Chandler Jones requested a trade

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don’t think you have to support one side to roll your eyes at the other. This is a case of rich people arguing with each other over money. Both sides here have enough to never really work another day in their lives. So as far as I’m concerned I’ll just be pissed at both if it impacts the season. Personally I don’t care what each makes outside the fact that it’s grossly disproportionate to their respective value to society.

FWIW, I side with the players because even given the enormity of the compensation they they're getting, it's STILL likely less than they would be able to get in a truly open market because of the anti-competitive factors built into the NFL (like the salary cap and rookie payscales and such). In a functional market, labor would get paid based on the rarity and desirability of the skill set provided. I think it's fair to say that Chandler's skill set is rare and desirable.

I don't know what NFL owners offer that justifies their compensation.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you know what bothers me about the Cardinals in the situation with Chandler Jones? It’s the same thing that bothered me with Patrick Peterson. If they have a player who expresses unhappiness with the team —especially before his contract expires— why don’t they quietly make a trade and get impact players and high picks instead of holding off and doing nothing? Now—like with PP—the team is in a situation where either the whole league knows what’s happening and they get a crappier deal in a trade or let the player play out contract and walk for nothing. Typical Keim move.

And like P2 I think he'd get less money than he thinks elsewhere.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All this talk of 1 sack in 5 games to feel better about getting rid of CJ. JJ Watt had 1 sack in last 8 games of season lol

Its not just the sack. He was trash in all aspects. He was on track for 3 sacks, 3 TFL's and 21 QB hits. Against Geron Christian, Taylor Decker, Greg Little/Trenton Scott and Mekhi Becton.

The only top LT he faced was Trent Williams and his only sack was against the Niners but if I remember right Jones didn't beat Williams. Jimmy G held the ball for about a week, got trapped in a melee and Jones mopped up.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
FWIW, I side with the players because even given the enormity of the compensation they they're getting, it's STILL likely less than they would be able to get in a truly open market because of the anti-competitive factors built into the NFL (like the salary cap and rookie payscales and such).
yes to this

but, the anti-competitive factors are the result of an agreement between the NFL and the players union.

i think in a free NFL labor market, Chandler Jones would get paid wayyyy more and the 53rd man on the roster would get paid like an Arena league player

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
yes to this

but, the anti-competitive factors are the result of an agreement between the NFL and the players union.

i think in a free NFL labor market, Chandler Jones would get paid wayyyy more and the 53rd man on the roster would get paid like an Arena league player
Yes, but the inbalance of that agreement has to do with a ton of externalities including the breathtakingly short careers of NFL players (which prevents them from giving up even a single season of income opportunity for long-term gain that would be enjoyed by future generations of players).

I think that the NFLPA could tip the scales back pretty easily if they just told the NFL to eat it for a year. Some of these teams are paid off and generation, but a lot of them are leveraged to the gills and can't afford to miss a season. But there is probably a third of the league that would never earn back what they lost -- maybe more.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
A couple notes.

1 - Not shocking and a negotiating tactic.

2 - Cardinals hold the leverage as they franchise him if needed next year.

3 - If the right player is available, they will not be afraid to move him.

4 - 31 is not the drop off age it used to be. Calais left at age 30 and had over 30 sacks in the 4 years since.

My crystal ball. Chandler reports for camp, starts out the season well, and gets a mid-season extension.
Best case scenario for all.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
FWIW, I side with the players because even given the enormity of the compensation they they're getting, it's STILL likely less than they would be able to get in a truly open market because of the anti-competitive factors built into the NFL (like the salary cap and rookie payscales and such). In a functional market, labor would get paid based on the rarity and desirability of the skill set provided. I think it's fair to say that Chandler's skill set is rare and desirable.

As with all things owner - their wealth. No different than private owners of any enormous enterprise. Their wealth makes the entire enterprise possible.

and if you don’t think chandler gets paid appropriately for his rare and desirable skill set compared to other pass rushers or joe schmoes on the street I don’t how to convince you that he does. Because he does. Within the confines of the union-bargained CBA.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes, but the inbalance of that agreement has to do with a ton of externalities including the breathtakingly short careers of NFL players (which prevents them from giving up even a single season of income opportunity for long-term gain that would be enjoyed by future generations of players).

I think that the NFLPA could tip the scales back pretty easily if they just told the NFL to eat it for a year. Some of these teams are paid off and generation, but a lot of them are leveraged to the gills and can't afford to miss a season. But there is probably a third of the league that would never earn back what they lost -- maybe more.
Nature of their industry.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I always view the salary cap as a way for the league to ensure competitive balance across the league. Jerry Jones would win every title ever if money were no object kind of deal. Its interesting to think of it as a tool used to keep player salaries down though I agree that it has that effect. A truly free market always only benefits a few. I think I prefer the league regulations to letting everyone go all stupid and ***** (edit: W i l l y is a bad word???) nilly with their spending. That said, yes, I will way more often than not side with players.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the breathtakingly short careers of NFL players
thats it

i am curious what a even-freer-than-baseball NFL player market would look like: no draft, just negotiated contracts.

probably like the English Premier League

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pretty impossible to hold out any more. New CBA fines 50k a day.

Why would they sign something like that? And no guarantee money? At least get guarantee your money if you are going to give up one of you best negotiation tactics.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nature of their industry.

Exactly. It's not like the players don't have a say on framework they operate in. That's what the CBA is for and that's how unions work.

I could care less if Chandler Jones gets $18m or $15m per year. If you want to be concerned about player salaries it's not the mega rich superstars anyone should be concerned about. It's the players who make up the majority of the league on vet min or thereabouts.

In my opinion 8 times out of 10 the player vastly overestimates their value, causes a stir, hit's FA then ends up taking less than he was offered originally by their current team. See P2, Lev Bell et all. And 8 times out of 10 the teams that cave in and end up paying up were right all along and live to regret it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would they sign something like that? And no guarantee money? At least get guarantee your money if you are going to give up one of you best negotiation tactics.

Because unions cover everyone in the union and most NFL players aren't superstars on $15m+ a year. Most of them can't afford to ever hold out as they don't have the status to carry it off. The few that can get outvoted by the many that can't.

I also reckon a bunch of those journeymen guys like screwing over the diva superstars by letting clauses like this get through.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
When the Cardinals signed J.J., Chandler lost some leverage IMO. At this point I don't see anyone taking on a $15.5 million salary AND giving up anything of value.

He's a Cardinal in 2021 and depending on how well he plays, he gets a new contract, gets franchise tagged, or leaves as a free agent. ~Captain Obvious

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I remember big extensions for him, Campbell, Dockett, dwash, Matthieu after two ACL...
About offensive guys i didnt see the organization being very active and generous extending them beside Larry Fitzgerald and Dj Humphries in several years

David Johnson too -- but your reply is spot on. I think there's traditionally been more ego on the defensive side of the ball and players not feeling like they are being shown their worth (despite them not getting as much as the Cards were offering on the open market - hence proving the team right). This excludes Campbell.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
PP can pound sand. He talks about the Cards not extending him, then signs a 1 year deal. Seems like the market agrees with the Cards.

It doesn't absolve the FO for letting a guy like Campbell go, but PP isn't half the player Calais was when he left.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
PP can pound sand. He talks about the Cards not extending him, then signs a 1 year deal. Seems like the market agrees with the Cards.

It doesn't absolve the FO for letting a guy like Campbell go, but PP isn't half the player Calais was when he left.
Wish he would focus on his new team and stop with the selective memory

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose