Coaching. Input needed

tommcnabb

The Punisher
Reaction score
Well, we all saw last night what a difference a "coach" makes.

So, here's my question. Just for fun, swap Sloan and FQF. How much better would the Suns be? How about worse for the Jazz.

When people, and I, look at the Suns record it is disappointing (even if it is early). My mood goes with the outcome of the game and it drives me crazy when have basically 3 all-stars on our team but play like a high-school squad.

My point is, do any of you think that our "coach" is clueless or is it that our players don't buy into what he is preaching?

I realize we have to accept what we have, but don't you think with a Van Gundy or a Sloan, we would be better than what we are?

Unfortunately, they already have jobs.

Opinions?

--Tom

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Maybe, whereas Skiles was too hard, FJ is too soft. I'm not sure his motivational skills are any good.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't think personality is the problem with Johnson. The players like him and they do often work hard. They just don't have a clue what they're doing.

I think Johnson's problem is that he doesn't have the basketball knowledge that NBA head coaches need. Does anyone on this board think that Johnson is one of the 29 most knowledgable basketball coaches in the world? Of course not -- not even close. But the best teams should be entitled to work with the best coaches, not some "nice guy" who has no idea how to draw up a play.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
I don't think personality is the problem with Johnson. The players like him and they do often work hard. They just don't have a clue what they're doing.

I think Johnson's problem is that he doesn't have the basketball knowledge that NBA head coaches need. Does anyone on this board think that Johnson is one of the 29 most knowledgable basketball coaches in the world? Of course not -- not even close. But the best teams should be entitled to work with the best coaches, not some "nice guy" who has no idea how to draw up a play.

I agree 100%.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm

That's an unfair question. Knowledgable? Have you sat down with FJ and asked him his thoughts about the flex offense? Or, box and one? What about his coaching philosophy?

IMO, the players have played like crap. Inconsistent crap.

Adolph freakin Rupp couldn't reach these players right now.

- Marbury knows his role and should back it up every night. Instead, he got beat back door by Carlos Arroyo and Raul Lopez all night long. Yes, Arroyo and Lopez. FJ can't play D for Starbury.

- Amare has been working with Iavoroni (who everybody here thinks is the savior). Amare still takes awkward angles to the hoop and fails to kick it back out when needed. Who's to blame? Iavoroni or FJ?

- Marion is getting the snot beat out of him down low. Who's to blame? Bryan Colangelo or FJ?

- Beaten to death on the boards? Bryan Colangelo or FJ?

- Going small against the Lakers, and almost pulling it out. Didn't FJ orchestrate that?

All I'm trying to say is that it's just not FJ. Or, Marbury. Or, Bryan Colangelo. It's an organizational-wide effort.

Let's visit this thread 20 games into the season and see if ANY of the coaches, players, or management have adjusted to the most pressing matters.

Fire away!!!!!

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I personally think Frank was a great assistant, and with the extra look he gets now, it just reaffirms that idea.

I have just always envisioned the head coach as the X and O guy, with the assistants the motivaters and people the players can go to talk to.

If the players like the head coach, even better.

IMO, our coaching staff is just a bunch of assistants that govern by commitee. Frank takes most of the heat, but if you watch the bench he is talking to D'Antoni a lot, as well as Marc and Tim. You think Frank is just ignoring everything they say every game?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you are seeing the effect of the new rule that allowed the vets to report 3 days late. The Suns, as well as other teams with veteran players (Marbury, Penny) are unprepared and still are playing like pre-season.

The 3 days missed are the first 3 days of camp. They are vital days in which most of the offensive and defensive schemes are initiated.

Teams like the Jazz had all their players in camp from the beginning.

The Jazz also remind me of Doc Rivers first year in Orlando. There are a bunch of player who know their talent isn't very good. But they buy into a team concept and they work hard. You can accomplish alot with that attitude. The Jazz are going to be a real pain for alot of teams this year.

Matt Harpring is a very good player--quite underrated.

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
I'm not sure his motivational skills are any good.

You can say that again!...... but leave out the I'm not sure part.:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard