CBS Projecting Murray Trade

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This is not the first time there have been articles about Murray going to the Vikings. This rumor has been swirling around for months now. I think K9 is right about the draft comp. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing this trade happen.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of silly in this mock. Daniels at #3 to the Commanders. I guess it would make sense since he is Dwayne Haskins 2.0. All the talent in the world, but a total head case. Then MHJ to the Patriots? If the Bears are only getting a 6th rounder for Fields, why wouldn't the Patriots be in on that is they are going WR at #3? Then we are taking the 5th best WR at #16? These Mocks are click bait.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Bears are only getting a 6th rounder for Fields,
"Bears get: No. 74 overall (third-round pick), and a conditional 2025 third-round pick that becomes a second-round pick if Fields plays 75% of the 2024 snaps". It's the Raiders who get Fields and a 6th.

But given their contracts and recent performance, it seems more likely to me that the Cardinals would get less for Murray than the Bears would get for Fields. A 2nd, 5th, and 4th that can become a 3rd (with a 6th going back) seems like a huge overpay for the Vikings. :shrug:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Bears get: No. 74 overall (third-round pick), and a conditional 2025 third-round pick that becomes a second-round pick if Fields plays 75% of the 2024 snaps". It's the Raiders who get Fields and a 6th.
I misread. Whoops. Still don't see it. I think they sign Wilson instead.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how we're better moving on from Kyler and getting that draft compensation.
You said it right there... the theory, with which half of the board will disagree, is that the Cards can't be successful until they move on from Murray. If Ossenfort agrees, I think it would be a coup for him to get that much draft compensation for him. The opportunity is perfect to move on with as little pain as possible and start over with a new QBOF candidate.

FWIW, there's still a part of me that thinks the right path is to take MHJ (if available) and stick with Murray for one more year... and I certainly HOPE that given a better supporting cast and a full offseason in the new system, Murray fulfills the promise he showed up until the middle of 2021... but that vision is starting to feel ever more like a pipe dream. Pretty sure whatever the Cardinals do will be the wrong decision but I can certainly see both sides on this one.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said it right there... the theory, with which half of the board will disagree, is that the Cards can't be successful until they move on from Murray. If Ossenfort agrees, I think it would be a coup for him to get that much draft compensation for him. The opportunity is perfect to move on with as little pain as possible and start over with a new QBOF candidate.

FWIW, there's still a part of me that thinks the right path is to take MHJ (if available) and stick with Murray for one more year... and I certainly HOPE that given a better supporting cast and a full offseason in the new system, Murray fulfills the promise he showed up until the middle of 2021... but that vision is starting to feel ever more like a pipe dream. Pretty sure whatever the Cardinals do will be the wrong decision but I can certainly see both sides on this one.
lol... and same.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was hoping Kyler would step in this year and show signs of bouncing back and even elevate the offense a little, regardless of talent level. Good QBs do that after all.

I agree the right move, if everything falls that way, would be to take Harrison and hope Kyler can somehow take a step. I have my doubts but this is the best possible outcome. Trading Kyler…well I guess that likely guarantees another couple years in, not purgatory, but outright hell. Sadly keeping Kyler could mean 3+ years in hell if he doesn’t snap out of it

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I guess it depends on what the definition of "successful" is for people. I think Kyler Murray -- even this version -- can win 9 games a season and sometimes 12 games in a season. Right now, in this form, Kyler Murray is a league-average quarterback. I check the DVOA write-ups on him each week and he lands somewhere in the middle third of the league.

I don't think that Murray can be the best quarterback in the NFL. But you don't need to be to keep a starting job -- or even to justify his salary cap number over the next few years. He has to be Kirk Cousins. That won't thrill me, but I think it will satisfy his coach, whose mentor Mike Zimmer had a difficult detante with Cousins for years.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was hoping Kyler would step in this year and show signs of bouncing back and even elevate the offense a little, regardless of talent level. Good QBs do that after all.

I agree the right move, if everything falls that way, would be to take Harrison and hope Kyler can somehow take a step. I have my doubts but this is the best possible outcome. Trading Kyler…well I guess that likely guarantees another couple years in, not purgatory, but outright hell. Sadly keeping Kyler could mean 3+ years in hell if he doesn’t snap out of it
I think at this point, the Cardinals pretty much have to. The cap hit for trading or releasing does get better with time. What sucks is looking at the cap hits for years if the Cardinals did trade Murray. The Cardinals would nearly lose the advantage of having a rookie QB contract because they would still have dead cap from Murray.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

But given their contracts and recent performance, it seems more likely to me that the Cardinals would get less for Murray than the Bears would get for Fields. A 2nd, 5th, and 4th that can become a 3rd (with a 6th going back) seems like a huge overpay for the Vikings. :shrug:
Disagree. Kyler has shown flashes. There’s something there, even if it’s forever buried. He was a legit mvp candidate midway through a season and he did take a team to the playoffs. Fields doesn’t have anything like that on his resume.

And teams give up overpays for QB pretty regularly. What did we give up for the Philly kid back in the day? A second and the comic book cornerback?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I just question our collective sanity if we truly believe (verses hope) that any quarterback that we’re “sticking with for one more year” is a long term answer. Has any franchise that thinks that way about their quarterback ever been proven right in doing so?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I just question our collective sanity if we truly believe (verses hope) that any quarterback that we’re “sticking with for one more year” is a long term answer. Has any franchise that thinks that way about their quarterback ever been proven right in doing so?
This is why I think the best option is just focus on the supporting cast and waiting.