Coffee Talk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So with these expresso coffee machines are you guys drinking your coffee straight and thick like many Europeans?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So with these expresso coffee machines are you guys drinking your coffee straight and thick like many Europeans?
I use the espresso setting on my machine (fine grind), but I usually run 16 oz of water through it. So it's more like an Americano. When I want that "true Europea espresso", I'll dial it back to 3 or 4 oz and savor the strength. And I drink my coffee/espresso black.

But I am going to start to dabble a bit with different concoctions. There's a recipe for espresso over iced carbonated lemon water that sounds amazing. And I'm going to try a little turbinado sugar with just a splash of cream with some different roasts just because..Lol

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I drink our coffee black ever since we moved to a pour over.

I use the Chemex Coffee maker:

You must be registered for see images attach

I also have a nice burr grinder to ensure the perfect grind every time:

With the pandemic and all I've been spoiling my wife and I with a morning cup of 100% Kona coffee that I purchase from the Koa Coffee plantation:

https://www.koacoffee.com/

IMO Kona is the best coffee in the world and well it isn't cheap at $40 a pound, but so worth it!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Kona and Jamaican Blue Mountain.

I used to get cheap coffee beans from Costco. Then my coworker convinced me to just splurge and get the good stuff. So I started ordering the Kona online and my wife and I have a cup of aloha heaven every morning. You only live once!

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to get cheap coffee beans from Costco. Then my coworker convinced me to just splurge and get the good stuff. So I started ordering the Kona online and my wife and I have a cup of aloha heaven every morning. You only live once!
Yes, there's nothing like it!!!

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Which one do you have?

I have this one. Been using it for 6 months and no complaints. It's a bit loud, but I assume that's the case with any grinder.

I'm not sure why I can't post a link to Amazon, but it's called "Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder".

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Indeed! I've been splurging as well ordering some expensive stuff online. I rarely spend money on frivolous things, so I don't mind spending a lot on beans that I enjoy every morning.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely straight. I've got a milk thing on the espresso machine, but I've never used it. Also, I shoot for just about as strong as I can get it.

A few shots of that and anyone would be ready to start the day... fast.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
My wife and I drink our coffee black ever since we moved to a pour over.

I use the Chemex Coffee maker:

I also have a nice burr grinder to ensure the perfect grind every time:

With the pandemic and all I've been spoiling my wife and I with a morning cup of 100% Kona coffee that I purchase from the Koa Coffee plantation:

https://www.koacoffee.com/

IMO Kona is the best coffee in the world and well it isn't cheap at $40 a pound, but so worth it!

We have the same grinder!

$40/lb isn't that bad when you're getting really good coffee beans.

I'm working on some beans that my son brought back from Montana. Before that I bought some Bulletproof Medium Roast. Next up will be KION Coffee. Both are $15-20/12oz.

https://getkion.com/shop/body/kion-coffee/

https://shop.bulletproof.com/products/coffee-the-original-whole-bean-12oz

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about coffee in general I used to hate coffee until I was about 35. Growing up my parents used to drink Folgers Crystals Instant coffee. No wonder they had to load it with cream and sugar. :barf:

I'm sure the Europeans would roll their eyes at Americans drinking such swill back in the day.

I got my start with coffee when my wife used to order Starbucks while on vacation. So I started ordering Mocha's which is basically a hot chocolate with coffee in it. As I acquired a taste for coffee I started to move away from the sweet coffee concoctions. Now I'm all grown up and drink my coffee black.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about coffee in general I used to hate coffee until I was about 35. Growing up my parents used to drink Folgers Crystals Instant coffee. No wonder they had to load it with cream and sugar. :barf:

I'm sure the Europeans would roll their eyes at Americans drinking such swill back in the day.

I got my start with coffee when my wife used to order Starbucks while on vacation. So I started ordering Mocha's which is basically a hot chocolate with coffee in it. As I acquired a taste for coffee I started to move away from the sweet coffee concoctions. Now I'm all grown up and drink my coffee black.

My parents didn't drink coffee. Mom was a big tea drinker.

My coffee evolution is similar to yours - started with mocha's I haven't had one in years. I will put some cream in mine, sometimes a bit of stevia.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Similar path. I hated the smell as a kid. My grandma drank java..cold! It was awful. Then I got to college and had to go to class on little sleep. It was a life saver. Then when I got a real job I drank it daily with a bunch of cream, sugar, etc. Now I couldn't imagine contaminating my beautiful drink with anything.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember in high school a friend of mine and I used to go up to his family's cabin outside of Payson off Control Road and spent the mornings at their neighbors who were senior citizens.

They loved the company of youngins and we loved that Ms. Jeannie would cook us breakfast. Lol. She was always drinking coffee and me and my friend couldn't believe it that she would be drinking such a hot beverage in the summer time. She said "You just wait until you are into your adulthood and you'll look back and say ""how did I never drink this wonderful cup of morning glory""." Lol. She was right!

I started daily when I was living in VA Beach in my early twenties. It started when I would get a thermos of joe and go the beach to watch the sunrise, enjoying the solitude and peacefulness watching the sun rise above the horizon. Then it just became a daily habit.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My morning routine is:

Tumble out of bed, and stumble to the kitchen, wake the dogs up if they aren't already up. Let them out, start coffee

Feed the dogs, drink first cup.

Make another cup, plus one for Alex, wake him up.

Always have the first cup alone in a quiet house :)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
My morning routine is:

Tumble out of bed, and stumble to the kitchen, wake the dogs up if they aren't already up. Let them out, start coffee

Feed the dogs, drink first cup.

Make another cup, plus one for Alex, wake him up.

Always have the first cup alone in a quiet house :)

My biggest joy in the world. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard