College Coaching Dominos

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of old news here, but interesting to see how this all plays out. Saban retires at Alabama, Washington HC Kaleb Deboer is taking that spot. That leaves an opening at UW, who fills that? And that creates an opening, and so it goes.

Some are saying Jedd Fisch will take the UW job, but our friends on the UA board have already reported that he is being locked down with another contract to stay with the Wildcats, so that sounds bogus. Someone also floated a Pete Carroll rumor. Other than being in Seattle already, I can't see him wanting to hit the recruiting trail at his age.

Other shuffles going on elsewhere...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Tough blow for UofA. This is another reason why I like the Dillingham hire. Any coach who doesn't have a history/connection with your university will bail when they get a better opportunity.
It's about your only chance of getting any loyalty these days.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I really didn't see that coming. I keep expecting these guys to be loyal, but they just follow the money and prestige I guess.

I suspect the budget gap at Arizona may play a huge role if Jedd Fisch leaves.

The optics of giving him a large extension could be a significant factor.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Indeed. It's all about money and (to a lesser degree) prestige. If you're not one of the very upper echelon programs, your coach isnt staying for long. And even then, if the NFL comes calling, you still may lose out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed. It's all about money and (to a lesser degree) prestige. If you're not one of the very upper echelon programs, your coach isnt staying for long. And even then, if the NFL comes calling, you still may lose out.

The money is said to be crazy, what Washington is offering Jedd Fisch.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's about your only chance of getting any loyalty these days.
Even then we'd be lucky to finally have a HC that was leaving for greener pastures. Kenny is saying all the right things and seems to want to build something in Tempe, but success and a chance to coach at a top tier program could be too much to turn down especially if he determines that building ASU into a consistent power is not possible. Even so, the odds say he gets fired like every other coach before him.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know what he was making at UA, but 7 mil is a lot of money to me. My retirement is/was only a pittance of that, $36,000/yr. I might even consider that deal, if offered. :mrgreen:.

I apologize for my comments above UA. I just listened to a part of the audio from one of your posts. Truly .... person.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Even then we'd be lucky to finally have a HC that was leaving for greener pastures. Kenny is saying all the right things and seems to want to build something in Tempe, but success and a chance to coach at a top tier program could be too much to turn down especially if he determines that building ASU into a consistent power is not possible. Even so, the odds say he gets fired like every other coach before him.
what fans don't think about is that often the decision isn't about the head coach moving his salary from $5MM to $8MM. It’s the head coach thinking about his assistants and families who would move from $250k to $500k. Hard for the top guy to tell friends and colleagues and their wives who’s he’s known for decades to take a lower salary because he’s comfortable.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know what he was making at UA, but 7 mil is a lot of money to me. My retirement is/was only a pittance of that, $36,000/yr. I might even consider that deal, if offered. :mrgreen:.
I think I read that Fisch would have been making something like $3.5 million in 2024 under his current deal, but UA was working on a pay raise that would put him closer to $5 million. His salary (existing deal) was definitely at the low end of the BXII conference. The cost of living between Seattle and Tucson will take a big chunk of his pay raise from $5 million to $7 million, but he's going to a university in a bigger conference and with far greater financial resources.

I'm curious about Fisch's UW buyout terms - they might be out there somewhere already. Based on his track record of job-hopping, I won't be at all surprised if he doesn't bail for the NFL or his beloved Florida in a couple of years (assuming he is successful at UW).

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After getting burned by the Jedster, it would make sense for U of A to bring in someone in the Dillingham mode, someone who loves the school, grew up down there, and considers the HC job there his dream job....

Here's a list of candidates from Azcentral:

More dominos on the way. One big one will be if Harbaugh leaves Michigan. That is going to set off another chain reaction of musical chairs in the coaching ranks and more players scrambling...

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After getting burned by the Jedster, it would make sense for U of A to bring in someone in the Dillingham mode, someone who loves the school, grew up down there, and considers the HC job there his dream job....

Here's a list of candidates from Azcentral:

More dominos on the way. One big one will be if Harbaugh leaves Michigan. That is going to set off another chain reaction of musical chairs in the coaching ranks and more players scrambling...
If Harbaugh leaves, that chain reaction might become seismic

And the only way he leaves is for the NFL

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The amount of naïveté on the UA board regarding Fisch leaving is surprising in this new college football environment.

Every player and coach is full of ***** and will say what they need to until the moment it changes.

I fully expect Dillingham to do the same at some point although the fact he is home grown gives me the slightest bit of hope I’ll be wrong

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The amount of naïveté on the UA board regarding Fisch leaving is surprising in this new college football environment.

Every player and coach is full of ***** and will say what they need to until the moment it changes.

I fully expect Dillingham to do the same at some point although the fact he is home grown gives me the slightest bit of hope I’ll be wrong

As Sun Devil fans, we should better understand why Arizona fans are upset.

We have been through the hypocrisy of college sports. With NIL, the pretense of being amateur is gone.

For the better players, it becomes more about show me the money. The same with coaches.

I'd like to think Kenny Dillingham is a loyal head coach, much like Frank Kush, but where did that get him?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
As Sun Devil fans, we should better understand why Arizona fans are upset.

We have been through the hypocrisy of college sports. With NIL, the pretense of being amateur is gone.

For the better players, it becomes more about show me the money. The same with coaches.

I'd like to think Kenny Dillingham is a loyal head coach, much like Frank Kush, but where did that get him?
It’s not even about being “home” it’s that one can’t climb to the top of their profession from the Big 12. These dudes all have massive egos, you have to in order to win and compete and they’re always judging themselves vs their peers. I won’t even get into the financial compensation differences which are obviously significant.

The Big 12 is the minor leagues. Better than what Oregon State and Wazzu ended up in but still the minors. Anyone who wins there but never takes the leap to the SEC/B1G will always have an asterisk on their career.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not even about being “home” it’s that one can’t climb to the top of their profession from the Big 12. These dudes all have massive egos, you have to in order to win and compete and they’re always judging themselves vs their peers. I won’t even get into the financial compensation differences which are obviously significant.

The Big 12 is the minor leagues. Better than what Oregon State and Wazzu ended up in but still the minors. Anyone who wins there but never takes the leap to the SEC/B1G will always have an asterisk on their career.

College sports are losing me. If that is what it is all about, give me professional sports.

I don't think NIL can be kept separate from the universities and conferences. It's too much of a factor.

IMO, amateur sports and money don't mix unless it's equitable for everyone involved.

I think we will see a reorganization of college sports down the road.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson