Chris Paul free agency thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was anybody really anticipating a steal with this contract? I mean the rumor has been around $30 million for as long as I remember and his player option was higher. When you sign an All-Star I don't think anybody expects a steal.

It is less than I though it'd be. I figured $100-105 million over 3 years. Saving that $10-15 million is important when talking about being in the tax.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is less than I though it'd be. I figured $100-105 million over 3 years. Saving that $10-15 million is important when talking about being in the tax.
Ah OK. I never thought it would be that high. Pretty much all the chatter said it would be in this ballpark for 3 years. The fourth year was a shock but we were not going to get anybody else.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah OK. I never thought it would be that high. Pretty much all the chatter said it would be in this ballpark for 3 years. The fourth year was a shock but we were not going to get anybody else.

I'm not certain but I believe that 4th year is not guaranteed, or the majority of it is not guaranteed. I've read a few different accounts. All say the same that $90 million is guaranteed but some state $20 million of year 3 is guaranteed and $10 million in year 4 is guaranteed. It'll be interesting to learn the details on that. Also I'm curious now if it'll be front loaded, flat, or a normal ascending salary.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm not certain but I believe that 4th year is not guaranteed, or the majority of it is not guaranteed. I've read a few different accounts. All say the same that $90 million is guaranteed but some state $20 million of year 3 is guaranteed and $10 million in year 4 is guaranteed. It'll be interesting to learn the details on that. Also I'm curious now if it'll be front loaded, flat, or a normal ascending salary.

Hopefully is deescalating but if they end up $10m under the tax it would’ve been smarter to just have him opt in then add two years on the tail end. That way his cap hits could’ve been around $25m the last two years which helps with future extensions.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It was when Beverly undercut him...on purpose...and then mocked him. The entire point of that dirty play was to get Cp3 to fall awkwardly and hurt himself.

Anyone that think Beverly didn't purposely try to take out 2 best players is fooling himself. Now the question becomes if Ty Lou and the rest of the coaches were in on it??

When you get that far into the playoffs, it seems to be a legit strategy to send out a thug to injur star players. Worked for the spurs for years!

If a player gets suspended for a clearly dirty play, coach should get 2X the number of games. Only way to stop the tactic
I agree he tried to take out our best players and even Ayton on the hard foul when he got up and slapped the floor. But the question is what are we going to do about it? Play as dirty as him? I don’t think it’s in our nature. Target him and take him out?? That cowardlyshove should’ve been the preverbal straw and only Frank did a lil something. I don’t think they should let that slide during the regular season, but what do I know.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I agree he tried to take out our best players and even Ayton on the hard foul when he got up and slapped the floor. But the question is what are we going to do about it? Play as dirty as him? I don’t think it’s in our nature. Target him and take him out?? That cowardlyshove should’ve been the preverbal straw and only Frank did a lil something. I don’t think they should let that slide during the regular season, but what do I know.

No, you don't retaliate on a scrub. You use a scrub of your own to send a message by a few hard fouls on the other team's star.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is an OUTSTANDING contract. Giving James Jones credit where it is due.

Sensing more and more that the problem in terms of current roster construction efforts is more Sarver than James Jones...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul could have picked up his player option for nearly $45 million so this is only like $30 million more guaranteed if my math is right and the Suns have the right to keep him for four years.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It also gives us a 30 million salary slot for trade purposes, even if Paul is on the struggle bus in that 3rd or potential 4th year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I said before in this very thread, I am now sensing that the problem is Sarver, not James Jones.

Not even a week ago you were saying that Sarver would be too cheap to bring back Paul and (especially) Cam Payne.

Now you're livid because less than 24 hours into free agency we haven't used every single bit of cap space to sign a 12th man.

This reminds me of how last year Aaron Nelson left for the Pelicans and it was CLEARLY because Sarver is terrible. Then we went onto have our healthiest season in a decade and the Pelicans were a mash unit.

Make some more predictions, please.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not even a week ago you were saying that Sarver would be too cheap to bring back Paul and (especially) Cam Payne.

Now you're livid because less than 24 hours into free agency we haven't used every single bit of cap space to sign a 12th man.

This reminds me of how last year Aaron Nelson left for the Pelicans and it was CLEARLY because Sarver is terrible. Then we went onto have our healthiest season in a decade and the Pelicans were a mash unit.

Make some more predictions, please.

Even if you count Crowder as a starting 4 (and he was clearly our weak link as a starter last year), the Suns need a primary back-up 4...badly. That is NOT a 12th man.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also even a old cp3 can lure fas next offseason and still vets this yr

Still im sure decent vets left suns will use roster on

Jones is awesome and sarver redeeming himself lol :)

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also i know highlights are highlights but dang shamet stroke Ion 3 is money good bench shooter for book!! B grade from me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose