Colts announce Shane Steichen is their new head coach

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree that good coaching/coaches can help a qb improve, but (a big one), the qb has to want to improve and put in the extra time/work in all facets to do so. I'm not so sure that we have one like that. :shrug: .
At least that is the impression I get from reading on here.
We’re going to find out, aren’t we. I disagree 100% with that narrative, but time will tell.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not just Hurts. He mentored Herbert too
Makes total sense we wouldn’t even kick the tires here.

Good to see the Cardinals come in dear last as far as putting together a coaching staff… again. Way to learn from your prior mistakes schmohawks.

Last edited:

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, if, for the sake of argument, the Steichen offence is the best fit for KM there are one or two Philly offensive coaches who are quite familiar with it, and if Gannon gets the H-C job, they may be in for a promotion.
My guess is Steichen might try to take some of those guys with him.
However, that would be right up Bidwill's wheelhouse. Instead of going after the big catch. Let's just save some money and try and get some of the lower end assistants on the cheap. Maybe they can do half as good for half the price.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My guess is Steichen might try to take some of those guys with him.
However, that would be right up Bidwill's wheelhouse. Instead of going after the big catch. Let's just save some money and try and get some of the lower end assistants on the cheap. Maybe they can do half as good for half the price.

We have no idea what transpired, if anything, regarding Steichen, but he was an odds-on favourite for the Indy job for some weeks, according to scuttlebutt.

Portraying the guy who'll be paying millions upon millions to the now departed GM and head coach, plus the replacement costs, as penny-pincher borders on hilarious.

I'll go with the always unpopular glass-half-full approach on this issue.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We have no idea what transpired, if anything, regarding Steichen, but he was an odds-on favourite for the Indy job for some weeks, according to scuttlebutt.

Portraying the guy who'll be paying millions upon millions to the now departed GM and head coach, plus the replacement costs, as penny-pincher borders on hilarious.

I'll go with the always unpopular glass-half-full approach on this issue.
You must not have followed this team for very long. What’s hilarious is that you think the words penny pincher and Bidwill have not collided in numerous sentences over the many years. Especially when the old man was in charge.
Most of us knew it wasn’t a very smart move to sign those guys in the first place. It would have been even stupider to keep them on for monetary reasons.
Based on those bad decisions to re-sign last year and how this current train wreck of a coaching search has gone, I would lean on the half empty side

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must not have followed this team for very long. What’s hilarious is that you think the words penny pincher and Bidwill have not collided in numerous sentences over the many years. Especially when the old man was in charge.
Most of us knew it wasn’t a very smart move to sign those guys in the first place. It would have been even stupider to keep them on for monetary reasons.
Based on those bad decisions to re-sign last year and how this current train wreck of a coaching search has gone, I would lean on the half empty side

NewsFlash: 'Dollar' Bill has assumed room temperature.

And it's certainly hilarious in a convoluted way to point to recent spending mistakes as supporting your suggestion that MB is out to save money.

In a season or two or three, we'll know if the current coach search was a 'train wreck.'

This assessment will include how well other successful candidates with other teams have done.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The one guy who may be a worse owner is Jim “Tommy Boy” Irsay. So I’m not too worried about who the Colts hired.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting that most are criticizing Bidwill for not hiring Steichen but no one is wondering why Monti didn't go after him. Meanwhile Bidwill let Monti get the guy he wanted in Gannon.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Interesting that most are criticizing Bidwill for not hiring Steichen but no one is wondering why Monti didn't go after him. Meanwhile Bidwill let Monti get the guy he wanted in Gannon.
Who says, or how do you know that this is an MO hire, and not a Bidwill hire? Is it speculation, rumor or did MB say it somewhere?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’ll be curious to see how fast they solve their QB issues.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who says, or how do you know that this is an MO hire, and not a Bidwill hire? Is it speculation, rumor or did MB say it somewhere?
There is a story out there that in the last cycle when Monti interviewed for thr GM spot he didnt have any real coaching connections, which hurt him. He zeroed in on a few coaches to get to know over the last year and Gannon became his #1 choice.