Christian Walker needs to start

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Manager Torey Lovullo said the Diamondbacks have considered this, but he said he doesn’t expect it to happen in the near term. For one, Lamb didn’t play third base at all during spring training, plus Lovullo said he wants Lamb to get comfortable at first base.

“I think the more at-bats he gets, the more comfortable he gets at first base, the better off we’re all going to be,” Lovullo said.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ont-seeing-time-third-near-future/3317834002/

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just goes to show you how much these pre season games (most any sport) mean to most managers and coaches (nothing). Why even play them (players or games)?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I liked Alvin Gentry as the Suns' coach, and I thought he got a raw deal.

In terms of Diamondbacks managers, I really haven't liked any of them since Buck Showalter. I would have LOVED Ron Gardenhire as manager, rather than bench coach. Had they reversed the roles between Lovullo and Gardenhire, that would have been ideal, in my opinion.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Now that this has its own post, I posted yesterday in another thread that if Lamb can learn 1B, he can learn LF.

Lamb to LF (his experience is on the left side of the field), Peralta to RF (where he played previously), Jones back to CF (which was the original intention) and Walker to 1B (which should be a no-brainer).

Walker at 1B not only helps the offense, he is our only natural first baseman, which benefits the 2B, SS, 3B, Pitcher and Catcher.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And no sooner did I advocate benching Dyson to make room for Walker, he hit his first ever leadoff home run.

I have always preferred having a traditional leadoff hitter, so this is a tough one.

I just hope that Torey doesn't follow through on his recent comment that Lamb won't necessarily be in a platoon and might start against lefties.

That makes no sense!

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just goes to show you how much these pre season games (most any sport) mean to most managers and coaches (nothing). Why even play them (players or games)?
Walker is also the best hitter for the DBacks in the first two regular season games. He sits while Lamb strikes out. Stupid.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Martell needs to stay in the infield. I like the Lamb idea in LF. Then Pealta to RF and Jones back to CF. Walker as 1B full time.

D-Backs are 0-3 without the Walker ph HR.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I wonder if the D-backs would be trying to trade Lamb. If not, I am afraid that Torey has Walker pigeon-holed as a sub.

It was understandable that the times they brought him up last season, it was mainly to sit on the bench, with an occasional pinch hitting performance. Goldy was blocking his path.

But now, why isn't it the best man for the job at 1B? And that is clearly Christian Walker. The fact that he is a righty and Lamb is a lefty hasn't changed that.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't matter even if Goldy was at 1st....if the 4 and 5 pitch like the 3 it's going to be bad .....fast

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Don't matter even if Goldy was at 1st....if the 4 and 5 pitch like the 3 it's going to be bad .....fast
And, with all due respect, Greinke's best days are behind him. The league is on to his super-slow eefus pitch, which was hit for home runs in Game 1.

He is no longer an ace. It remains to be seen if Robbie can be a stopper. He wasn't really in Game 2.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hard to say every time I think Greinke is toast he will be a beast for 8 straight games. Robbie we shall see. Sadly I've always thought of him as a 3 or 4.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
At this point, if I'm Christian Walker, I demand a trade. It's clear he will not be given a fair chance as long as Torey Lovullo is the manager.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'd even bench Escobar and return Lamb to 3B.

Which is our best hitting combination at 1B/3B?

Lamb/Escobar (current)
Walker/Escobar
Walker/Lamb (until Lamb flames out in the 2nd half) ***

*** That's my vote. It is not just Walker vs. Lamb,
it is Walker vs. Escobar. The answer seems obvious.
What would be the big deal of benching Escobar?

If Torey keeps playing everyone over our best power
and clutch hitter, I will join 1Sun and turn on Torey.

Just as he and I have been the most outspoken critics
of Igor as the unfit Head Coach of the Suns.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point, if I'm Christian Walker, I demand a trade. It's clear he will not be given a fair chance as long as Torey Lovullo is the manager.

Walker demanding a trade is a bit over the top. It has been 3 games. I believe if Lamb cannot play up to his potential Walker will find more playing time. Lamb was ALWAYS going to be given a long leash

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Walker demanding a trade is a bit over the top. It has been 3 games. I believe if Lamb cannot play up to his potential Walker will find more playing time. Lamb was ALWAYS going to be given a long leash
Again, it doesn't have to be Walker vs. Lamb.

Move Lamb back to 3B, bench Escobar and make Walker the full-time 1B.

Walker over Escobar is not a difficult decision.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, it doesn't have to be Walker vs. Lamb.

Move Lamb back to 3B, bench Escobar and make Walker the full-time 1B.

Walker over Escobar is not a difficult decision.

I see little chance of Escobar being benched right now which is why I believe it is Walker v Lamb. I agree the decision is easy if it is Walker v Escobar

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Here is the Walker/Lamb comparison for the season/4-game series. The only things Lamb has more of than Walker are at-bats, strikeouts and walks.

Walker, in less at-bats has more . . . runs (3 vs 1); hits (4 vs 1); doubles (1 vs 0); home runs (2 vs 0); RBI's (5 vs 0); total bases )11 vs 1); stolen bases
(1 vs 0); batting avg. (.571 vs .100); on base % (.571 vs .308); slugging % (1.571 vs. .100); and OPS (2.143 vs .408). And Lamb started 3 of the 4 games.

As Inspector Clouseau asked his assistant at the chalkboard after telling him that facts are all that matters, "What is the obvious conclusion?" "That Walker should
be the starting 1B, especially with 3 LH starters coming up for the Padres".

Clouseau replies, "No, you fool. It should be Lamb most of the time." "But what about facts?" And Clouseau responds, "Instinct."

We will see over the next three games, how many of them have Walker starting vs. 3 lefties.

If it is three, that is a step in the right direction. If it is two, then our best power hitter, Walker, is not even a platoon player, which makes no sense. If it is
one or zero (which I don't expect even Lovullo to sink to), then move over Pete Rose -- there must be a fix on. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can he pitch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the life of me, I do not know how Mike Butcher still has a job. The pitching, especially the situational pitching and the pitching down the stretch, has underachieved under his watch every season.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard