Carson Palmer and the ring of honor.

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Ronin, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

The players we have seen the most at UOP in recent years have been Kwamie Lassiter (RIP), Frank Sanders, and Larry Centers. Always great to see them walking the concourse, posing for pictures, and signing autographs. All great guys. Nice to see players stick around a franchise/community/fanbase they played for and host charity events, etc.

Chris_Sanders likes this.
  2. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

I'll take "When the franchise is so bad you have to induct players who's success stretches to basically 1 really good season go into the Ring of Honor" for $500 Alex.

Seriously, he spent 5 seasons here, 2 of which he was injured for much of it, does this warrant an induction into the Ring of Honor? Especially when there are players like Mel Gray, Terry Metcalf, Jackie Smith(Hall of Famer), Conrad Dobler, Jake Plummer, Otis Anderson, among others who, IMO, are more deserving. Don't get me wrong, Palmer played well here but ring of honor worthy? I don't think so.

phillycard and DwMi like this.
  3. TJ

TJ Suge White

In a vacuum, Boldin, and someone like Simeon Rice for that matter, are more deserving than Palmer. But if you take into account their conduct and unceremonious departures, that kind of removes them from consideration.

Perhaps extending a laurel to Boldin by way of offering a RoH selection would go a long way in rebuilding the relationship and energizing the fan base, but as far as I know, it's beyond repair at this point.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  4. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

What many here seem to be missing is that this is not a Hall of Fame type induction. It's the Ring of HONOR. It supposedly takes into account not only what he's done on the field, which is quite impressive: Single Season Passing Yards leader, Most TD's in a Single Season, Highest Career Passer Rating, Highest Passer Rating in a Single Season, Most Passing Yards per game for a season and a career, Only Cards QB to have back-to-back 4,000 yard seasons, Most 4,000 yard seasons as a Cardinal, Most 400 yard passing games, Most 300 yard games in a season, Most 300 yard games for a career... along with a few more franchise records...

But this recognition also takes into account the character of the person, the type of leader and toughness, the way he carried himself and represented the team off the field.

Taking all of the above into account, I can see how Palmer is a solid selection for the Ring of Honor. That said, I can also see Dansby being a strong consideration... Definitely not Dockett, though I loved him as a Cardinal. And I really hope the team and Anquan find a way to mend whatever sits between them as I would love to see Boldin be honored as well!

5. TJ

TJ Suge White

Under no circumstance should Jake Plummer be in over Carson Palmer.

82CardsGrad likes this.
  6. ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals Registered

5 years and you're in....that's ridiculous

was he good, yea. Great at times, but 5 years is not enough in my opinion.

just shows the Cardinals have had very few good players

Is Levi Brown in next? Nkemdichi is now wondering if he'll make it...and you gotta say 'he's got a shot' LOL

Calais Campbell would have to be added now
    Patrick Peterson is a sure thing
    Fitz - yes
    Chandler Jones too

Justin Bethal on line 1

7. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

The only area I would differ is his popularity. Some, like me, will never forget him walking off the field with his panties in a bunch instead of celebrating with his team which had just earned a trip to the Super Bowl. That didn't sit too well with me.

Bobster and Brian in Mesa like this.
  8. Brian in Mesa

Same here.

9. TJ

TJ Suge White

I'm not 176 years old like you, so I can't attest to to some of the guys you mentioned from the St. Louis/Chicago years, though I will say there is probably some sort of statute of limitations involved w/r/t RoH inductions. Like, no one is going to rearrange their schedule to see Freddie Joe Nunn get inducted.

Maybe there needs to be a clear-cut criteria for how one is qualified entry into the RoH. UofA basketball has a concrete list of prerequisites before one is considered for its RoH. Carson Palmer just seems like a marketing ploy and someone who's fresh enough in our minds that it gets our attention and makes us talk about it more.

10. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

People forget that Plummer took a team far less talented than what Palmer had to the playoffs...and won on the road. It wasn't Plummer's fault that they decided to break that team up instead of building on it. They literally did nothing to build Plummer a decent team around him and when they did, the year after that magical season they got rid of anyone who was any good.

BigRedArk and Brian in Mesa like this.
  11. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

Boldin should ask the Ravens if they have a spot available. Always a Raven after all

azsouthendzone and Brian in Mesa like this.
  12. TJ

TJ Suge White

Fans remember. But the reality of it all is that he wasn't a very good quarterback and arguably the least intelligent player I've ever seen play the position. I'm not saying that Carson Palmer should be in the RoH, but Palmer is unquestionably the better player.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  13. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

Up until 2014 inductions, every player in the Cardinals ROH was a hall of famer(with the exception of Tillman). The fact that Jackie Smith isn't in the ROH is a travesty.

14. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

Maybe Plummer is a stretch but the other players I mentioned aren't.

15. Brian in Mesa

People forget how bad the Cardinals were for most of their history.

Here's one example: Who was the all-time receptions leader before Anquan and Fitz came along?

Larry Centers.

He is still 3rd all-time.

Krangthebrain and Chris_Sanders like this.