Cards vs Pats QB Situation Contrast

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So the Pats essentially are dealing with a similar fate we were in 2014 in terms of needing to go to your 3rd string qb. So it is a good exercise in "what is possible" for those who seem to think if you lose your starter the season is over.

Brady is not available and JG steps in looking nothing like our number two. In fact he looks like he could very well play good enough to allow his team to make the post season If he had to play all 16 games.

Then JG gets hurt so with our frame of reference one would expect a Lindley caliber qb to get the start and basically bury the Pats with terrible play. Nope, JB steps in and looks like a competent game manager who can let the talent surrounding him still win games by not hurting the team. Sure it is one game against the Texans but I would love to see this level of play from Stanton for a while game let alone any 3rd stringer we've seen under center for us before.

My point is for as genius as BASK can be they have nothing on the Pats and ole Billy Boy when it comes to being prepared to win ball games without their number 1 qb. Brady could retire tomorrow and based on the limited sample size they would still be keeping their playoff and SB hopes alive this season.

I'm looking forward to when the cards start making serious strides at having someone who can not just fill in for CP but can take reigns when he no longer our qb. It would be a shame for our season to be over if CP got hurt when we have such a good team, and especially when it has been proven it doesn't have to be that way.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
It's all Belichick. He has a way of making average players look elite. If Brady retired, Garoppolo would be a star in New England. If Brady stays a few more years, and JG gets shuffled to another team, he will be a serviceable QB that loses his touch over time. See Matt Cassel.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Palmer went down in 2014, Stanton and Lindley got us to the playoffs. Even with Lindley playing horribly, we still had a shot to beat Carolina in the playoffs.

So...I'm not too worried.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bill Belichick is easily the greatest coach in modern times and perhaps the greatest football coach ever. Comparing him to any other active coach, including BA, is ridiculous.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bellichek could probably make Stanton and Lindley look better than what Arians has made Palmer look like. I'm not even exaggerating, Bellichek is that good.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pats are a well coached team and are able to prepare their team and players to play at a high level. They exploit the weaknesses in teams and take advantage of it.

I don't like the Pats, but I respect what they are able to do.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Pats are a well coached team and are able to prepare their team and players to play at a high level. They exploit the weaknesses in teams and take advantage of it.

I don't like the Pats, but I respect what they are able to do.

It's insane how well BB and his staff can dissect a team and prepare a game plan both offensively and defensively for an opponent. It's almost like they have hidden cameras and microphones in every other teams' locker room, coaches offices, and even in their janitor closets.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bellicheck is a very big reason why they succeed. They are just so well coached and disciplined. They rarely made stupid mistakes. However, there is a big difference between our situation in 2014 and what the Pats are dealing with. The Pats knew all offseason that they would be without Brady for 4 games, so they have been able to prepare for that for months. They just needed to ride the wave for 4 games until Brady returned. I'm not even sure they expected to be 4-0 after those four games (which is a very real possibility). For us in 2014, it happened unexpectedly, so we had to scramble for solutions (especially when Stanton also went down).

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Palmer went down in 2014, Stanton and Lindley got us to the playoffs. Even with Lindley playing horribly, we still had a shot to beat Carolina in the playoffs.

So...I'm not too worried.
What? Stanton didn't cost us games, though he wasn't good. Lindley didn't help with anything but making us the laughingstock of the playoffs. He was the definition of horrific and iirc we lost every game he's ever started in his career.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love BA and we are lucky to have him but Belicheck has proven himself to be the undisputed best head coach in football.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What? Stanton didn't cost us games, though he wasn't good. Lindley didn't help with anything but making us the laughingstock of the playoffs. He was the definition of horrific and iirc we lost every game he's ever started in his career.

This. It's not that BB would make Lindley look like a good QB (he had him in camp and cut him), but the way Belichick and the Pats are able to modify and adjust their gameplans to fit their personnel is what is truly impressive. I love BA, but he'd still ask a mediocre QB to throw long and not change much from a gameplan with Palmer as the starter. Belichick takes away what you do best on offense and defense, and forces the other team to adjust. It's pretty incredible that they're gonna go 4-0 without their All-World QB.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
It's the system; Patriots offense is very simple, while BASK is very complex. Did Matt Cassell do well after the left the Patriots?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think the Patriots have a "system". I think they just keep whatever QB is in within their abilities. Brissett ran a very controlled and low risk offense. Their defense and SPECIAL TEAMS (you watching that BA?) won that last game. Brissett is now probably done with a ligament torn in his thumb but JG will more than likely be ready for next game. If not, they will probably sign someone floating out there and go 4-0 without Brady. Best coached team in football IMO.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bellichek could probably make Stanton and Lindley look better than what Arians has made Palmer look like. I'm not even exaggerating, Bellichek is that good.
Wasn't Lindley with the Pats for a short time last year?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Belichick is the best coach in the history of the NFL, and no one else is even close. Not even the great Vince Lombardi compares.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This. It's not that BB would make Lindley look like a good QB (he had him in camp and cut him), but the way Belichick and the Pats are able to modify and adjust their gameplans to fit their personnel is what is truly impressive. I love BA, but he'd still ask a mediocre QB to throw long and not change much from a gameplan with Palmer as the starter. Belichick takes away what you do best on offense and defense, and forces the other team to adjust. It's pretty incredible that they're gonna go 4-0 without their All-World QB.

That's exactly why I don't understand more coaches doing this. Play to the new QBs abilities and I'm sure any team would play well.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lot to comment about hear.

First, it is unfair to compare any other coach to BB. The guy is a cut above.
Second, the Pats played a perfect, flawless game Thursday. Perhaps if you take the 2 kickoff fumbles away from the Texans and apply them to the Patriots I believe it would have had some effect on how that game went.
Third, that is the beauty of having a long regime in place. Compare that with a team like the Browns or the Bears who have changed head coaches, coordinators etc. numerous times over the last 6 years.
Fourth, we beat this team simply by kicking a FG. Not to shabby.
And finally, we don't know what BASK have in their future plans at QB. Personally I think our next QB is already playing in the NFL. Who thought we would get Carson Palmer and how welll has that worked out? I'm not going to worry about two or three years from now. I am going to enjoy the moment.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
If it's so simple, why haven't defenses figured out how to stop it?

Great question. My theory is---Bill Belichick got his offensive inspiration from the Pacman video game---actually I am being somewhat serious in an analogous kind of way---the best way to beat the ghosts was to escape them up and around the middle, which is exactly what BB does with his offense.

Think of it: where (typically) are the worst pass defenders? In the middle.

What is the shortest distance between two points? Over the middle.

So what he does is, he acquires and drafts big target TEs to threaten the seams, and then shifty, quick footed slot WRs to exploit mismatches in the middle---and if you take those two options away, here comes the quick RB as the third pass option over the middle---thus it is three waves: TEs, slot WRs, speed RB.

Every year since Randy Moss left town the media speculates that the Patriots need to draft a #1 WR...and every year they don't. Why? The perimeter is not their priority.

It's an ingenious strategy too for trying to preserve a QB in his late 30s. The ball quite often comes out very quickly and are mostly 10-12 yard flicks of the wrist.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's the system; Patriots offense is very simple, while BASK is very complex. Did Matt Cassell do well after the left the Patriots?

Which system is that? If you look back at the Pats, they have changed and morphed with the personnel they had at the time. They used to pound you with the run and got efficient play from the QB, but nothing super special from Brady early on. Then they were lighting up the scoreboard with Moss, Welker, Brady and the long ball. They shifted to a 2 TE offense and good pass catching RBs out of the backfield. Matt Cassell won 11 games that year with one of the easiest schedules ever, and Brady won went undefeated with practically the same roster.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard