Cats ranked #24!!!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It's nice to be ranked and recognized by the AP, but I don't like being ranked this early. Oftentimes, it gets into players' heads.

Hope they don't look ahead to Oregon in two weeks. Take care of business against SC State

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
We're definitely not a top 25 team. Still hoping for a Mike Leach type 7-5 season where we give up 35 but score 40 more often than not. The depth just isn't there on defense unfortunately, we can thank Stoops for that.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
We're definitely not a top 25 team. Still hoping for a Mike Leach type 7-5 season where we give up 35 but score 40 more often than not. The depth just isn't there on defense unfortunately, we can thank Stoops for that.

At the same time it's amazing how much talent Stoops accumulated on the offensive side of the ball.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope they don't look ahead to Oregon in two weeks. Take care of business against SC State

Does 56-0 sound like taking care of business?

That game last night was like shooting fish in a barrel. AZ scored almost every time they had the ball. SC ST had 10 punts, AZ had 1.

The team looks really good. I have no idea how good, OR will be the measuring stick.

TJ

Reaction score
Does 56-0 sound like taking care of business?

That game last night was like shooting fish in a barrel. AZ scored almost every time they had the ball. SC ST had 10 punts, AZ had 1.

The team looks really good. I have no idea how good, OR will be the measuring stick.

We whipped their asses last night. SC State crossed midfield once the whole game. Rich Rod has this team's attention, and while I don't think we will beat Oregon in Eugene, we will put up a fight. it will be a very high scoring affair.

I agree that UO will be a great litmus test. Even if we lose by one possession, it should still be considered a small victory. If we somehow pull it off next Saturday, the sky is the limit for this team IMO the rest of the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice win last night but the Oregon game is going to be tough to win. Cats are 26.5 point underdogs.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
At the same time it's amazing how much talent Stoops accumulated on the offensive side of the ball.

Agreed, Stoops definitely passes the "are you better off now?" test when it comes to his time at Arizona. But the recruiting did fall off at the end big time (the most notable being the botched recruitment of Brett Hundley) and that is seen on defense. No ill feelings towards Stoops from me, I think even he'd agree it was best for everyone to move on. My guess is he's much happier being a DC at Oklahoma than running the whole show in Tucson and both parties left in better standing than they did when they entered into the partnership.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever Arizona's weaknesses are, I think Matt Scott might be the best QB in the conference this year in an offense that supercharges all of his strengths and minimizes any weaknesses. That's got to be good for 7 wins right there. Maybe 8 or 9.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Looking at the schedule assuming Scott stays healthy it looks like 7-5. Lose Saturday and split the rest is what I would guess.

TJ

Reaction score
Whatever Arizona's weaknesses are, I think Matt Scott might be the best QB in the conference this year in an offense that supercharges all of his strengths and minimizes any weaknesses. That's got to be good for 7 wins right there. Maybe 8 or 9.

Scott doesn't have very many weaknesses now that he's playing in the same offense he played in at Corona-Centennial. Cats fans knew before the season he had a special combination of speed and accuracy. RichRod fell into an excellent situation with a QB tailor-made for his zone read option and athletes all over the place. The trouble is the cupboards are dry on the defensive side of the ball.

8-9 wins is a huge stretch. Our defense is still suspect, especially against the run. I contend that if OK State elected to run more than pass, we would have lost that game.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Scott doesn't have very many weaknesses now that he's playing in the same offense he played in at Corona-Centennial. Cats fans knew before the season he had a special combination of speed and accuracy. RichRod fell into an excellent situation with a QB tailor-made for his zone read option and athletes all over the place. The trouble is the cupboards are dry on the defensive side of the ball.

8-9 wins is a huge stretch. Our defense is still suspect, especially against the run. I contend that if OK State elected to run more than pass, we would have lost that game.
I don't have any inside info or anything but my guess is Rodriguez doesn't even take the job unless Scott was waiting or he had a vet QB lined up to transfer. He had to have learned his lesson from UM on that one when he had Threet and Danny Sheridan taking snaps then Denard and Forcier as true frosh the next year.

Agreed on your second point. The offense has some weapons but I'm not going to work myself into a tizzy over some early season wins against vulnerable opponents like many of our friends in Tempe.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
I'm already in a tizzy and I think UA will only be mediocre the rest of the way. Why be a sports fan without overly-reactionary tizzies?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Casteel not being at Michigan but at Arizona is big for Rich Rod.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard