Coffee SHOP Talk

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When not roasting/grinding/podding/brewing at home, what are you favorite coffee shops, either at home or on the road?

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Local:

I like Black Rock (101 and Thomas). There is going to be a Human Bean opening nearby soon.

Inner Circle on Scottsdale Road is good as well.

BTW - Scottsdale Road, from Tempe Town Lake to Thomas is LOADED with coffee shops/drive throughs

3 different Starbucks
Human Bean (Opening soon)
Bikini Beans
Dutch Bros
Inner Circle
d'Lite
Dunkin

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
My wife loves her starbucks. I'm way too frugal to buy coffee from a store. I'd much rather splurge on expensive beans and prepare my own.

However, going to a coffee shop when out of town sounds pretty cool. I'm going to check out Macy's next time we're up there. We met some folks at a coffee shop in Flag last year, but I'm not sure of the name. I'll see if I can find out. It was a neat little store.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
My wife loves her starbucks. I'm way too frugal to buy coffee from a store. I'd much rather splurge on expensive beans and prepare my own.

However, going to a coffee shop when out of town sounds pretty cool. I'm going to check out Macy's next time we're up there. We met some folks at a coffee shop in Flag last year, but I'm not sure of the name. I'll see if I can find out. It was a neat little store.

It was Macy's..lol. I remember that my coffee was strong!

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Macy's is awesome. Usually packed (not sure how they are doing it now). Great coffee, awesome pastries.

The other one in Flag I like is Late for the Train - started as a coffee cart, now a couple locations (but only Downtown is currently open I believe).

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Macy's is awesome. Usually packed (not sure how they are doing it now). Great coffee, awesome pastries.

The other one in Flag I like is Late for the Train - started as a coffee cart, now a couple locations (but only Downtown is currently open I believe).

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but Lux on Central, just north of I.S.

Fresh pastries and they roast their own beans. In the beforetimes we would regularly eat brunch/dinner there at their fantastic bar top. Best jalapeno mac and cheese I've ever had.

If things ever get back to normal, everyone should experience their cocktails too. Have a chat with the 'tender and they'll come up with something unique and amazing right in front of you.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Cool. I'll check that one out too. It's a neat experience to see these little shops when traveling.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but Lux on Central, just north of I.S.

Fresh pastries and they roast their own beans. In the beforetimes we would regularly eat brunch/dinner there at their fantastic bar top. Best jalapeno mac and cheese I've ever had.
Haha, "beforetimes". I'm gonna have to start using that term.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We went up to Payson Saturday to watch friends play softball. Hit up Common Grounds coffee shop - really good coffee, outside order window, and really nice shaded outdoor sitting area (with outdoor sink/santizers).

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coffee rush is #1 for me, by far. The ambience is solid. Most places I go to only sell burnt dark roast coffee like starbucks. always disappointed. My black don francisco vanilla nut at home is much better.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
We went up to Payson Saturday to watch friends play softball. Hit up Common Grounds coffee shop - really good coffee, outside order window, and really nice shaded outdoor sitting area (with outdoor sink/santizers).
Sweet. We always stop at Dennys in Payson when we cut down our christmas tree in november. Not sure what we'll do this year. Maybe we'll just try this coffee shop instead. I doubt we'll be eating in restaurants at that point.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coffee rush is #1 for me, by far. The ambience is solid. Most places I go to only sell burnt dark roast coffee like starbucks. always disappointed. My black don francisco vanilla nut at home is much better.

The one at Chandler and Dobson? That's not far from my work - I will have to check it out.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet. We always stop at Dennys in Payson when we cut down our christmas tree in november. Not sure what we'll do this year. Maybe we'll just try this coffee shop instead. I doubt we'll be eating in restaurants at that point.

Especially in Payson. The barista was wearing a mask, none of the customers inside were. There was a recommended restaurant (Buffalo Spot) but it was packed, no one wearing masks, no outdoor seating.

Found a great taco truck instead - in front of the rock gallery as you come into town

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife loves coffee and has it every day.

I wish I liked it, or tea. Not drinking alcohol, soda, coffee, or tea limits your choices.

For a non-coffee drinker I visit Starbucks far too often. LOL Latest go to is a Trenta Mango Dragonfruit. Used to get the Java Chip Frap with only 2 pumps of frap roast (basically tastes like a fancy chocolate mixed shake).

Racking up Starbucks stars and loved to mobile order even before the pandemic made it more popular.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you ruin the trip with Dennys? SO many good places in payson. I recommend Mackeys Grill next time you are leaving town. Skip Dennys.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one at Chandler and Dobson? That's not far from my work - I will have to check it out.

There is that one and one on gilbert and baseline. Both have fantastic patios. The one in chandler has the lake so it is the clear winner to me. Personally, it just has the nerd/goth/90s etc vibe instead of the starbucks yuppie vibe. there are smoking areas and etc too. its a place to hangout, not just a corporate caffeine empire. The employees all rock. people often are there on the patio playing lan games, doing homework, hanging with friends and etc.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Especially in Payson. The barista was wearing a mask, none of the customers inside were. There was a recommended restaurant (Buffalo Spot) but it was packed, no one wearing masks, no outdoor seating.

Found a great taco truck instead - in front of the rock gallery as you come into town
Buffalo spot is good but stuffy. try Mackeys Grill. Ive gone there religiously since finding it. THAT! Brewery in Pine is amazing too.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Why would you ruin the trip with Dennys? SO many good places in payson. I recommend Mackeys Grill next time you are leaving town. Skip Dennys.
Haha. Not sure. It's just tradition at this point. Perhaps we'll give Mackeys a try as long as they're open for breakfast.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha. Not sure. It's just tradition at this point. Perhaps we'll give Mackeys a try as long as they're open for breakfast.
I hate dennys so dont mind me. every time I go in there is smells like dishwater. That and any time we can support local, its always better for that community. I have never been to mackeys for breakfast so that might not be possible, no idea. They make the best strawberry lemonade there is though. I googled payson breakfast and mackeys didnt show up but lots of options for local eateries and some with very high reviews.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose