Colorado Rockies @ Arizona Diamondbacks WildCard Game Thread Oct 4 2017

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
OK... My breakdown:

- In the post-season, EVERYTHING becomes magnified. Decision-making by players and coaches...Errors... Moving a runner from 2nd to 3rd with less than two outs. Hitting, or not, with runners in scoring positions. ALL of it takes on an incalculable degree of importance now.
I like that Torey went with Descalso at second base over Drury. Daniel has played in 40 or so post season games... Drury? Zero... Descalso is a more consistent fielder as well and again, in the post season there is simply NO margin for errors!
Clearly, a one gamer is perhaps no more predictable than a coin-flip... So anyone who says "I know how this will go" can't be relied upon whatsoever.
The Rockies offense is about as explosive as any offense has ever been. Literally, the entire lineup, sans Gray (who did hit a homerun off of us) can bash! However, Colorado is not nearly as explosive on the road... and, given Greinke's performance this season at home, we have to like his chances for pitching well and late into the game!
For me, the game hinges on just that... Zack simply has to show up. If we get bad Zack and the Rockies quickly go up by 4 or 5 runs by the 3rd inning, well... I believe we'll have to take our 93 wins on the season and feel good about that. However, if Zack is still pitching into the 6th inning, I really, really like our chances.
Additionally, this will be the very first post-season game, let alone start, for the young John Gray. He's been nails against us this season, but this will be Greinke's 10th post-season start! And given his performance at home this year, ya gotta believe Gray will, early or mid-game, succumb to the pressure, while Zack does what he's done at home all year...
Goldy did not have a great September and that is indeed troubling. While the Dbacks showed this season they can win without contributions from Goldy, there can be no question that tonight, winning will come much harder without Goldy playing a role. Let's hope he snaps out of this late-season slump! He showed the ability to pull himself out of short-lived slumps this season, I'm betting on him to do just that again tonight!
I think AJ could play a large role tonight as well... In the field, at the plate and on base. His defense will be critical! He showed very positive signs at the plate in September and his speed on the basis should be HUGE in terms of stealing a bag when needed and taking the extra base when able.
Have no idea about Lamb... He's wildcard for sure. Horrendous second half - again. Yet, late in September he showed glimpses, tiny as they were, that he may have found his swing again. But really, if he went 0-4 and left multiple runners in scoring position, it wouldn't be any surprise as that's what he did the entire second half...
Perralta is intriguing. If he can remain patient at the plate and NOT swing at clear balls, he too can be a factor. It would be tremendously helpful if he can get on-base, alot! He'll have to show a degree of plate-discipline he rarely showed this season however...
And then there's JD... Thinking about him, you have to believe there is an immense amount of weight on his shoulders coming into tonight. I mean, he virtually single-handidly carried this team from the moment he became a Dback! He put together one of the alltime great second half's! And given the slumping Goldy and Lamb's atrocious second half, everyone is looking to JD to be our Mr. October... huge pressure for sure. I hope he can somehow push all of that aside and just be himself... If he can, I REALLY like our chances.
Defense is crucial... you give away outs in the post-season and it seems a certainty that they always, always come back to bite you in the ass. Lamb at 3rd and Marte at SS have to be perfect in the field. Colorado will absolutely make us pay otherwise...

So, I am hoping for 6 out of Zack, a perfect 7th from Sherfy and then say good-night as Archie and Rodney do their thing!!

Go Dbacks!!!

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I think Gray stumbles early. The key will be whether the D-Backs let him off the hook. I fear AZ may get 1-2 runs early and the Rockies will get the bullpen cranking...then Gray will retire like 15 hitters in a row and right the ship. I want the D-Backs to step on his throat if they have him down, and that has not been the nature of this team.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
OK... My breakdown:

- In the post-season, EVERYTHING becomes magnified. Decision-making by players and coaches...Errors... Moving a runner from 2nd to 3rd with less than two outs. Hitting, or not, with runners in scoring positions. ALL of it takes on an incalculable degree of importance now.
I like that Torey went with Descalso at second base over Drury. Daniel has played in 40 or so post season games... Drury? Zero... Descalso is a more consistent fielder as well and again, in the post season there is simply NO margin for errors!
Clearly, a one gamer is perhaps no more predictable than a coin-flip... So anyone who says "I know how this will go" can't be relied upon whatsoever.
The Rockies offense is about as explosive as any offense has ever been. Literally, the entire lineup, sans Gray (who did hit a homerun off of us) can bash! However, Colorado is not nearly as explosive on the road... and, given Greinke's performance this season at home, we have to like his chances for pitching well and late into the game!
For me, the game hinges on just that... Zack simply has to show up. If we get bad Zack and the Rockies quickly go up by 4 or 5 runs by the 3rd inning, well... I believe we'll have to take our 93 wins on the season and feel good about that. However, if Zack is still pitching into the 6th inning, I really, really like our chances.
Additionally, this will be the very first post-season game, let alone start, for the young John Gray. He's been nails against us this season, but this will be Greinke's 10th post-season start! And given his performance at home this year, ya gotta believe Gray will, early or mid-game, succumb to the pressure, while Zack does what he's done at home all year...
Goldy did not have a great September and that is indeed troubling. While the Dbacks showed this season they can win without contributions from Goldy, there can be no question that tonight, winning will come much harder without Goldy playing a role. Let's hope he snaps out of this late-season slump! He showed the ability to pull himself out of short-lived slumps this season, I'm betting on him to do just that again tonight!
I think AJ could play a large role tonight as well... In the field, at the plate and on base. His defense will be critical! He showed very positive signs at the plate in September and his speed on the basis should be HUGE in terms of stealing a bag when needed and taking the extra base when able.
Have no idea about Lamb... He's wildcard for sure. Horrendous second half - again. Yet, late in September he showed glimpses, tiny as they were, that he may have found his swing again. But really, if he went 0-4 and left multiple runners in scoring position, it wouldn't be any surprise as that's what he did the entire second half...
Perralta is intriguing. If he can remain patient at the plate and NOT swing at clear balls, he too can be a factor. It would be tremendously helpful if he can get on-base, alot! He'll have to show a degree of plate-discipline he rarely showed this season however...
And then there's JD... Thinking about him, you have to believe there is an immense amount of weight on his shoulders coming into tonight. I mean, he virtually single-handidly carried this team from the moment he became a Dback! He put together one of the alltime great second half's! And given the slumping Goldy and Lamb's atrocious second half, everyone is looking to JD to be our Mr. October... huge pressure for sure. I hope he can somehow push all of that aside and just be himself... If he can, I REALLY like our chances.
Defense is crucial... you give away outs in the post-season and it seems a certainty that they always, always come back to bite you in the ass. Lamb at 3rd and Marte at SS have to be perfect in the field. Colorado will absolutely make us pay otherwise...

So, I am hoping for 6 out of Zack, a perfect 7th from Sherfy and then say good-night as Archie and Rodney do their thing!!

Go Dbacks!!!
82 - you could have driven to the game in less time than that post took! Seriously, solid post.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone in LA know where the hell to find this game on DirecTV? Can't find it anywhere!