Coffee Talk

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Fridays because I can have a shot at lunch and not worry about being up too late on a work night.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did my second batch of bean roasting yesterday. I had to throw away my first two from the previous weekend because I burned the hell out of them. Lol.

Below are some pictures.

This was my very first batch from a week ago. It started to smoke really badly and I let them sit for a week but they still smelled really burned, like an ash tray. We brewed a pot of coffee with these. Tasted like an ash tray. I threw them out.
You must be registered for see images attach

This was the second batch a week ago. This faired a little better than my first batch, but still wasn't too good.

Here's my roaster. I out it on my range hood just in case I need to turn on the vent fan.

I got this 6# bag free when I bought my roaster.

I use 8 oz green coffee beans per roast. This will be roast #3.

Roast #3 (from yesterday) - post roast weight.

Roast #3 - beans smell so good. It's maybe a New England/American Roast?

Roast #4 - a French Roast.

Log for Roast #3

Log for Roast #4

We will grind some up of the beans tomorrow morning and try this batch. The lighter really looks and smells good.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put my logs from Roast 3 and 4 into Excel spreadsheets.

Roast 3 (New England/American Roast)

Roast 4 (French Roast)

I'll add tasting notes to each after I drink each.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next batch (after these beans are gone) I want to try a double roast method where you roast the beans at 160C for between 8-8:30 minutes to dehydrate them, cool them, then proceed with your roast. I want to try to get Viennese /Full City Roast with this method.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference between my 2nd roast and 4th roast is incredible, even though they look similar according to the pictures above. For my 2nd roast, I roasted at a jump up to 482F for 15 minutes.

For my 4th roast, I stepped up to 473F when I heard the first crack, then reduced the temp to 460F until the 2nd crack. This preserved the character of the bean rather than just scorching it.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I'm late to the party, but I started drinking coffee in college. Worked double shifts at a diner in Jersey and needed the caffeine. They actually had some pretty good coffee.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I opened up my grinder and Aeropress last night and did a taste testing with the two batches from this weekend.

The first was the lighter roast, (New England/American). The taste profile was sweet, aromatic, flowery, mild, with hints of pistachio, milk chocolate, and hazelnut. It was absolutely delicious.

The second was the French roast. The taste profile was a little bitter, bold, with hints of tobacco, dark chocolate, molasses, and currants. It was a pretty damn good French roast.

The Aeropress is a pretty cool little device. It takes less than a minute from grind until you are enjoying your cup. It comes out as a beautiful espresso, then you add hot water to your taste preferential, so in essence, you are enjoying Cafe Americanos.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@jf-08

I'm liking it. This is officially a lab experiment. :cool:

All you need are samplers.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now that you have reached the zenith of coffee making, we clearly need to work on the quality of your wine selection! Blackstone??? You might as well be drinking wine out of a box. :D

Houston Oilers?!? Disgraceful! ;)

Last edited:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that you have reached the zenith of coffee making, we clearly need to work on the quality of your wine selection!

Houston Oilers? Disgraceful! ;)
That wine bottle is simply a decoration!! My fiancee isn't a wine drinker but she brought that with her when she moved in because it was "a gift" from one of her best friends for a nice occasion. Lol. My wine is in my wine cooler.

I used to be an Oilers fan since I was 7 until they moved to TN. When the Cards moved here, I naturally adopted them for my NFC team.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That wine bottle is simply a decoration!! My fiancee isn't a wine drinker but she brought that with her when she moved in because it was "a gift" from one of her best friends for a nice occasion. Lol. My wine is in my wine cooler.

I used to be an Oilers fan since I was 7 until they moved to TN. When the Cards moved here, I naturally adopted them for my NFC team.

OK, I'll let it slide. LOL

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
What do you do for coffee when on vacation? My wife brings her mini keurig machine, but that stuff tastes like water to me.

I bring Starbucks VIAs, but I've read a lot about the high level of acrylamide in instant coffee.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
VIA has always been my go to option.

The difference in exposure between a few days/week of instant versus regular is so small I wouldn't worry, IMHO. Acrylamide is in ALL coffees, a by-product of roasting.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
VIA has always been my go to option.

The difference in exposure between a few days/week of instant versus regular is so small I wouldn't worry, IMHO. Acrylamide is in ALL coffees, a by-product of roasting.
Yeah, that's what I figure. The VIA actually tastes pretty good when I double the packets.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I figure. The VIA actually tastes pretty good when I double the packets.

Alex grew up on this:

We use that traveling as well - but the bold version :)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you do for coffee when on vacation? My wife brings her mini keurig machine, but that stuff tastes like water to me.

I bring Starbucks VIAs, but I've read a lot about the high level of acrylamide in instant coffee.

When we are on Vacation I usually find the closest Starbucks or local coffee shop.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad he did this though because I would never stay focused enough to properly utilize a roaster! I can make myself available for testing, however. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA