Chandler Jones requested a trade

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not trading a 31 year old pass rusher in a contract dispute and a 5th for this guy is silly. And 18m per is cheap. Humphrey is getting 19.5. Ramsey 20.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
The issue with Howard is the cost to acquire him. You have to give up players or picks and give him a new large new contract. That is a lot to give up for a guy when the scheme he is playing in won't maximize his talents. Like trading for and paying top dollar for a RB to then put in a RBBC where he is only on the field 50% of the snaps.

How would this be remotely similar to trading for a player that would play half of the snaps?

Also - do you for some reason think that all corners perform the same when playing in a zone scheme or that the Cardinals run very little man coverage?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Not trading a 31 year old pass rusher in a contract dispute and a 5th for this guy is silly. And 18m per is cheap. Humphrey is getting 19.5. Ramsey 20.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah whether Howard or Gilmore, we have a desperate need for a legit corner moving forward. Both would qualify.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
had we resigned Reddick, signed Watt and made this trade, I would have been all for this. Still could have signed Butler. Would have kept our good pass rush together from last year while adding Watt and Rhodes and Butler. That would have been a bang up off-season for this defense.
Agree. A shame the front office couldn’t see this.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
How would this be remotely similar to trading for a player that would play half of the snaps?

Also - do you for some reason think that all corners perform the same when playing in a zone scheme or that the Cardinals run very little man coverage?
They are similar by not utilizing the asset you are acquiring to it's greatest potential.

Cardinals run very little match-man (or shadow) or iso-man+zone combos. They will run man and they will run zone but you can easily avoid a CB if you want. Also, your ability to excel as a zone CB is limited. You almost have to have the freedom to break scheme to do so.

Mike Zimmer quote "I can find a cover-2 corner anywhere. I can go down to the 7-11 in Bloomington and get one."

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
They are similar by not utilizing the asset you are acquiring to it's greatest potential.

Cardinals run very little match-man (or shadow) or iso-man+zone combos. They will run man and they will run zone but you can easily avoid a CB if you want. Also, your ability to excel as a zone CB is limited. You almost have to have the freedom to break scheme to do so.

Mike Zimmer quote "I can find a cover-2 corner anywhere. I can go down to the 7-11 in Bloomington and get one."

You can always avoid a corner, that’s not the point. I would love to once again have a corner teams avoid as we haven’t had one for years.

Could you share these statistics where it cites the Cardinals playing very little man? This information was pretty difficult to come by but one I found stated they played more cover-1 than nearly every other team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You can always avoid a corner, that’s not the point. I would love to once again have a corner teams avoid as we haven’t had one for years.

Could you share these statistics where it cites the Cardinals playing very little man? This information was pretty difficult to come by but one I found stated they played more cover-1 than nearly every other team.

Patrick Peterson was one of the least-targeted CBs in the NFL last year.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Being an elite CB I think is one of the most rare or rarest skill sets next right next to a franchise QB. Finding a 'shutdown CB' (if they even really still exist in the truest sense now with the new rules which favor the offense) is extremely rare. We have had two in my time watching the Cards, Aeneas Williams and Patrick Peterson in his prime. DRC for example was great but not a shutdown corner, while the likes of Deon Sanders are once in a blue moon. I think we have become spoiled, just like ironically Peterson thinking he still has 'it' as a shutdown guy. There are teams and fans of those teams which cannot remember having a shutdown CB at all

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If Vance is the DC long term, I am ok with drafting CBs and spending on pass rushers.
I've seen little from Vance to say I'd want to build around him or his D. My guess is this year is a put up or ship out year for VJ as well.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Patrick Peterson was one of the least-targeted CBs in the NFL last year.
For ***** and giggles I pulled up profootballreference.com and looked at their advanced stats.

Peterson was targeted 79 times and gave up a 98 QB Rating when targeted (above average since 92 QB Rating is the league average now).
Kirkpatrick was targeted 94 times and gave up a 80.1 QB Rating....better than I thought he would
Murphy 81 times for a 92.5 QB Rating (league average)
Campbell 56 times for a 104.2 QB Rating (12 points above average)
Hicks 62 times for a 85.4 QB Rating (shocking)
Simmons 25 times for a 102 QB Rating (10 points above)

Kevin Peterson gave up like a 132 average on only 8 targets

For reference Malcolm Butler was targeted a ridiculous 127 times but gave up an 83.2 QB rating
Darqueze Dennard was targeted 59 times with an 86.1 QB Rating
Daryl Worley targeted 18 times with a 149.3 QB Rating...small sample like Kevin Peterson...but wow...5 TDs too!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For ***** and giggles I pulled up profootballreference.com and looked at their advanced stats.

Peterson was targeted 79 times and gave up a 98 QB Rating when targeted (above average since 92 QB Rating is the league average now).
Kirkpatrick was targeted 94 times and gave up a 80.1 QB Rating....better than I thought he would
Murphy 81 times for a 92.5 QB Rating (league average)
Campbell 56 times for a 104.2 QB Rating (12 points above average)
Hicks 62 times for a 85.4 QB Rating (shocking)
Simmons 25 times for a 102 QB Rating (10 points above)

Kevin Peterson gave up like a 132 average on only 8 targets

For reference Malcolm Butler was targeted a ridiculous 127 times but gave up an 83.2 QB rating
Darqueze Dennard was targeted 59 times with an 86.1 QB Rating
Daryl Worley targeted 18 times with a 149.3 QB Rating...small sample like Kevin Peterson...but wow...5 TDs too!
And none of that takes into account tackling or run support.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how successful was he at defending those targets and was his play viewed favorably overall?
He was slightly below-average at allowing completions, but I accept your apology for being uninformed about Peterson’s targets.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
put the mask over your nose morons.
I hope that was just because they wanted to have the masks on as a PR move since they were around just themselves for the most part (come on, we do not wear masks constantly around our friends in a limited capacity) and wanted to be comfortable breathing... but if not, geez!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope that was just because they wanted to have the masks on as a PR move since they were around just themselves for the most part (come on, we do not wear masks constantly around our friends in a limited capacity) and wanted to be comfortable breathing... but if not, geez!

just makes them look stupid.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose