Changes for Next Season?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... beyond reaching dude. Not sure why... but if you're looking to engage is another stupid, endless debate, you picked the wrong guy.
Re-read my post. And when you're done, re-read it again. And if you come away with anything other than:

- I believe the Suns must bring Paul back.
- His age concerns me and that a viable back-up to take mins away from Paul during the regular season, would be helpful.
- And, Paul wore down in the post season.

See ya...

Beaten into submission by a player like Jrue Holiday is not wore down as the post season went on but if you want to end it, fine.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thought it happened in game 2. If you're thinking of the same incident I am where Paul went to the bench, was getting his hand worked on by a trainer and they tried blocking cameras from catching it. A reporter asked Paul about it later, maybe halftime or postgame, but he no sold it, acting like nothing happened. That was odd to see all around.

My theory is that he also aggravated his shoulder injury when this happened. Certainly looked like the arm wasn't fully functional, as well as the hand, at least in Game 5.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it happened in game 2. If you're thinking of the same incident I am where Paul went to the bench, was getting his hand worked on by a trainer and they tried blocking cameras from catching it. A reporter asked Paul about it later, maybe halftime or postgame, but he no sold it, acting like nothing happened. That was odd to see all around.

Yeah, that's probably the point I'm talking about, I just forgot which game it was. I knew it was early in the Bucks series but that was it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My theory is that he also aggravated his shoulder injury when this happened. Certainly looked like the arm wasn't fully functional, as well as the hand, at least in Game 5.
I don't know when the shoulder started bothering him again but you could see it was whenever he tried to put a hand up on D.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers rumored to be looking for a Sign and Trade for Chris Paul.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
IIRC the dislocated finger happened early in game 3 of the Bucks series?
Not sure about the dislocated finger but the ligament damage was Game 3 of the Clips.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure about the dislocated finger but the ligament damage was Game 3 of the Clips.

Yeah, the shoulder was in the Lakers series, Covid absences and the torn ligaments were in the Clippers series and the dislocated finger was in the Bucks series (game 2 or 3?).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We do not disagree about Beverley. Holiday is like Beverley without the blatantly flagrant stuff.

Chris Paul is not going to change his game and I doubt the refereeing in the playoffs is going to change either.

If the Suns want to change they should be looking at players like Lonzo Ball as Finito suggested or better depth at point guard.
I wish we could view an alternate universe so those wanting to replace Paul with lonzo could see what a huge step back that would be without us actually having to pay the price.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You had me until your Bridges slander! I really think he's a part of the next great Suns team. He definitely needs to get stronger and better at creating, but as long as he can make 3's and play solid D, he'll always be valuable.

Oh I agree completely. I just think he is the most tradable piece to upgrade the roster

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns played 22 extra games in the playoffs. It can wear on a team. I now understand why stars try to preserve their body during the season.

If the Suns keep Paul they need to plan on giving him more rest even if he wants to play every game.

I've been thinking the same. We need to load manage the heck out of CP3. His energy and quickness were completely gone in the finals, even when compared to the Clippers series before. Whether that was fatigue or injury, or both, load management should help him continue to perform deeper into the playoffs

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

This is not a Steve nash situation. This suns team is not closing their window, they’re opening it. And the lakers are now out direct competition. So (a) we don’t owe Chris Paul the favor of sending him where he wants to go like we did with nash; and (b) EFF the lakers.

besides wtf could they even give us? They have no draft picks and really few young players, none of whom make enough to match up salary-wise. What, Schroder, kuzma, Horton-Tucker? Horton-Tucker is the only I would be even vaguely interested in, and he’s no equivalent for Paul.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish we could view an alternate universe so those wanting to replace Paul with lonzo could see what a huge step back that would be without us actually having to pay the price.

come on... replacing a sure fire hall of famer, coming off a 2nd Team ALL-NBA, 4th in MVP voting season with Lonzo Ball and a Pupu Platter of other Players definitely doesn’t hurt all that much.

the reality is, the replace CP3 with the Lonzo Plus Pupu Platter Of Players Plan would lead the same result that replacing Amare with Hakim Warrick/Josh Childress/Hedo Turkoglu crap. Now I agreed with dumping Amare, because it looked like our window was closing, we never got to the Finals, we knew his knee was a ticking time bomb and he wanted a 5 year deal. But we still didn’t have to go for the drek we did snd we saw what kind of mediocre monstrosity that swap of talent got us. The Lonzo plan will mire us right back to the same place.

This Suns team is a solid KT trade away from legitimately winning this thing with a CP3 who likely only gets 3 years on a deal, two of which he’ll likely still be good to great. Our window is there for two years. I think Paul will still be good for those two years. The last year is the price of doing business trying to win a title, IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking the same. We need to load manage the heck out of CP3. His energy and quickness were completely gone in the finals, even when compared to the Clippers series before. Whether that was fatigue or injury, or both, load management should help him continue to perform deeper into the playoffs

been thinking the same thing. That makes Payne getting re-signed a major priority.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Please don't get rid of Paul for Ball. I really hope they keep Paul as he will continue to mentor and help this team....

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It makes the Haliburton whiff even worse. He potentially could have been the difference maker, in terms of both rest for CP and a true PG in a big body.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
come on... replacing a sure fire hall of famer, coming off a 2nd Team ALL-NBA, 4th in MVP voting season with Lonzo Ball and a Pupu Platter of other Players definitely doesn’t hurt all that much.

the reality is, the replace CP3 with the Lonzo Plus Pupu Platter Of Players Plan would lead the same result that replacing Amare with Hakim Warrick/Josh Childress/Hedo Turkoglu crap. Now I agreed with dumping Amare, because it looked like our window was closing, we never got to the Finals, we knew his knee was a ticking time bomb and he wanted a 5 year deal. But we still didn’t have to go for the drek we did snd we saw what kind of mediocre monstrosity that swap of talent got us. The Lonzo plan will mire us right back to the same place.

This Suns team is a solid KT trade away from legitimately winning this thing with a CP3 who likely only gets 3 years on a deal, two of which he’ll likely still be good to great. Our window is there for two years. I think Paul will still be good for those two years. The last year is the price of doing business trying to win a title, IMO.

you are more than welcome to bring some ideas to table instead of just crapping on everybody else’s.

and the reality is if you have that little faith in our young guys we’re not really contenders anyway.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s not a black and white issue and wish guys would stop trying to make it that. Nobody on here actually thinks Lonzo Ball is better than Paul

but factors like money, age, health are real things. I think we all agree that Paul is past his prime. Acting like people are crazy for not wanting to give a guy past his prime 100 million is just ridiculous. Does anyone think Paul’s best years are ahead of him?

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
you are more than welcome to bring some ideas to table instead of just crapping on everybody else’s.

and the reality is if you have that little faith in our young guys we’re not really contenders anyway.
Well I think our idea of bringing Paul back is pretty obvious, but if you need us to type it . . .

My idea is to run back a squad that was within two wins of a championship, work for the four guys to improve. Use the exception to bring in a competent big man. Use the injury slot for a backup big or backup SG. Not backslide like we would by replacing a HOFer with a pupu platter of mediocrity.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Please don't get rid of Paul for Ball. I really hope they keep Paul as he will continue to mentor and help this team....
Exactly. The young guys aren’t ready to have the training wheels taken off. Particularly not Ayton.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Or covid?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Exactly. The young guys aren’t ready to have the training wheels taken off. Particularly not Ayton.

If the NBA Finals taught us anything, it is this. In the end, when CP3 could no longer play at his standard level, all of the young guys wilted.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not a Steve nash situation. This suns team is not closing their window, they’re opening it. And the lakers are now out direct competition. So (a) we don’t owe Chris Paul the favor of sending him where he wants to go like we did with nash; and (b) EFF the lakers.

besides wtf could they even give us? They have no draft picks and really few young players, none of whom make enough to match up salary-wise. What, Schroder, kuzma, Horton-Tucker? Horton-Tucker is the only I would be even vaguely interested in, and he’s no equivalent for Paul.
Exactly but the Lakers have a long history of complex deals to get who they want. My guess is it would have to be a three team deal for the Suns to really get a piece they want. The rest of the Laker roster would end being salary baggage for the Suns depending on when those salaries expire and not help them improve next year. If Paul forces a trade though? The Suns might not have much of a choice.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Exactly but the Lakers have a long history of complex deals to get who they want. My guess is it would have to be a three team deal. The rest of the Laker roster would end being salary baggage for the Suns depending on when those salaries expire and not help them improve next year. If Paul forces a trade though? The Suns might not have much of a choice.
Paul to Lakers, Dame to Suns, picks/Bridges/Kuzma+ to Blazers? Again, hard to build around the Lakers crap.