Changes for Next Season?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where did this fascination with Lonzo Ball come from?

I don't love him. He is the best young point guard available, and he improved a lot last year.

I will say this - I definetley think he will be the better player in three years - which is realistically when our core should be peaking.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, retaining Paul is definitely the best thing that could happen. If I were confident we'd get 2020-2021 CP in year 2 and 3, then no doubt about it. That said, CP was a shell of himself by the end of the playoffs, and it's an entirely expected outcome.

I'd much rather overpay in a one year deal then face the potential consequences of a diminished/injured CP over a longer deal. That said, with CP being head of PA, I doubt he's seeking anything less than the most he can make.

With such a short negotiating window (10 days I believe), it'll be fascinating to see what plays out.

hell if he wanted 50 million for next year I’d do that in a heart beat. It’s that 2nd and 3rd year that are concerning

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would think the Blazers would want more than Bridges as the best player in return for Dame.

How would they sell that to their fans?

Obviously they won't get equal value, but I think they at least need to get a leading scorer type back in any deal they would do.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s been driven off the lot and already depreciated. There’s a reason no one is clamoring for him. Because he’s a Kia.

I'm offering you a good ride even though it's not a brand name. Are you really thinking that 36 year old car will not break down and leave you knee deep in debt?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why are you shocked?

His family lived in LA all season even though he played here. Do you not think he wants to live with his family?

Do you not think a team of him, Lebron and AD gives him at least as good of chance if not better of winning the title?

Because he just had his most successful season ever...

AND, far more importantly, the Lakers have no cap space or trade assets. They can't even trade a 1st round pick for like a decade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm offering you a good ride even though it's not a brand name. Are you really thinking that 36 year old car will not break down and leave you knee deep in debt?
I think it’s got another great year or two of luxury driving. And then someone is always willing to take it off my hands so I can buy a new one or a slightly used BMW. Meanwhile, I’ll pull up next you at the light in your Kia that keeps pulling left.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s got another great year or two of luxury driving. And then someone is always willing to take it off my hands so I can buy a new one or a slightly used BMW. Meanwhile, I’ll pull up next you at the light in your Kia that keeps pulling left.

Gosh, your exhaust is blowing black smoke.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the shoulder was in the Lakers series, Covid absences and the torn ligaments were in the Clippers series and the dislocated finger was in the Bucks series (game 2 or 3?).

When you put it like that... Paul carried a heavy load and still played well for the Suns.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does he force a trade? He can’t force a sign and trade. If he opts in he’s stuck. If he opts out we don’t have to accommodate him and we end up with something like $25-27M in cap space.
He is going to decline his player option and opt out. That's a done deal. I am thinking if there is a player the Suns really covet they will work with Paul to maximize their return through a sign and trade so they get something in return verses let him walk (assuming there is a 3rd team involved). Paul would be willing to do it because he gets the most money if he agrees to a sign and trade. A trade might be more likely to net someone they want verses trying in FA. If Paul opts out and leaves and the Suns strike out in FA they are screwed.

Not that I think any of this has a chance in hell of happening. I simply don't see him going to the Lakers because you know they are going to ask him to take less to play there which makes all the above moot.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul to Lakers, Dame to Suns, picks/Bridges/Kuzma+ to Blazers? Again, hard to build around the Lakers crap.
I would do that if the money works. I have no clue why people would want Ball. Does the money work?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He is going to decline his player option and opt out. That's a done deal. I am thinking if there is a player the Suns really covet they will work with Paul to maximize their return through a sign and trade so they get something in return verses let him walk (assuming there is a 3rd team involved). Paul would be willing to do it because he gets the most money if he agrees to a sign and trade. A trade might be more likely to net someone they want verses trying in FA. If Paul opts out and leaves and the Suns strike out in FA they are screwed.

Not that I think any of this has a chance in hell of happening. I simply don't see him going to the Lakers because you know they are going to ask him to take less to play there which makes all the above moot.
Yeah that’s not Paul “forcing” a trade. That’s the suns doing a deal bc they want to. There’s a big difference.