggest knock will be coming from a small school and the step up in level of competition. He is a developmental guy for sure.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dont know why there are qb's who decide to not throwing at combine
Is a fair situation to show the skillset
Thats why I prefer competitor like mayfield, who showed off at senior bowl and he will do the same in Indianapolis, extremely confident on his talent and eager to show to the people is a legit top pick

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There could be some really good players that drop if 4 QBs go early. If the Cardinals stay at #15 overall My top prospects for the Cardinals would be:

At #15 overall:

Josh Allen, QB

Baker Mayfield, QB

Calvin Ridley, WR

Vita Vea, DT

Maurice Hurst, DT

Mike Hughes, CB

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A WR at 15 when you don't have a top 15 QB to throw him the ball might take our franchise to a new level of idiocy.

Larry Fitzgerald has been irrelevant outside of his time with Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer. What sort of impact do you think a rookie WR who will not be an all time WR can have with a worse QB than that?

I view people who want a round 1 WR when you don't have a legit NFL QB like people view flat earthers. It is almost impossible for me to understand the logic and thinking behind it, and there is almost no evidence that supports it as a good idea.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If I had to give a couple top options to look at for the 15 spot, it would be these.

C - Billy Price: Good C class, but he is special. 10 year NFL guy at arguably the most important spot on the line.

OG - Quenton Nelson: He is probably gone, but OGs going in the top 10 are far from a lock. This kid is a beast, and you get 5 cost controlled years before you have to pay him.

QB - Baker Mayfield: I have no interest in trading up for Baker, but if he is available at 15, he is tough to pass up.

DL - Vita Vea: The amount of snaps he can play makes him standout to me. He is a guy who can take over games inside.

and there are a billion LBs that we could justify at that spot.

CB - Josh Jackson: You have to be impressed by the number of plays he makes. I do believe that it would be impactful to have a guy who can turn the ball over opposite of Peterson.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I
It's not about race but the twittersphere likes to make it about race. Tweeters love him as a QB, scouts do not.

"
Lamar Jackson will be advised by his mother rather than an agent for the time being, according to a report.

NFL Media’s Jane Slater says the former Louisville quarterback will enter the NFL Scouting Combine being advised by his mother Felicia for now.

Jackson enters the combine as a controversial player. The former Heisman Trophy winner successfully played quarterback at Louisville and has been mentioned as a potential late first, early second round pick. Despite that, some NFL analysts have suggested he should move to wide receiver. Jackson did not appreciate that talk.

Jackson threw for 69 touchdowns and 27 interceptions during his career, while rushing for 50 TDs."

Last edited:

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont know why there are qb's who decide to not throwing at combine
Is a fair situation to show the skillset
Thats why I prefer competitor like mayfield, who showed off at senior bowl and he will do the same in Indianapolis, extremely confident on his talent and eager to show to the people is a legit top pick
Agree. Scouts and personnel people don't care if you miss an unfamiliar receiver as long as the pass goes where it was supposed to go. At his pro day he will throw to his WRs and use a script. Sounds like an agent's decision.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Chad Reuter's 4 Round Mock Cardinals trade up
To #8 with Bears to pick QB Lamar Jackson. Bears get the Cardinals’ #15 + the Cardinals’ 2019 1st round pick.

Picks:

1. QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville—-my grade: A
2. CB Jaire Alexander, Louisville—-my grade: B- (not BPA at #47, imo—-in round 3 yes)—-my pick here: C Billy Price, Ohio St.
3. WR Simmi Cobbs, Indiana—-my grade: B- (not BPA at #79—-too many drops and so-so speed)—-my pick here: QB Kyle Lauletta, Richmond
3. G Sam Jones, Arizona St.—-my grade: B (not BPA at #97—-round 4 or 5 would be good)—-my pick here S Quin Blanding, Virginia
4. WR Byron Pringle, Kansas St.—-my grade: A (Like him enough to take him earlier—-speedy, home run threat)

How would you rate this draft? Using Reuter’s board, what would your picks be? Here’s the link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...n=tw-nf-sf183157037-sf183157037&sf183157037=1

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score

Adam Schefte

That is weak, maybe he's not so great after all. He's apparently not to confident and not hurt. If your a stud get out and show it!