Chandler Jones requested a trade

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wonder what team is going to pay draft capital for a trade and a long term big $$$ contract for a 31 year old coming off of a major injury.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I just wonder what team is going to pay draft capital for a trade and a long term big $$$ contract for a 31 year old coming off of a major injury.
It seems disingenuous to say he’s coming off a “major injury” for a biceps tear. It was a season-ending injury, but it wasn’t a knee or back or hernia.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes better to side with the owners who largely inherited their teams and operate at zero risk because they’re part of an anti-competitive cartel.
Players know this going in. It’s not a secret. I’m not siding with the owners. I want players getting as much as they can. Much like I would love to see Amazon workers making $30 an hour instead of Bezos being worth 226 billion. I have a problem when succesful players have made upwards of 70 million dollars and 15 mil sitting on the table being unhappy. I want CJ on this team. But I don’t have to like ultra rich people crying about being unhappy with a salary of 15 mil plus incentives.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems disingenuous to say he’s coming off a “major injury” for a biceps tear. It was a season-ending injury, but it wasn’t a knee or back or hernia.
I think the bigger issue is the overall feeling that he was playing rather subpar on the field before being injured.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes better to side with the owners who largely inherited their teams and operate at zero risk because they’re part of an anti-competitive cartel.

Does that come into it? Every player has a value and every team has to manage it vs the cap. I don't think it's a case of siding with the rich owner vs the rich player. At the end of the day both have more money than they will ever need.

CJ was poor last year before his injury, he's 31 and he's coming off an injury that while it shouldn't slow him down does carry some risk of happening again. If CJ is asking for $20m+ I think he's deluded.

What's the most money a 31yo+ pass rusher as ever signed for? I'm just looking and I think JJ Watt might be it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wonder what team is going to pay draft capital for a trade and a long term big $$$ contract for a 31 year old coming off of a bicep injury that cost him pretty much the entire season.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What could they trade Chandler for? I’d be shocked if they’d get a 2nd since the new team would also have to cut him a huge slice of the pie. If he has a contract year (which he is fully capable of doing) and bounces in FA, we will have an opportunity for a 3rd rd compensatory. I don’t like the cardinals history of not retaining/extending talent, but they have to make good business decisions at this point. We will be working a new contract for Kyler that is going to break the bank sooner than later. If CJ was 27 or 28, it would make all the sense in the world to extend him, but at 31 coming off a significant injury, it’s a move that could set the team back 2-3 years.

with all that said, I can see CJ playing until he is 35/36.
I hope he can play until he's 35/36, but other than wishful thinking, I have no idea how long he'll play. Are you basing your opinion on something other than wishful thinking?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great! I thought we got rid of one diva and now we have two in the making.

I don't think Chandler Jones is a Diva. Holding out/Requesting Trades is one of the few tools that players have when it comes to contract negotiations.

I've been away for a while. Who is the other diva that you are referring too?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Do you know what bothers me about the Cardinals in the situation with Chandler Jones? It’s the same thing that bothered me with Patrick Peterson. If they have a player who expresses unhappiness with the team —especially before his contract expires— why don’t they quietly make a trade and get impact players and high picks instead of holding off and doing nothing? Now—like with PP—the team is in a situation where either the whole league knows what’s happening and they get a crappier deal in a trade or let the player play out contract and walk for nothing. Typical Keim move.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I don't think Chandler Jones is a Diva. Holding out/Requesting Trades is one of the few tools that players have when it comes to contract negotiations.

I've been away for a while. Who is the other diva that you are referring too?
All that whining should be done privately between him, his agent, and the Cards org not in the media. The other one is Hop for threatening to retire for mandatory vaccinations. IMO this is just a preview of upcoming headaches for the team going forward.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A couple notes.

1 - Not shocking and a negotiating tactic.

2 - Cardinals hold the leverage as they franchise him if needed next year.

3 - If the right player is available, they will not be afraid to move him.

4 - 31 is not the drop off age it used to be. Calais left at age 30 and had over 30 sacks in the 4 years since.

My crystal ball. Chandler reports for camp, starts out the season well, and gets a mid-season extension.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
My guess is he'll need to show more than 1 sack in 5 games to get that extension. It wasn't just the 1 sack as well, he wasn't generating consistent pressure in the limited sample of 2020.

He absolutely should take advantage of his leverage, but the Cards should absolutely make sure he's playing at a pro bowl level if they're going to pay him for it.

If this was all known pre draft, it really begs the question why not make a trade for a Xavien Howard, and retain Reddick?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is part of the answer.

The Cardinals shouldn't be looking about giving long term guaranteed money for a 31 year old player coming off an injury.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All this talk of 1 sack in 5 games to feel better about getting rid of CJ. JJ Watt had 1 sack in last 8 games of season lol

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
See how the first half of the year goes, then decide to trade or give him short term deal, two year max.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will know a few games in if he has anything left in the tank. If he does, extend him.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I hope he can play until he's 35/36, but other than wishful thinking, I have no idea how long he'll play. Are you basing your opinion on something other than wishful thinking?
I am basing it on his style of play and relatively healthy career up to last year.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The report also said he requested a trade in the off season. For all we know that occurred months ago and not the current situation or his disposition :)

It's very probable his agent leaked it yesterday. It wouldn't have been leaked if the situation was nearing resolution.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t think you have to support one side to roll your eyes at the other. This is a case of rich people arguing with each other over money. Both sides here have enough to never really work another day in their lives. So as far as I’m concerned I’ll just be pissed at both if it impacts the season. Personally I don’t care what each makes outside the fact that it’s grossly disproportionate to their respective value to society.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Do you know what bothers me about the Cardinals in the situation with Chandler Jones? It’s the same thing that bothered me with Patrick Peterson. If they have a player who expresses unhappiness with the team —especially before his contract expires— why don’t they quietly make a trade and get impact players and high picks instead of holding off and doing nothing? Now—like with PP—the team is in a situation where either the whole league knows what’s happening and they get a crappier deal in a trade or let the player play out contract and walk for nothing. Typical Keim move.
This situation happens with pretty much EVERY team in the NFL.

I'll dump on Keim when we have actual information to dump on him.