College Coaching Dominos

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
College sports are losing me. If that is what it is all about, give me professional sports.

I don't think NIL can be kept separate from the universities and conferences. It's too much of a factor.

IMO, amateur sports and money don't mix unless it's equitable for everyone involved.

I think we will see a reorganization of college sports down the road.
Something will have to be done about NIL for sure. Not sure a salary cap per se but something to get it back on the rails. Perhaps contracts and such so these coaches and fans aren’t held hostage annually.

It’ll also be a test to see how well the sport does if 4-5 programs are head and shoulders above everyone else year in and out. There’s always going to be elite blue blood programs but way it is right now almost no chance to move up the ladder.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This is going to look like MLB if this isnt controlled better. Teams like Bama, OSU, etc. are like the Yankess, Dodgers, and Red Sox. Luxury to overspend for talent in competition with the smaller market teams.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something will have to be done about NIL for sure. Not sure a salary cap per se but something to get it back on the rails. Perhaps contracts and such so these coaches and fans aren’t held hostage annually.

It’ll also be a test to see how well the sport does if 4-5 programs are head and shoulders above everyone else year in and out. There’s always going to be elite blue blood programs but way it is right now almost no chance to move up the ladder.

The problem will solve itself given time, but that will take years.

I don't think the NCAA is currently built to handle the new state of affairs in college sports. All we can do is hang on for the ride.

Frank Kush was against joining the PAC-12. Maybe he was right. It might be better to be a big fish in a small pond.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As Sun Devil fans, we should better understand why Arizona fans are upset.

We have been through the hypocrisy of college sports. With NIL, the pretense of being amateur is gone.

For the better players, it becomes more about show me the money. The same with coaches.

I'd like to think Kenny Dillingham is a loyal head coach, much like Frank Kush, but where did that get him?
I fully understand why they are upset and actually empathize with them but to seemingly be caught unprepared for this is staggering given all the evidence.

The goal is still the NFL for many of these guys but most won’t make it so, yeah, money. But they also want PT to try for that loftier goal so to think it distilled to one thing, money, is only going to cause more heartburn to fans

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Frank Kush was against joining the PAC-12. Maybe he was right. It might be better to be a big fish in a small pond.
I don’t know if he was right or wrong but I am coming to the belief that once the final shakeout is complete, it might be best to be a bigger fish in as smaller pond and compete for a second tier level championship. I think the top 48ish programs will eventually break off and do their own thing and ASU May be left holding the bag but basically they could play for the BCS championship which would encompass all the leftover programs.

Fact: if ASU would get into the elite tier, I see virtually no way they would ever really compete for the big trophy. As a result, why desire that since they will still get TV revenue? It won’t be as much revenue obviously but there is a point where championships supersede the money

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I don’t know if he was right or wrong but I am coming to the belief that once the final shakeout is complete, it might be best to be a bigger fish in as smaller pond and compete for a second tier level championship. I think the top 48ish programs will eventually break off and do their own thing and ASU May be left holding the bag but basically they could play for the BCS championship which would encompass all the leftover programs.

Fact: if ASU would get into the elite tier, I see virtually no way they would ever really compete for the big trophy. As a result, why desire that since they will still get TV revenue? It won’t be as much revenue obviously but there is a point where championships supersede the money
Only way Arizona schools could compete in that upper division is if controls were put in to level the playing field. Of course why would the B1G and SEC agree to this? Pro sports owners are smart enough to see the long-term value of that setup. College administrators not so much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess Arizona wasn't too surprised about Jedd Fisch leaving. They quickly hired Brent Brennan.

TJ

Reaction score
I guess Arizona wasn't too surprised about Jedd Fisch leaving. They quickly hired Brent Brennan.
They were surprised seeing as Jedd told the AD that he was staying until the moment he signed with UW. Brennan was the runner up to Fisch in 2021 and the boosters wanted him. It was a no-brainer

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Only way Arizona schools could compete in that upper division is if controls were put in to level the playing field. Of course why would the B1G and SEC agree to this? Pro sports owners are smart enough to see the long-term value of that setup. College administrators not so much.
It has been incredibly noncompetitive for a long time. NIL has only made that worse. I think college admins will face a reckoning at some point. The product isn't great and unless you're a fan of about one of 5-10 teams, you have no hope. That's not a great long term business strategy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were surprised seeing as Jedd told the AD that he was staying until the moment he signed with UW. Brennan was the runner up to Fisch in 2021 and the boosters wanted him. It was a no-brainer

I know Brennan was the runner-up to the Fisch hiring, but doesn't that leave San Jose State in a similar position as Arizona was a day ago.

In other words, doesn't Arizona do the same thing they were upset Fisch and Washington did. Loyalty seems to be in short supply almost everywhere.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Loyalty seems to be in short supply almost everywhere.
No - college coaches will take a better opportunity to improve their lives, and the lives of their assistants. That's what they SHOULD do. Painting them as turncoats for going from one of the worst programs in a bad conference to a great program in a real conference is completely missing the point.

TJ

Reaction score
I know Brennan was the runner-up to the Fisch hiring, but doesn't that leave San Jose State in a similar position as Arizona was a day ago.

In other words, doesn't Arizona do the same thing they were upset Fisch and Washington did. Loyalty seems to be in short supply almost everywhere.

There are a number of differences compared to Fisch. Brennan has made it known for years that he would take the Arizona job. He has connection to the school physically and emotionally. He has family in Tucson. He doesnt have a history of job-hopping. Apples and oranges

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
There are a number of differences compared to Fisch. Brennan has made it known for years that he would take the Arizona job. He has connection to the school physically and emotionally. He has family in Tucson. He doesnt have a history of job-hopping. Apples and oranges
You may be overrating his connection to Arizona a bit. He was a graduate assistant for one year in 2000. I know his brother also played here, and obviously he had a long connection with Dick Tomey. But in the insular world of football (and other sports) coaching, just about everyone has some connection to just about every place. It's all "six degrees of separation" in that field.

In other words, if he has some success at Arizona and then bails for a better job in a few years, UA fans better try not to fall over dead from shock like they seem to be with Fisch.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

100%

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Perhaps it's only apples and oranges when it applies to Arizona. San Jose State lost their head coach overnight.

It cuts both ways when both Washington and Arizona use the same tactics.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No - college coaches will take a better opportunity to improve their lives, and the lives of their assistants. That's what they SHOULD do. Painting them as turncoats for going from one of the worst programs in a bad conference to a great program in a real conference is completely missing the point.

A lot of people take less money if they are happy with their jobs and have a competitive salary.

It's not always about money, unless a person makes it their top priority.

TJ

Reaction score
Perhaps it's only apples and oranges when it applies to Arizona. San Jose State lost their head coach overnight.

It cuts both ways when both Washington and Arizona use the same tactics.

No one’s upset with UW for pursuing Fisch. No one faults Fisch for entertaining the UW offer. It was how Fisch handled the situation start to finish. everyone outside of Seattle and Tempe is lambasting him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one’s upset with UW for pursuing Fisch. No one faults Fisch for entertaining the UW offer. It was how Fisch handled the situation start to finish. everyone outside of Seattle and Tempe is lambasting him.

The schools play a role as well.

It doesn't happen without how the universities handled the hiring process.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
People leave jobs all the time, what most don’t do is try to set the place on fire on their way out.
Are you seriously insinuating this happened in Tucson? They somehow had a coach lined up right away and he's apparently not getting your best players, so where is the gas can and matches?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Are you seriously insinuating this happened in Tucson? They somehow had a coach lined up right away and he's apparently not getting your best players, so where is the gas can and matches?
Not for a lack of trying. Like I said it’s one thing to move on to a new job. It’s another to try to bury your old company on the way out especially when said company basically gave you your first and only shot.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It has been so long since ASU had a football coach successful enough to be stolen away (John Cooper?) that I do not even know how UofA fans feel right now.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
He didn't "bury" Arizona and they sure didn't give him his first and only shot - that's wild

It was a short lived, mutually beneficial situation.

It was what it was always going to be - if he failed, they'd go elsewhere - if he succeeded he'd go elsewhere. If it was just mediocre they'd play out the string until one of the prior outcomes.