Catcher Controversy

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
The Arizona Diamondbacks now have a Catcher Controversy. Who will catch for them?

Our Options

-Rod Barajas:(
-Robby Hammock:D
-Brett Mayne:(
-(Maybe)Greg Colbrunn (He has caught, but most likely cannot anymore)

I like Hammock as the starting catcher, but will BB do this? I think he will be dumb and try to use all three and screw them up. I hope he does not. What do you think about it?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Colbrunn's knees are shot, he can't catch. Mayne will play against leftys and share the dutys with barajas and I guess Hammock will be a utility player. Or possibly Barajas goes down tot he minors and we have a platoon of Hammock and Mayne.

I don't see a controversy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phill11

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
Colbrunn's knees are shot, he can't catch. Mayne will play against Leftys and share the dutys with barajas and I guess Hammock will be a utility player.

I don't see a controversy

But, do you really want Mayne and Barajas Catching? I want Hammock. And I know Colbrunn Cannot catch anymore, just wanted to throw him in mix.

Indrid Cold

Reaction score
So none of you believe the Repulsive, or did you not read the article about Mayne's signing?

"Mayne, 35, will share time with Robby Hammock while Barajas, who is eligible for salary arbitration, faces the prospect of receiving a measly offer or not being tendered a contract by Saturday night and becoming a free agent."

And on the DBacks official site in an article written by their own Steve Gilbert:

"Mayne, who hit .245 with six home runs and 36 RBIs in 113 games for the Royals last season, will serve as a backup to Robby Hammock. "

Last edited:

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Indrid Cold
"Mayne, 35, will share time with Robby Hammock while Barajas, who is eligible for salary arbitration, faces the prospect of receiving a measly offer or not being tendered a contract by Saturday night and becoming a free agent."
End of "controversy" in black and white. This is one time that you can believe the Arizona Republic. The D'backs will head to Spring Training with two catchers slated for the club, and neither will be Rod Barajas.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Well, I agree with you, mgj, Barajas is gone one way or another, they've made that pretty clear. But hey - I believed Patterson was definitely the number 3 starter, Mantei would regain his closer role, Lyle would be first baseman of the future... :D take whatever they say with a morning-after pill, because ... as my brother once said, "That didn't come out the way it sounded."

OP
OP
Phill11

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
So none of you believe the Repulsive, or did you not read the article about Mayne's signing?

And on the DBacks official site in an article written by their own Steve Gilbert:

"Mayne, who hit .245 with six home runs and 36 RBIs in 113 games for the Royals last season, will serve as a backup to Robby Hammock. "

If Im not mistaken I posted this after AZ Republic or anybody said anything. I posted RIGHT after we signed Mayne. I am so glad Hammock Is our Catcher > Mayne And Barajas. Great news that Barajas is about gone, Im gunna go dance even though I have nemonia(sp?).:thumbup:

Indrid Cold

Reaction score
Bummer about your pneumonia. I spent 3 days in the hospital in October with the same thing so I know what a drag that can be. Get well and keep taking those antibiotics through the entire regimen.

Not that it matters, but your post was only about 1 hour before mine. The articles on the DBacks official site and the Republic were there to be seen. I was just curious if you'd read it, and was suprised that you hadn't.

But I wouldn't take those articles as the gospel anyway. Brenly and company have a habit of changing their minds.

OP
OP
Phill11

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Bummer about your pneumonia. I spent 3 days in the hospital in October with the same thing so I know what a drag that can be. Get well and keep taking those antibiotics through the entire regimen.

Not that it matters, but your post was only about 1 hour before mine. The articles on the DBacks official site and the Republic were there to be seen. I was just curious if you'd read it, and was suprised that you hadn't.

But I wouldn't take those articles as the gospel anyway. Brenly and company have a habit of changing their minds.

I almost guarantee they will go bak and forth between Hammock and Mayne. Which is a bad move. Just name Hammock and stick with it (They've named him now just stick with it). I just hope Hammock gets ALOT of playing time. I can see him hitting .290 20 homers with 90 RBI's.

Yeah, I'm taking those antibiotics. We just hope I don't have to go to the hospital.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
Mayne will play against leftys
Actually Mayne is a LH batter, so we won't see him starting against lefties.