Chris Paul free agency thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm a little surprised they didn't try to get year 2 lower since that will be a tax year. Saving $1.6 million isn't very much but that $1.6 is $3.2 in tax money.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is speculation Chris Paul will not seek a third term as NBAPA President. CJ Mccollum is a potential successor.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a follow-up. CJ McCollum has been elected as the next president of the NBAPA.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Paul will be the Suns player representative? I know Frank was 2 years ago, before Paul became a Sun. I believe Paul was the player rep on the Suns last year also. Frank wasn't here to start the season so I'd be surprised if he kept the role since he had that gap where he wasn't a Sun at all.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd add it here, Cam Payne contract breakdown....

He might want to get a new agent. I'm surprised he signed for so little and its not all guaranteed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd add it here, Cam Payne contract breakdown....

He might want to get a new agent. I'm surprised he signed for so little and its not all guaranteed.

Look, I found it laughably ridiculous when a poster here claimed Payne was going to make 15-20 million on the open market, but holy cow do I think his agent did him dirty there.

and it’s not like the agent did himself any favors. That guy only makes money on the percentage of the contract he gets for his clients and that one is pretty bad. Good for us and the cap, but pretty bad for Cam.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look, I found it laughably ridiculous when a poster here claimed Payne was going to make 15-20 million on the open market, but holy cow do I think his agent did him dirty there.

and it’s not like the agent did himself any favors. That guy only makes money on the percentage of the contract he gets for his clients and that one is pretty bad. Good for us and the cap, but pretty bad for Cam.

Maybe he wanted to do a solid with the team who got his career back on track. Portis signed with the Bucks for even less.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe he wanted to do a solid with the team who got his career back on track. Portis signed with the Bucks for even less.

The Bucks were extremely limited in what they could offer him also. We could have paid Cam Payne more. All the Bucks could offer Portis though was the tax payer MLE since they lacked both early and full bird rights.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Bucks were extremely limited in what they could offer him also. We could have paid Cam Payne more. All the Bucks could offer Portis though was the tax payer MLE since they lacked both early and full bird rights.
Yeah, it doesn't happen much anymore but I appreciate it when a player tries to honor the team who provided the opportunity for their success.

But I do agree with Cheese, Cam Payne was never going to get 15-20 million, but a contract of 8-10 million per year over 2-3 years... that seemed totally reasonable.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have no idea what I thought he'd go for but I do know it was quite a bit more than we signed him for.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think the problem for Cam Payne is he has one year of good play versus several years of not good play or even being in the NBA. I think had he signed a 3 year with us, put up a good year this season too, he would be more of a known commodity and would garner that bigger payday. I think Payne was stuck between not having security and betting on himself with a one year deal, or trying to get several years on a deal to help his family.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the problem for Cam Payne is he has one year of good play versus several years of not good play or even being in the NBA. I think had he signed a 3 year with us, put up a good year this season too, he would be more of a known commodity and would garner that bigger payday. I think Payne was stuck between not having security and betting on himself with a one year deal, or trying to get several years on a deal to help his family.

Agree. After bouncing around from team to team in the NBA and in the G-League, $14.5 million guaranteed money offers Cam Payne security.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bump from the dead...

So what do we do with CP3, in obvious decline. I think this year is his final guaranteed full year, then next year is partially guaranteed. He comes off the books but i dont think that puts us under the cap to sign someone else outright. We would have to trade him?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump from the dead...

So what do we do with CP3, in obvious decline. I think this year is his final guaranteed full year, then next year is partially guaranteed. He comes off the books but i dont think that puts us under the cap to sign someone else outright. We would have to trade him?

If we trade him during the off-season then his guaranteed salary is all that counts in a trade or they can fully guarantee his deal to bring back a larger deal. The enticing part then would be how he'd essentially be a large expiring deal.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bump from the dead...

I think this year has to be the last of the Paul run. The Suns kind of know that to that’s why his contract was structured this way.

We desperately need to find Booker another running mate in the back court who can get his own shot

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked up his guarantee date and odds are we'll guarantee the deal unless we trade him during the draft.

2023-24 $15,800,000 guaranteed, fully guaranteed on 6/28/2023

His full salary is $30,800,000

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think this year has to be the last of the Paul run. The Suns kind of know that to that’s why his contract was structured this way.

We desperately need to find Booker another running mate in the back court who can get his own shot
How about we just elevate Haliburton from the bench? Oh . . .

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so no chatter here that kanye, while on a pro nazi rant, threw out that he caught Chris Paul sleeping with whatever kardashian kanye was married to?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
so no chatter here that kanye, while on a pro nazi rant, threw out that he caught Chris Paul sleeping with whatever kardashian kanye was married to?
Uh. Guy is unhinged. It was a very cryptic quote. He did not say he caught them in bed or anything. Could have been at a restaurant or something. Just not enough info or credibility to really address it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As far as the CP3 contract. He is a guy who likely has a clear plan for when he retires and what he does after that. That guy is smart and based. I have a hunch that he plans to retire after this deal is over. So, his contract becomes a very valuable expiring for a team that wants to do something big in the free agent market. Expirings do not seem to command as much value as they once did, but that would be his value to the Suns. His deal coming off the Suns books does not help them much, but it could help a team like the Lakers a lot--a team with limited picks going forward needs to be able to use the free-agent market.

He would likely be traded and retire.

So a deal like Paul to the Lakers for LeBron or AD, could give the Lakers a clean slate salary-wise and go for a top free agent. Not proposing a real trade, just kinda throwing example scenarios out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose