Colts: Planned on moving Manning weeks ago

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports the Colts were planning to move on from Peyton Manning "weeks ago."

LaCanfora cites sources who were involved in the Colts' GM search earlier in the month, well before public words were exchanged between Manning and owner Jim Irsay. "So Friday's joint statement won't be changing a thing," explains LaCanfora. The Colts will "almost certainly" cut Manning loose before the start of the NFL Scouting Combine, which kicks off on Feb. 22 in Indianapolis.

rotoworld

IF he's 100%, bring him in.......maybe he can bring Reggie Wayne over too for a 1-2 year Super Bowl run.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Listened on Saturday to a discussion on NFL Network. They are convinced that Peyton Manning will be a free agent and sign with the Jets. HC Rex Ryan loves Manning and they will give him a big dollar deal. Also feel that Peyton would love the New York scene and feels the Jets with him are a Super Bowl team. Also a big plus is that Tom Moore the longtime OC for the Colts and Peyton's mentor is a consultant with the Jets.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Listened on Saturday to a discussion on NFL Network. They are convinced that Peyton Manning will be a free agent and sign with the Jets. HC Rex Ryan loves Manning and they will give him a big dollar deal. Also feel that Peyton would love the New York scene and feels the Jets with him are a Super Bowl team. Also a big plus is that Tom Moore the longtime OC for the Colts and Peyton's mentor is a consultant with the Jets.

"They" were Wilcots and Millen. Their personal opinion and not the Networks or the long list of other prognosticators on their shows. La Confora, for example, sees him more likely in the NFC West.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I think he signs with the 49ers

Doubt it...like I said in another thread, Alex Smith played well enough to get a long-term contract, but bad enough that he still isn't a consistent threat offensively. Worked out well for the rest of the division.

Plus, they also have Kapernick (sp) on the bench, who Harbaugh still likes.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peyton and Rex Ryan would be a disaster of epic proportions. Manning ain't dumb.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I still think money will talk. Mr. B. will need to pony up the scrilla.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
Of the teams supposedly in play (Ari., Sea., Was., N.Y.J., and S.F.) I personally think that the Jets make the most sense. The Cards would be a close second though. The one thing that would keep him away from Arizona would most likely be the very thing that has held this club back for many years now. The O-line.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the teams supposedly in play (Ari., Sea., Was., N.Y.J., and S.F.) I personally think that the Jets make the most sense. The Cards would be a close second though. The one thing that would keep him away from Arizona would most likely be the very thing that has held this club back for many years now. The O-line.

I agree. Something like 26 teams will be interested in signing Manning. Money alone is not going to be enough. We are a long shot, at best, to get him with our oline situation.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The jets absolutely do not make sense, and the only reason their name is out there is because of the east coast media.

Peyton will NOT be a Jet.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and Sanchez would get traded to the Seahawks.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doubt it...like I said in another thread, Alex Smith played well enough to get a long-term contract, but bad enough that he still isn't a consistent threat offensively. Worked out well for the rest of the division.

Plus, they also have Kapernick (sp) on the bench, who Harbaugh still likes.
Alex Smith needs more than Vernon Davis to throw to. So would Manning. Ginn is brutally bad. Crabtree is meh. Williams may be a terminal basket case after his last game.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I don't know why?

Peyton has played his whole career in a dome.

AZ is an easier path to the tournament.

Peyton (like Warner) made the Indy 0-line a lot better than it was.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The jets absolutely do not make sense, and the only reason their name is out there is because of the east coast media.

Peyton will NOT be a Jet.

I would say that they make some sense.

Tom Moore is there.
They have a better O-Line by a mile.
They run the ball with more conviction.
Ownership has proved that they will spend the money.
NYC could have some appeal to him.

I still think we are the much better choice, but to say they have no shot is a bit short-sighted IMO.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They run the ball with more conviction.

That's not a plus when Manning is concerned.

Kurt Warner and quick release passing won behind this oline - and made it look better than it was, so the oline concern IMO isn't that big of a deal, especially if we work on it in the offseason.

Rex Ryan's asshattery trumps just about everyone else they could have on the coaching staff - Peyton doesn't want to be coached by an egotistical jerkwad.

Not that there's no chance for the Jets, but unlikely, IMO.

OP
OP
sportznutt

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
Alex Smith needs more than Vernon Davis to throw to. So would Manning. Ginn is brutally bad. Crabtree is meh. Williams may be a terminal basket case after his last game.

Manning made a lot of receivers good.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That's not a plus when Manning is concerned.

Kurt Warner and quick release passing won behind this oline - and made it look better than it was, so the oline concern IMO isn't that big of a deal, especially if we work on it in the offseason.

Rex Ryan's asshattery trumps just about everyone else they could have on the coaching staff - Peyton doesn't want to be coached by an egotistical jerkwad.

Not that there's no chance for the Jets, but unlikely, IMO.

If he is looking to take less hits and extend his career it might be.

I really agree with the bolded statement. IMO it trumps most of the positives about the Jets.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[The Jets] run the ball with more conviction.
2011:
Jets 28 rushes for 106 yards per game
Cards 24 rushes for 102 yards per game with a hobbling Beanie and Williams on I/R.

2010:
Colts 25 rushes for 93 yards per game

Doesn't look like that much more conviction to me... and certainly no more success. I think Manning is accustomed to a system where the team runs just enough to keep the defense honest... which should sound pretty familiar to a Cards fan. With a hopefully healthier Beanie and Williams, the Cardinals should be able to do that with more success than the Colts did last year!

...dave

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
2011:
Jets 28 rushes for 106 yards per game
Cards 24 rushes for 102 yards per game with a hobbling Beanie and Williams on I/R.

2010:
Colts 25 rushes for 93 yards per game

Doesn't look like that much more conviction to me... and certainly no more success. I think Manning is accustomed to a system where the team runs just enough to keep the defense honest... which should sound pretty familiar to a Cards fan. With a hopefully healthier Beanie and Williams, the Cardinals should be able to do that with more success than the Colts did last year!

...dave

One of the main reasons Shottenheimer was getting heat as OC was because the offense shifted from a bruising run game to trusting Sanchez more with the pass. It ultimately led to his dismissal. All season the complaints were very loud.

IIRC they led the NFL in rushing the two years previous to this one. And they made the AFC title game with that style.

Sparano is going to implement a much simpler offense that once again focuses on the run.

Anyways.... I think we have the inside position on this one.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The Jets OL is very overrated. They have Mangold and nobody else. I don't think Hunter and Ferguson are much of an improvement, if any at all, over Keith and Brown. Our OG's were better than theirs last year.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There will be at least 20 teams that would be foolish not to make a courtesy call to check on his health and price range.
Of them, maybe half get past that point.
Of that half, probably another half get into a serious bidding war.

A question is this: How unlikely is it that if AZ becomes a serious bidder would it be that CC gets anything but a franchise tag this year? Not so great, which would be a bit of a shame.

Another question: If AZ signs him, are we assuming that the offense learns how Peyton plays, that Manning learns the Cardinal offense, or that there's a meeting in the middle?

Is Joe back? I'd like to know what the projected difference between a deal this year and next will be.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The Jets OL is very overrated. They have Mangold and nobody else. I don't think Hunter and Ferguson are much of an improvement, if any at all, over Keith and Brown. Our OG's were better than theirs last year.

Football outsiders has them at #7 in run blocking and # 17 in pass protection.

We finished # 15 in Run and # 27 in pass. In 2010 they were top 10 in both categories while we were worse in run (#21) and the exact same in pass (#27) thus proving Russ Grimm is a poor coach.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

As far as overrated..... I would be very happy to have one of the top 2 or 3 centers in the league accompanied with a muti-time pro-bowl left tackle.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave