Chicago trip advice needed

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Taking the Family to our first away game vs Bears. Have a few days to check out the area.

Would love any advice, besides dress warm.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Art Institute is a must! The best view of US Cellular and the South Side is from Willis Tower. Don't go any closer than that!

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
probably too cold for this but the architectural boat tour through the city is absolutely beautiful. My wife and I LOVED Chicago. People there were super nice.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Grant Park by Lake Michigan has most of the attractions. The Museum of Science & Industry plus Shedd Aquarium would be the top family attractions. I lived in Chicago for years. Dress in layers. The forecast doesn’t call for much wind. It can come up unexpectedly and be bitter cold. Hand warmers are good for the game & stocking caps. Like at any stadium, it’s possible to encounter drunk jerks. Hard to fly with blankets, but cheap ones from a discounter would be worth it. Might want to check what you can bring in. It’s always changing. Trust me it will feel even colder than it is. The game won’t be fun if you’re freezing. Soldier Field is in Grant Park also.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
My daughter lived there for a few years. When we went for a visit she took us to;
Navy pier with dinner cruise
Architectural river tour
Shedd aquarium
Buddy Guy's blues club.
Willis tower
The Biograph Theater, where John Dillinger was shot in an alley next to the theater. Still there.
The Green Mill bar. Where Al Capone frequented. Original booth is still there and escape hatch in floor that leads to other buildings in the area.
Dont forget to piss on the side of trump building while there.

NWMike

Rookie
Reaction score
Can’t believe it hasn’t been said already but if any of your family likes dinosaurs The Field has has the most complete T-Rex skeleton anywhere. It’s named Sue. If you go to the Museum of Science the special exhibits (coal mine, sub tour) must be booked in advance as they sell out. If you want to see the city from a observation deck and don’t want to fight crowds at Willis Tower (Seats Tower for the older crowd) 360 Chicago at Watertower place is a good option. The bean is next to the Art Institute and is a popular pic site. Ginos East for pizza.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t believe it hasn’t been said already but if any of your family likes dinosaurs The Field has has the most complete T-Rex skeleton anywhere. It’s named Sue. If you go to the Museum of Science the special exhibits (coal mine, sub tour) must be booked in advance as they sell out. If you want to see the city from a observation deck and don’t want to fight crowds at Willis Tower (Seats Tower for the older crowd) 360 Chicago at Watertower place is a good option. The bean is next to the Art Institute and is a popular pic site. Ginos East for pizza.
That Dino is insane.

That pizza sucks.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If you have daughters and if your wife wishes to do some shopping, then the Magnificent Mile (Michigan Ave) is the spot for them. There is also a Big Macy's on State Street along with other stores. I used to go on business to Chicago and stayed at the Wit (Doubletree by Hilton), a really nice hotel on the corner of E. Lake and N. State. If you are flying you can take the Blue line to downtown Chicago right from the airport (O'Hare). It really depends on how close you are staying to the stadium.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Chicago, in the Summer, is my favorite place to visit. Friendly people and a great city with tons of things to do. Portillos for an Italian beef sandwich or a chicago style dog is a great for lunch.

Don't park at the stadium. It's a nightmare but it's a very easy walk from the hotels.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Harry mentioned the drunk fans. Don't underestimate. I'd be hesitant to wear Card gear since you're taking family. It's likely the Cards will be leading which will mitigate some of the more aggressive fans.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Harry mentioned the drunk fans. Don't underestimate. I'd be hesitant to wear Card gear since you're taking family. It's likely the Cards will be leading which will mitigate some of the more aggressive fans.
I've been to 2 games in Chicago with Cards gear on and never had any issues. Bears fans aren't bad.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've been to 2 games in Chicago with Cards gear on and never had any issues. Bears fans aren't bad.
Maybe times have changed. I went 20 years ago, had my Plummer jersey on. Had numerous beers chucked at me, aggressive yelling (well beyond normal), etc. The fans were just awful.

I can still clearly remember Pittman running left and losing a fumble costing the Cards the win. The tight, hard fought game may have led to more testosterone.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember wearing my Plummer jersey there and a guy yelled “ Hey , I didn’t know Plummer was so fat”. I quickly replied, “ your mother didn’t think so last night.” No response.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Where are you staying? If you are staying outside of downtown you are better off taking a train in to the city and catching one of the stadium express busses that they run on game days, traffic is a nightmare.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
If someone tells you to get a deep dish, run away as quickly as you can because that's the worst advice imaginable.

Michigan Ave north of the loop you will see the Xmas lights display that's pretty magnificent. Great window shopping as well.

During the Christmas season there is a great outdoor market called Kristkindle market at the Daley Plaza, its a must see. Great authentic German Xmas crafts and outrageously good German food and drink.

Check out Gene and Georgetti's for a great old school Italian steakhouse. Incredible food

Chicago Cut is more of the modern day steakhouse, located on the river with exceptional views at nighttime. Great wine list as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If someone tells you to get a deep dish, run away as quickly as you can because that's the worst advice imaginable.

The only worse advice someone can give about Chicago than above would be to tell them to go to Chicago in winter.

Lou’s is God. Anyone who thinks different has had their taste buds lobotomized.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been to Chicago once, played Olympia Fields golf course the year they played the US Open there. Don't change into your golf shoes in the parking lot... they'll tell you to leave.

Can't remember exactly because I don't drink but my homeboys took me to a bar downtown where some famous cocktail was invented... The Old Fashioned? maybe

Someone mentioned Buddy Guy Blues club, wow I'd have given my eye teeth to go there.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Someone mentioned Buddy Guy Blues club, wow I'd have given my eye teeth to go there.

Buddy Guys is cool but Kingston Mines is the better blues club. It's a great venue that I didn't go often enough to since I live in the burbs--I leave IL in 2 weeks maybe I can convince my wife to go one last time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson