Changes for Next Season?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Exactly but the Lakers have a long history of complex deals to get who they want. My guess is it would have to be a three team deal for the Suns to really get a piece they want. The rest of the Laker roster would end being salary baggage for the Suns depending on when those salaries expire and not help them improve next year. If Paul forces a trade though? The Suns might not have much of a choice.
How does he force a trade? He can’t force a sign and trade. If he opts in he’s stuck. If he opts out we don’t have to accommodate him and we end up with something like $25-27M in cap space.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Paul to Lakers, Dame to Suns, picks/Bridges/Kuzma+ to Blazers? Again, hard to build around the Lakers crap.
If there’s any way to get dame and if only costs Paul Bridges and a couple protected picks it’s a win. Dame is 31 afterall.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Where did this fascination with Lonzo Ball come from?

People trying to find available alternatives in the very real case that Chris Paul leaves?

I want CP back, but what if it's at 45M for the next 3 years? I think the answer is yes but yeeeeesh. That's a lot of dough for a 36 year old with big big mileage.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
People trying to find available alternatives in the very real case that Chris Paul leaves?

I want CP back, but what if it's at 45M for the next 3 years? I think the answer is yes but yeeeeesh. That's a lot of dough for a 36 year old with big big mileage.
It’s not my money. To me it’s all about the product on the court, the continued advancement of the young guys.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It’s not my money. To me it’s all about the product on the court, the continued advancement of the young guys.
Yeah, retaining Paul is definitely the best thing that could happen. If I were confident we'd get 2020-2021 CP in year 2 and 3, then no doubt about it. That said, CP was a shell of himself by the end of the playoffs, and it's an entirely expected outcome.

I'd much rather overpay in a one year deal then face the potential consequences of a diminished/injured CP over a longer deal. That said, with CP being head of PA, I doubt he's seeking anything less than the most he can make.

With such a short negotiating window (10 days I believe), it'll be fascinating to see what plays out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking the same. We need to load manage the heck out of CP3. His energy and quickness were completely gone in the finals, even when compared to the Clippers series before. Whether that was fatigue or injury, or both, load management should help him continue to perform deeper into the playoffs

It's hard to know. A team can't protect a player from injury but if the Suns keep Paul they need to make the effort to protect him more even though he likes to play every game.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Suns should get Ben Simmons.

Don’t know what it would take to get him, but they should do it. Seriously.

They need a big guy. The need a playmaker. They need more defense.

They need everything he’s good at. If Phillys gonna be dumb and dump him the suns should seriously consider it.
Dump him yes. But we won't be dumb and dump him. The Sixers know what we have (or don't have) in him, and as much as I would gladly drive him to the airport, I want assets in return that make us better, not just bodies and late round first rounders.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a 24 year old Kia that pulls to the left, has a rattle, and is a standard package - but no electric windows or door locks.

A new KIA of your choice with all the upgrades. I'm mostly playing the devil's advocate for discussion purposes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
multiple posters have been pimping replacing Paul with Ball... for reasons beyond most of us.
I get wanting to get rid of CP3 (even though I'm against it), but why Lonzo Ball of all people? Is it only because he happens to be available?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised there is this level of concern about Paul staying. I would be absolutely shocked if he leaves. IMO, we've already got a deal worked out.

I don't think there is any concern about Paul leaving. It's simply something to talk about.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A new KIA of your choice with all the upgrades. I'm mostly playing the devil's advocate for discussion purposes.
Not really of your choice. Most of the KIAs are owned and not available. And the KIA about which we are speaking does not have the upgrades.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm surprised there is this level of concern about Paul staying. I would be absolutely shocked if he leaves. IMO, we've already got a deal worked out.
When it’s the nba, Lebron, and the lakers there’s always a chance . . .

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Paul to Lakers, Dame to Suns, picks/Bridges/Kuzma+ to Blazers? Again, hard to build around the Lakers crap.

that is never going to happen but for Dame you can have my picks for the next decade

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really of your choice. Most of the KIAs are owned and not available. And the KIA about which we are speaking does not have the upgrades.

Now you are putting conditions on that new KIA.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why are you shocked?

His family lived in LA all season even though he played here. Do you not think he wants to live with his family?

Do you not think a team of him, Lebron and AD gives him at least as good of chance if not better of winning the title?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
that is never going to happen but for Dame you can have my picks for the next decade

I don't think Chris would be down for going to Portland - in fact I know he would not be.

It's just a pipe dream.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get wanting to get rid of CP3 (even though I'm against it), but why Lonzo Ball of all people? Is it only because he happens to be available?
I don't want to get rid of Paul but there aren't a lot of great replacements for him if we do lose Chris. Ball might actually be his equal for us, or close to it, during the regular season (hasn't been so far, I'm projecting continued improvement) but he's not the leader that Paul is, not even close. But IF he wants to be in Phoenix and IF we can live with his family baggage, we might not have a better option.

On the plus side, he's a better defender than Chris, he's more of a threat from 3, he can pass and play uptempo. But he misses a lot of games and he's still not effective enough in the half-court game. Basically it's like going back from Paul to Rubio, except Rubio has less personal baggage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose