Colorado Rockies @ Arizona Diamondbacks WildCard Game Thread Oct 4 2017

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After saying you hate all AZ teams, Im not sure your allowed to watch?;)

yeah... that should have said "I hate being an Arizona sports fan."

But I've been RELISHING a chance to BEAT LA in SOMETHING BIG since that psychopath caught Kobes air ball and flipped up a prayer that all but bounced the Suns out of the playoffs.

This is that chance. LA IS TERRIFIED OF PHOENIX FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I MOVED HERE. MAKE THEIR WORST NIGHTMARE AND MY DREAM COME TRUE!

BEAT LA! BEAT LA! BEAT LA!!!!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Split at Dodger Stadium and win games 3 and 4 at home. We don't want a game 5 in L.A.

Yea, that's the ticket.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
yeah... that should have said "I hate being an Arizona sports fan."

But I've been RELISHING a chance to BEAT LA in SOMETHING BIG since that psychopath caught Kobes air ball and flipped up a prayer that all but bounced the Suns out of the playoffs.

This is that chance. LA IS TERRIFIED OF PHOENIX FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I MOVED HERE. MAKE THEIR WORST NIGHTMARE AND MY DREAM COME TRUE!

BEAT LA! BEAT LA! BEAT LA!!!!

It's weird. When I was growing up in the Phoenix area, the Diamondbacks didn't exist, but I could get Dodgers games on the radio. So I became a fan of theirs, and made sure all of my college friends knew about their 1988 World Series victory.

By the time the Diamondbacks were created, I no longer lived in the area, so they were never a "home team" for me. As a Suns fan, I totally get needing Phoenix to beat Los Angeles, but in baseball, that connection isn't there. Coincidentally, I now live in the Los Angeles area, so it makes sense to continue following the Dodgers.

All that said, I fully expect the Diamondbacks to win this series, probably in four games. The Dodgers haven't really recovered from their huge losing streak, and the elephant in the room is the fact that Kershaw sucks in the postseason, and probably always will. So, my guess is that you'll have plenty to be happy about in another week or so.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's weird. When I was growing up in the Phoenix area, the Diamondbacks didn't exist, but I could get Dodgers games on the radio. So I became a fan of theirs, and made sure all of my college friends knew about their 1988 World Series victory.

By the time the Diamondbacks were created, I no longer lived in the area, so they were never a "home team" for me. As a Suns fan, I totally get needing Phoenix to beat Los Angeles, but in baseball, that connection isn't there. Coincidentally, I now live in the Los Angeles area, so it makes sense to continue following the Dodgers.

All that said, I fully expect the Diamondbacks to win this series, probably in four games. The Dodgers haven't really recovered from their huge losing streak, and the elephant in the room is the fact that Kershaw sucks in the postseason, and probably always will. So, my guess is that you'll have plenty to be happy about in another week or so.

Never lived a day in Phoenix while the Backs took root, but I immediately became a fan. Spent every penny I had back in 2001 to fly back to Phoenix AND pay for tickets to Game 1, 2, 6 and GLORIOUS GAME 7 of the Diamondbacks and Al Queda vs. The Yankees and The Rest Of The World World Series.

I don't know how you did it E. I could and WOULD NEVER become a LA fan... for ANY TEAM... or ANY REASON.

BEAT LA!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
OK... My breakdown:

- In the post-season, EVERYTHING becomes magnified. Decision-making by players and coaches...Errors... Moving a runner from 2nd to 3rd with less than two outs. Hitting, or not, with runners in scoring positions. ALL of it takes on an incalculable degree of importance now.
I like that Torey went with Descalso at second base over Drury. Daniel has played in 40 or so post season games... Drury? Zero... Descalso is a more consistent fielder as well and again, in the post season there is simply NO margin for errors!
Clearly, a one gamer is perhaps no more predictable than a coin-flip... So anyone who says "I know how this will go" can't be relied upon whatsoever.
The Rockies offense is about as explosive as any offense has ever been. Literally, the entire lineup, sans Gray (who did hit a homerun off of us) can bash! However, Colorado is not nearly as explosive on the road... and, given Greinke's performance this season at home, we have to like his chances for pitching well and late into the game!
For me, the game hinges on just that... Zack simply has to show up. If we get bad Zack and the Rockies quickly go up by 4 or 5 runs by the 3rd inning, well... I believe we'll have to take our 93 wins on the season and feel good about that. However, if Zack is still pitching into the 6th inning, I really, really like our chances.
Additionally, this will be the very first post-season game, let alone start, for the young John Gray. He's been nails against us this season, but this will be Greinke's 10th post-season start! And given his performance at home this year, ya gotta believe Gray will, early or mid-game, succumb to the pressure, while Zack does what he's done at home all year...
Goldy did not have a great September and that is indeed troubling. While the Dbacks showed this season they can win without contributions from Goldy, there can be no question that tonight, winning will come much harder without Goldy playing a role. Let's hope he snaps out of this late-season slump! He showed the ability to pull himself out of short-lived slumps this season, I'm betting on him to do just that again tonight!
I think AJ could play a large role tonight as well... In the field, at the plate and on base. His defense will be critical! He showed very positive signs at the plate in September and his speed on the basis should be HUGE in terms of stealing a bag when needed and taking the extra base when able.
Have no idea about Lamb... He's wildcard for sure. Horrendous second half - again. Yet, late in September he showed glimpses, tiny as they were, that he may have found his swing again. But really, if he went 0-4 and left multiple runners in scoring position, it wouldn't be any surprise as that's what he did the entire second half...
Perralta is intriguing. If he can remain patient at the plate and NOT swing at clear balls, he too can be a factor. It would be tremendously helpful if he can get on-base, alot! He'll have to show a degree of plate-discipline he rarely showed this season however...
And then there's JD... Thinking about him, you have to believe there is an immense amount of weight on his shoulders coming into tonight. I mean, he virtually single-handidly carried this team from the moment he became a Dback! He put together one of the alltime great second half's! And given the slumping Goldy and Lamb's atrocious second half, everyone is looking to JD to be our Mr. October... huge pressure for sure. I hope he can somehow push all of that aside and just be himself... If he can, I REALLY like our chances.
Defense is crucial... you give away outs in the post-season and it seems a certainty that they always, always come back to bite you in the ass. Lamb at 3rd and Marte at SS have to be perfect in the field. Colorado will absolutely make us pay otherwise...

So, I am hoping for 6 out of Zack, a perfect 7th from Sherfy and then say good-night as Archie and Rodney do their thing!!

Go Dbacks!!!

Holy CRAP that was a FUN game!!! This team is so much fun to cheer for! From the coaches to the players - awesome!!

Well, we didn't get near the 6 innings out of Greinke I was hoping for... but our offense was WAY better than I thought they would be. Descalso over Drury - smart and effective move by Torey! Starting Mathis can be debated for sure, however, he's been Greinke's "guy" this season so I get it... I am sure we will now see a lot of Iannetta from here on out!
Goldy being Goldy... battled out of that September swoon and man did he step up as a leader!! But Peralta, Marte, Lamb and Pollack were monsters in this game. And zero errors to boot!!

Greinke's performance is concerning... very concerning. Just gotta hope he finds his mojo in the LA series. Archie was gassed after legging out that incredible triple and promptly gave up the two dingers. I am not at all concerned about him going forward. Rodney was Rodney... gave up a run but closed it out in the end... let's hope we have more than a 1 run lead whenever we need to bring him in again!

Onto to LA baby!!! God I SOOOOO wanted this series against the Dodgers. The visual of them partying and peeing in our pool is still too raw!! :mad::mad:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Triple would have been a lot sexier if he didn't follow it up with back to back jacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You have to wonder if he would have given up those home-runs had he jogged to second after ripping that shot to the power alley in left.

Archie should definitely get a pass considering the emotion of that triple but at what point are pitchers considered professional athletes where running fast shouldn't prevent them from doing their jobs?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Archie should definitely get a pass considering the emotion of that triple but at what point are pitchers considered professional athletes where running fast shouldn't prevent them from doing their jobs?

I agree with this. Archie is a very good athlete. He was recruited to play baseball and quarterback for the University of Oklahoma. I think it was more of his emotional high that caused the lapse, not the running of the bases. He said as much in an interview I saw.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Never lived a day in Phoenix while the Backs took root, but I immediately became a fan. Spent every penny I had back in 2001 to fly back to Phoenix AND pay for tickets to Game 1, 2, 6 and GLORIOUS GAME 7 of the Diamondbacks and Al Queda vs. The Yankees and The Rest Of The World World Series.

I don't know how you did it E. I could and WOULD NEVER become a LA fan... for ANY TEAM... or ANY REASON.

BEAT LA!

I have said something similar and been accused of not being politically correct. But it wasn't the first time, or the last.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson