Coffee SHOP Talk

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Half off drinks for educators this week at Dutch Bros. so I have been trying their lemonades while my wife has been having their Americano. She likes it better than Starbucks' Pike.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update #1: The Human Bean has been my go-to stop on the way to work - double shot of espresso, tiny bit of cream

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update #2 - At work, Seattle Espresso on Warner and McClintock is my work spot

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update #3 - On Wednesdays, we have a coffee truck - Grateful Joe - that come by in the morning

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update #4 - drove to Ahwatukee for a Green Chile Truck that was parked at the Buzzed Goat Coffee Shop.

Breakfast bowl was good. Got a coffee at the shop - not so good - a pot of gas station coffee 6 hours old would have been better.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried A.T. Oasis Coffee on 46th Street and Thomas this morning:

Didn't realize that it was an Ethiopian Coffee Shop - all the beans are from Ethiopia (as are the owners). The roast their own coffee.

They even sell green beans in 5-pound bags ($35) - @jk-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Didn't realize that it was an Ethiopian Coffee Shop - all the beans are from Ethiopia (as are the owners). The roast their own coffee.

It's JF, not JK.

I just got done with a 1# roast of an Ethiopian Guji Dame Dabaya Natural process. It was totally different from any other bean I have roasted. It had a jammy fruit taste - hints of orange marmalade, pineapple, hops, and lime zest. I roasted it medium dark, just dropped at the second crack. It took me a cup or two to get used to it, but it was pretty good and unique.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's JF, not JK.

I just got done with a 1# roast of an Ethiopian Guji Dame Dabaya Natural process. It was totally different from any other bean I have roasted. It had a jammy fruit taste - hints of orange marmalade, pineapple, hops, and lime zest. I roasted it medium dark, just dropped at the second crack. It took me a cup or two to get used to it, but it was pretty good and unique.
No wonder it didn't pull up

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

On the Ethiopian discussion, my fiancée and I went to Cafe Lalibela (Ethiopian food) in Tempe last week and highly recommend it. Fantastic food and great staff.

https://www.cafelalibela.com/

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Press Coffee has a bunch of different origins and if anyone wants to try pourovers, they have a bunch of different options.

And one of my favorite places (where we get our roasted beans for work) is in downtown Gilbert - Bergie's -

https://www.bergiescoffee.com/

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We visited a really cool coffee shop in late June when we were in Bend, OR. Great atmosphere and really good drinks. My wife went with a Spicy Chai and I got the Not Good At All Shake which was amazing. We also bought some merch.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the things Alex and I like to do when traveling is hit up local coffee shops. We drove to Denver and back over the weekend (circle route).

Some of the stops:

Farmington NM,

Durango Joe's - a drive through shop, small chain (11 locations in three cities) based out of Durango.

I had my normal double shot.

Alex had the ATL

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We stopped in Pagosa Springs - Root House

Coffee/Cocktail place right on the San Juan River. It is directly across from the Hot Springs.

I had my usual, Alex had the Toddy Cold Brew

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the things Alex and I like to do when traveling is hit up local coffee shops. We drove to Denver and back over the weekend (circle route).

Some of the stops:

Farmington NM,

Durango Joe's - a drive through shop, small chain (11 locations in three cities) based out of Durango.

I had my normal double shot.

Alex had the ATL

I love local java places!

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Wife sat me down one day and said we spent over $300 a month on coffee

I said you're crazy

She said that I got a giant Americano every day and that I tip like a hippie. She said she gets frappuchino every day and that she tips like a hippie. She said it came out to over $10 a day, that there were 30 days in a month, and that we often spent more in a day

So we don't patronize many coffee establishments these any more - we got a espresso machine for the casa - and a bunch of insulated coffee cups that stay cold all damn day

Tried a bunch of stuff but we rock the Cafe Bustelo

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
On the Ethiopian discussion, my fiancée and I went to Cafe Lalibela (Ethiopian food) in Tempe last week and highly recommend it. Fantastic food and great staff.

https://www.cafelalibela.com/

Kare Ethiopian recently opened near where the 143/202 intersect at McDowell. They do a coffee service on Sunday, which I'm wanting to get to

Over on the westside, I'll hit Modern Grind which is local or Black Rock. Human Bean recently opened as well.

I like yellow spruce in old town. Caffe Vita off McDowell near 7th Ave, Lola Coffee off 59th Ave & 101. I also enjoy the little coffee shack in the Biltmore - Royal Coffee.

Any Press location is good as well

In Flagstaff I usually end up just driving through Wicked, although I prefer places like White Dove

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Jackrabbit Coffee off I-10 and Jackrabbit also is in rotation.

Ebb & Flow has a pair of locations in Verrado and is good. Tasty cookies and good value breakfast sandwiches as well.

What are your orders typically?

I lean towards pour overs, Americanos, vanilla latte or cortados.

I will try specialty drinks as well - i like vanilla, hazelnut and chocolate flavors

Not so much into caramel

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackrabbit Coffee off I-10 and Jackrabbit also is in rotation.

Ebb & Flow has a pair of locations in Verrado and is good. Tasty cookies and good value breakfast sandwiches as well.

What are your orders typically?

I lean towards pour overs, Americanos, vanilla latte or cortados.

I will try specialty drinks as well - i like vanilla, hazelnut and chocolate flavors

Not so much into caramel
I am almost always Americanos. I drink my coffee at the office (we get fresh whole roasted beans from Bergie's) or at home (I roast my own) but occasionally I'll meet some buddies for weekend breakfast and we'll saunter over to the Press Coffee on Germann, just east of Gilbert Rd in Chandler/Gilbert. They have a pretty good variety of beans and do pourovers.

Because it's starting to warm up, I'll make myself a Freddo Cappuccino which I stole from our trip to Greece last year. It's incredible and my favorite coffee drink:

I use a small squirt of homemade demerara simple syrup instead of sugar and this is the best milk that I've ever found to froth:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose