Chandler Jones requested a trade

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pretty impossible to hold out any more. New CBA fines 50k a day.

Why would they sign something like that? And no guarantee money? At least get guarantee your money if you are going to give up one of you best negotiation tactics.

BritCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nature of their industry.

Exactly. It's not like the players don't have a say on framework they operate in. That's what the CBA is for and that's how unions work.

I could care less if Chandler Jones gets $18m or $15m per year. If you want to be concerned about player salaries it's not the mega rich superstars anyone should be concerned about. It's the players who make up the majority of the league on vet min or thereabouts.

In my opinion 8 times out of 10 the player vastly overestimates their value, causes a stir, hit's FA then ends up taking less than he was offered originally by their current team. See P2, Lev Bell et all. And 8 times out of 10 the teams that cave in and end up paying up were right all along and live to regret it.

BritCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why would they sign something like that? And no guarantee money? At least get guarantee your money if you are going to give up one of you best negotiation tactics.

Because unions cover everyone in the union and most NFL players aren't superstars on $15m+ a year. Most of them can't afford to ever hold out as they don't have the status to carry it off. The few that can get outvoted by the many that can't.

I also reckon a bunch of those journeymen guys like screwing over the diva superstars by letting clauses like this get through.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
When the Cardinals signed J.J., Chandler lost some leverage IMO. At this point I don't see anyone taking on a $15.5 million salary AND giving up anything of value.

He's a Cardinal in 2021 and depending on how well he plays, he gets a new contract, gets franchise tagged, or leaves as a free agent. ~Captain Obvious

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I remember big extensions for him, Campbell, Dockett, dwash, Matthieu after two ACL...
About offensive guys i didnt see the organization being very active and generous extending them beside Larry Fitzgerald and Dj Humphries in several years

David Johnson too -- but your reply is spot on. I think there's traditionally been more ego on the defensive side of the ball and players not feeling like they are being shown their worth (despite them not getting as much as the Cards were offering on the open market - hence proving the team right). This excludes Campbell.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
PP can pound sand. He talks about the Cards not extending him, then signs a 1 year deal. Seems like the market agrees with the Cards.

It doesn't absolve the FO for letting a guy like Campbell go, but PP isn't half the player Calais was when he left.

FB94

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
PP can pound sand. He talks about the Cards not extending him, then signs a 1 year deal. Seems like the market agrees with the Cards.

It doesn't absolve the FO for letting a guy like Campbell go, but PP isn't half the player Calais was when he left.
Wish he would focus on his new team and stop with the selective memory

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
David Johnson too -- but your reply is spot on. I think there's traditionally been more ego on the defensive side of the ball and players not feeling like they are being shown their worth (despite them not getting as much as the Cards were offering on the open market - hence proving the team right). This excludes Campbell.

they did Dansby dirty multiple times. Once right in the beginning of his prime and then even after he came back years later on a one year prove it deal where he was a beast again... and we didn’t offer another contract despite knowing that Washington had drug problems and couldn’t be counted on.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
they did Dansby dirty multiple times. Once right in the beginning of his prime and then even after he came back years later on a one year prove it deal where he was a beast again... and we didn’t offer another contract despite knowing that Washington had drug problems and couldn’t be counted on.
Los was underrated

i know that Graves thought he had Dansby extended once, and IIRC, Los fired his agent -- - but you are still right

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score

had we resigned Reddick, signed Watt and made this trade, I would have been all for this. Still could have signed Butler. Would have kept our good pass rush together from last year while adding Watt and Rhodes and Butler. That would have been a bang up off-season for this defense.