Coffee Talk

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calling all of you coffee drinkers!

What kind of set up do you have to make coffee?

What types of coffee do you like?

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We drink a lot of coffee at home.

Was given a nice Keurig as a remodel gift from best friend - I wouldn't have bought one, but figured I would use it :)

We buy SF Bay coffee at Costco, in part because the pods have no plastic in them.

It is time to purchase a new machine - I am looking to switch back to a regular brewer with an espresso attachment (or a separate espresso machine - we love strong coffee)

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Jura GIGA 5.

I just bought a Gene Cafe Roaster and roasted my first two batches yesterday. The first was a dark espresso. The second was a Full City roast. I am letting them de-gas so I'll probably try some tonight.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Jura GIGA 5.

I just bought a Gene Cafe Roaster and roasted my first two batches yesterday. The first was a dark espresso. The second was a Full City roast. I am letting them de-gas so I'll probably try some tonight.

you opening up your own Coffee Shop? :)

Impressive looking machine

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you opening up your own Coffee Shop? :)

Impressive looking machine
:) Looking back, I wouldn't have spent so much on it, but when I was married, we used to have a lot of parties. We served quite a bit of coffee drinks and different coffee/espresso martinis. When I bought it, I was addicted to Starbucks and figured out how much I spent there. I used to go at least 5 days a week and same with her. I figured we would break even after 3.5 years. Well, it's been 7 years now and it still runs like a champ.

It was about the only thing that I insisted on during my divorce. Lol.

Now, I still use it every day, but just use the espresso function.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:) Looking back, I wouldn't have spent so much on it, but when I was married, we used to have a lot of parties. We served quite a bit of coffee drinks and different coffee/espresso martinis. When I bought it, I was addicted to Starbucks and figured out how much I spent there. I used to go at least 5 days a week and same with her. I figured we would break even after 3.5 years. Well, it's been 7 years now and it still runs like a champ.

It was about the only thing that I insisted on during my divorce. Lol.

Now, I still use it every day, but just use the espresso function.

That's cool. Starbucks can get really expensive if you go daily.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 20 dollar coffee maker. It does its job, so I am happy with it.

Favorite coffee = Black Silk

Favorite creamer French vanilla

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simple coffee maker for me as well... a 12 cup coffee maker from Mr. Coffee.

My preferred coffee is Don Francisco's but I drink anything that's not bitter.

I like my coffee black... trying not to insert a movie line here.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soooo....I roasted my first two batches of beans Sunday.

I got 6lbs of BCT Jumpstart blend free when I bought my roaaster. https://burmancoffee.com/product/coffee/origin/bct-blends-origin/bct-jumpstart/

My roasting profile for the first batch on Sunday was to follow the manufacturer's instructions in the manual for an espresso roast.

Batch size: 8 oz
Roast setting: 25 minutes @ ramp temp 482F
Roast location: On top of my range-top with the exhaust fan running

I just let it run by itself. The beans were tumbling in the roaster and I was really excited. I couldn't hear the first crack or second crack because of the tumbling noise from the roaster and the exhaust fan. I did notice the exhaust and chaff collector starting to blow off some smoke. Beans started to get really dark at about 18 minutes. At the 23 minute mark, I did an emergency e-stop as smoke was billowing out of the exhaust, so much so that even though I had my Bosch exhaust hood screaming at the top of it's capacity, it could not keep up with the outpour of rancid smelling smoke. But I was optimistic. So after the cool down cycle, I removed the beans and put them into a mason jar to de-gas and sit. They looked really dark.

Second batch 1 hour after the first batch... I wanted anything but a charcoal briquette.

Batch size: 8 oz
Roast setting: 15 minutes @ ramp temp 482F
Roast location: On my backyard patio

Same process as the previous batch, but the roasting cycle stopped after 15 minutes and the beans were a nice, dark brown. I did the built-in cool down cycle and stored the beans in another mason jar.

So last night after work, I wanted to try them both. The first batch, the really dark (burned) batch, was probably the worst coffee I have ever tasted in my life. It tasted like a 7-11 coffee pot batch that has been sitting for a month. The second batch was little better, but still sucked terribly.

So last night I did a bunch of research on the Gene Roaster and found a lot of comments that I shouldn't have followed the mfgrs instructions. I need to preheat the unit, do a quick rise in temp until I get to the first crack, then decrease the temp until I get to the roast level needed. Then Immediately e-stop the roast and cool with a colander and fan rather than the built-in cooling cycle.

So this weekend I'll work up another batch and see how it turns out. I wish I took some pics to post. I think my fiancee took some, so I'll see what she has.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Simple coffee maker for me as well... a 12 cup coffee maker from Mr. Coffee.

My preferred coffee is Don Francisco's but I drink anything that's not bitter.

I like my coffee black... trying not to insert a movie line here.
Woof that will put hair on your chest.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Kerig. I used to use the disposable pods, but guilt got me. Then we moved to the compostable ones, but could't find a place that would accept them. Now, I use a reusable k-cup and just add in my coffee. I like my coffee with a sweetener and a bit of milk (or cream, if it's available). I'm not a big flavored coffee gal.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calling all of you coffee drinkers!

What kind of set up do you have to make coffee?

What types of coffee do you like?
I'm think I am going to pick up an Aeropress. My Jura has two bean hoppers that makes it difficult to remove existing beans to just try one cup with new beans.

They are pretty inexpensive.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool thread!

We have the Gaggia Classic Espresso Machine, an Encore Baratza grinder, and we exclusively use espresso beans roasted at Lux on Central.

You must be registered for see images attach

I've never used the milk steamer attachment.

I like a thick cup of espresso with a deep red crema. I like the consistency to be like motor oil.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm think I am going to pick up an Aeropress. My Jura has two bean hoppers that makes it difficult to remove existing beans to just try one cup with new beans.

They are pretty inexpensive.

let me know how that works out!

And when all this crap is over, there had better be an ASFN Coffee Party at JF's house :)

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool thread!

We have the Gaggia Classic Espresso Machine, an Encore Baratza grinder, and we exclusively use espresso beans roasted at Lux on Central.

You must be registered for see images attach

I've never used the milk steamer attachment.

I like a thick cup of espresso with a deep red crema. I like the consistency to be like motor oil.

Nice set up! Much more in my price range as well :)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I absolutely love my morning espresso. I'm not naturally a morning person, but an espresso easily gets me out of bed everyday at 4:30.

I used to have one of those big espresso machines from costco with the built-in grinder. It was nice, but a pain to clean. When it died earlier this year I switched to a separate grinder and small espresso machine. I think the grinder was $150 and the espresso machine was $75.

I'm having fun trying out different beans and grind settings. I like it strong, so I grind it pretty fine. However, I haven't settled on a brand of bean yet.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a major coffee drinker have a keriug 2.0 model love it for tea coffee hot chocolate

Also have a black and decker which i use on occasions

My top kcups tim horton sbucks hazzelnut and don Frisco's yummy

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love my morning espresso. I'm not naturally a morning person, but an espresso easily gets me out of bed everyday at 4:30.

I used to have one of those big espresso machines from costco with the built-in grinder. It was nice, but a pain to clean. When it died earlier this year I switched to a separate grinder and small espresso machine. I think the grinder was $150 and the espresso machine was $75.

I'm having fun trying out different beans and grind settings. I like it strong, so I grind it pretty fine. However, I haven't settled on a brand of bean yet.
Do you have a burr grinder?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson