Chris Paul enters COVID Protocol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but logically, if most signs point to you probably not having the virus, the most likely explanation for a positive test is a testing error. The most recent number I could find (in a quick search) estimates the false positive rate at 0.5%. With the thousands of tests the NBA has done, it's pretty much guaranteed that a few false positives were in there.

A colleague of mine had a positive test and dutifully did her full quarantine. This was several months ago. She had all of the extra risk factors: middle-aged, black, overweight, underlying health problems. Never showed any covid symptoms at all and made a full "recovery." We can't know for sure, but I think it's pretty likely that her one positive test was false.

this assumes they only did one test. And the test has been reported to be positive on Monday. I’m pretty sure they double checked that with everything on the line right now.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh. No. It’s dinner with the family and grandkids. No one leaves dad alone to watch the game on Father’s Day.
Exactly. It's your day. Now suffer the consequences. :p I kid...enjoy the day. Maybe you can sneak away for a bit. YouTube tv on your phone would be ideal to get to a bathroom and lock the door for a bit.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
this assumes they only did one test. And the test has been reported to be positive on Monday. I’m pretty sure they double checked that with everything on the line right now.

I don't think you can "double check" a test; I assume that the sample is destroyed through the original analysis. But yes, if he's had multiple positive tests, that's completely different.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can "double check" a test; I assume that the sample is destroyed through the original analysis. But yes, if he's had multiple positive tests, that's completely different.

I’m assuming multiple positive tests at this point to get into the protocol, especially if you’ve been vaxxed.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I’m assuming multiple positive tests at this point to get into the protocol, especially if you’ve been vaxxed.

There is no basis for that assumption. The only responsible thing to do is to treat all positive tests as accurate until you get convincing counter-evidence.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gotta hope for Clipps. I think Suns can win potentially the first two home games against Clipps without CP (no kawahi) but they arent winning in Utah with no CP

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no basis for that assumption. The only responsible thing to do is to treat all positive tests as accurate until you get convincing counter-evidence.

So, in a world where false positives do exist, with the entire season on the line, you think there’s no basis to assume the team and player took another test to make sure they didn’t get a false positive the first time, especially since he’s already been vaccinated?

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So, in a world where false positives do exist, with the entire season on the line, you think there’s no basis to assume the team and player took another test to make sure they didn’t get a false positive the first time?

Of course they'd want to get more tests. That's not the point. Neither you nor I knows what triggers a player entering "protocol," but we can make some intelligent guesses. And we can pretty well guess that the situation is not that vaccinated players get to ignore positive tests while non-vaccinated players have to abide by them. Imagine the egg on the league's face if that were their policy, they let a vaccinated positive run around free, and he infected a dozen more people.

Just move your angry fatalism to the back burner and think a little. If you were the NBA, how would you handle a positive test from a vaccinated player?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course they'd want to get more tests. That's not the point. Neither you nor I knows what triggers a player entering "protocol," but we can make some intelligent guesses. And we can pretty well guess that the situation is not that vaccinated players get to ignore positive tests while non-vaccinated players have to abide by them. Just imagine the egg on the league's face if that were their policy, they let a vaccinated positive run around free, and he infected a dozen more people.

Just put down your angry fatalism and think a little. If you were the NBA, how would you handle a positive test from a vaccinated player?

I’d test him a couple times to make sure he didn’t get a false positive. Are we arguing past each other snd making the same point here? And is there a reason you just decided to attack with your “angry fatalist” “think for a moment” garbage. I get that you don’t like me but this convo seemed civil until that.

edit: Ah... is this because I said “to get in the protocol”. I meant to remain in the protocol. I assume after the first test, you’re in the protocol and in the case of a vaccinated person (or non vaccinated for that matter) they check again the next day to rule out a false positive.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
edit: Ah... is this because I said “to get in the protocol”. I meant to stay in the protocol and just to make sure the test is accurate, they probably don’t just stop at one test so I assume they’ve done multiple tests for the benefit of the vaccinated player.

That seems reasonable, but we don't really know what "in the protocol" means. In general, the NBA has been pretty strict about covid safety. So I think it is reasonable to hypothesize that a positive test puts you "in," and then how quickly you get "out" depends on what they learn after that first positive test.

Haven't there been cases of someone being "in" for only 7-10 days? They wouldn't do that for someone who actually came down with a symptomatic case; every health guideline says that you need more time than that to recover and stop being a carrier. Unless I'm wrong about the existence of short-term protocol sentences, the only reason I can come up with for them is that the league concludes that the positive test was wrong. But they don't come out and say that, because it would undermine general confidence in the tests and make it look like they're making judgment calls -- which they are, but they don't want to draw attention to that fact.

I don't know that this is right, but I'm playing the percentages: #1, some players have (I think?) had shorter times "in protocol" than others, which suggests a quick trigger-finger for protocoling someone; #2, from what we know about Paul, it seems that a false positive is at least comparably likely to a true positive; #3, we haven't even gotten confirmation of a single positive test, and if he'd had more than one positive, all hell would be breaking loose figuring out what to do about his teammates.

So my assessment is that, so far, the evidence does not support this being a big deal. Emphasis on "so far."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That seems reasonable, but we don't really know what "in the protocol" means. In general, the NBA has been pretty strict about covid safety. So I think it is reasonable to hypothesize that a positive test puts you "in," and then how quickly you get "out" depends on what they learn after that first positive test.

Haven't there been cases of someone being "in" for only 7-10 days? They wouldn't do that for someone who actually came down with a symptomatic case; every health guideline says that you need more time than that to recover and stop being a carrier. Unless I'm wrong about the existence of short-term protocol sentences, the only reason I can come up with for them is that the league concludes that the positive test was wrong. But they don't come out and say that, because it would undermine general confidence in the tests and make it look like they're making judgment calls -- which they are, but they don't want to draw attention to that fact.

I don't know that this is right, but I'm playing the percentages: #1, some players have (I think?) had shorter times "in protocol" than others, which suggests a quick trigger-finger for protocoling someone; #2, from what we know about Paul, it seems that a false positive is at least comparably likely to a true positive; #3, we haven't even gotten confirmation of a single positive test, and if he'd had more than one positive, all hell would be breaking loose figuring out what to do about his teammates.

So my assessment is that, so far, the evidence does not support this being a big deal. Emphasis on "so far."

I can’t recall a player only being in for 7 days and I think I remember some guys going in to the protocol during the bubble then coming out after a couple days because of false positives. But I genuinely don’t remember people coming out of it before 10 days.

also, we have gotten reports that he tested positive on Monday, Somewhere way back in the thread. We also have Monty saying right now the focus is on the Chris’ health (or something like that). Seems like an odd thing to say if he hadn’t tested positive already to me. And if it is that the case that he’s tested positive, I’m assuming the entire team has been tested at this point and we have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes. Maybe they all already came back negative and since they’re vaccinated with negative tests, they don’t need to go into the protocol. Think that graphic posted listing the NBA rules for vaccinated players said if you’ve been in contact with someone with Covid, but have been vaccinated and tested negative you don’t have to quarantine.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I can’t recall a player only being in for 7 days and I think I remember some guys going in to the protocol during the bubble then coming out after a couple days because of false positives. But I genuinely don’t remember people coming out of it before 10 days.

also, we have gotten reports that he tested positive on Monday, Somewhere way back in the thread. We also have Monty saying right now the focus is on the Chris’ health (or something like that). Seems like an odd thing to say if he hadn’t tested positive already to me. And if it is that the case that he’s tested positive, I’m assuming the entire team has been tested at this point and we have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes. Maybe they all already came back negative and since they’re vaccinated with negative tests, they don’t need to go into the protocol. Think that graphic posted listing the NBA rules for vaccinated players said if you’ve been in contact with someone with Covid, but have been vaccinated and tested negative you don’t have to quarantine.

I hadn't seen the thing from Williams -- it must be have been on Twitter, or re-posted here by someone I have on Ignore. Or maybe I just overlooked it. I agree, that's a weird thing for him to say if Paul had already banked a negative test after his positive one. On the other hand, tests typically take 24 hours to turn around, so maybe Williams's comment and the second test crossed in the mail.

As for shorter protocols, I could be wrong about that too. So maybe I am putting too optimistic a spin on things. I'll defer to the naysayers for now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't seen the thing from Williams -- it must be have been on Twitter, or re-posted here by someone I have on Ignore. Or maybe I just overlooked it. I agree, that's a weird thing for him to say if Paul had already banked a negative test after his positive one. On the other hand, tests typically take 24 hours to turn around, so maybe Williams's comment and the second test crossed in the mail.

As for shorter protocols, I could be wrong about that too. So maybe I am putting too optimistic a spin on things. I'll defer to the naysayers for now.

if you watch and listen to James Jones and Monty, they sound pretty beat. But then Monty DOES at some point say “and see if we have Chris back for Game 1” at one point.

I’ve been trying all day to get some hard reporting from something connected to the league with all the talk about “viral loads” “iso may be shorter for vaccinated positives” narratives floated during the day. There’s just so many unanswered questions out there, reports of things I’ve never heard before, etc etc.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can see it being gamesmanship not declaring Paul out for Game 1 , especially when we don't know when that game will take place. Why say now he's out when there are a few variables at play?

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
Man you guys are hilarious. We are talking about 20 and 30 year olds in peak physical condition. There is absolutely no reason for them to take an experimental vaccine. At best only 30% of the league is vaccinated and its more likely 20% or below.

That said, the league is ridiculous too. Who are they trying to protect at this point?

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man you guys are hilarious. We are talking about 20 and 30 year olds in peak physical condition. There is absolutely no reason for them to take an experimental vaccine. At best only 30% of the league is vaccinated and its more likely 20% or below.

That said, the league is ridiculous too. Who are they trying to protect at this point?

"experimental"?

o_O

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
"experimental"?

o_O

We can quibble about word choice but the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine are the first of their type and only have emergency-use authorization from the FDA. So that's, IMO, an absolutely fair assessment.

And before someone comes in with, "hurr, durr, stupid anti-vaxxer"; I got the Pfizer shot in April.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are not hilarious.

By taking the vaccine they are trying to protect the lives of those who are not 20 and 30 year olds who may die if they get COVID.

Over 600,000 people have died in this country from the virus and they are not all older people either.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You sound very confident, too bad you're so badly misinformed. I believe you're wrong on a few things here but I KNOW you're wrong on the bolded part. The league announced they had crossed the 70% threshold a few months ago.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"experimental"?

o_O

We can quibble about word choice but the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine are the first of their type and only have emergency-use authorization from the FDA. So that's, IMO, an absolutely fair assessment.

And before someone comes in with, "hurr, durr, stupid anti-vaxxer"; I got the Pfizer shot in April.

Pretty much everything is "experimental" if you get picky enough, I know that meal I had last night was. But much of the nonsense about this vaccine grows out of ignorance, it HAS been well tested and despite the silly "grow a third hand" nonsense that some protesters spout, the mRNA vaccines don't interact with our DNA in any way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much everything is "experimental" if you get picky enough, I know that meal I had last night was. But much of the nonsense about this vaccine grows out of ignorance, it HAS been well tested and despite the silly "grow a third hand" nonsense that some protesters spout, the mRNA vaccines don't interact with our DNA in any way.

I'm glad most of the Suns organization took the virus seriously and were vaccinated.

There was only positive test during the last NBA reporting period and I'm guessing we know who.

What a stroke of bad luck.

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
You are not hilarious.

By taking the vaccine they are trying to protect the lives of those who are not 20 and 30 year olds who may die if they get COVID.

Over 600,000 people have died in this country from the virus and they are not all older people either.
“from” lol like my terminally ill friends aunt.. I guess covid killed her not cancer.

Its funny 600K people “died” from an unexpected disease and we still managed to finish within range of pre-covid projected death toll for the year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson