Cards v Chargers Post Game

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I’ve heard him several times say “it’s on me” in interviews… and no I am not going to waste my night going through his interviews to post for you, I’ll leave that up to you.

It’s a really bad situation.. if he takes ownership for dumb #*%€ Kliff moves I feel it would only validate whatever Kliffy is telling Bidwill in their Monday film situation - Kyler is literally in a no win situation, so rather than lie about the situation to look like a leader I’d rather him be vocal than attach his career to this incompetence that’s been called coaching the past 3 1/2 years.
I wasn't referencing this interview specifically, as I haven't listened to it. I was only commenting in general. There's been a lot more "we we we" and very little "it's on me" in interviews.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow you’re lame.. avoid what 99.9% of what everyone sees in Kliffy being awful to throw some shade on Kyler at all costs in the pathetic hopes one of your Kyler hater groupies cheers you on. I’m sure one will soon, and you will be able to rest at night to a box of Kleenex not for tears.

Again - Kyler’s sucked compared to last year, but until otherwise proven I believe a lot has to deal w the cards he has been dealt from specifically a coach who never succeeded in college let alone the NFL.
So all that lip service you repeat is just that: lip service. You don't really believe Kyler is a problem at all, as you attribute most of his regression to Kliffy.

Just to be clear, how much culpability do you place on Kyler himself for his regression?

For me, it's clear that Kliffy hasn't been good for this team or for Kyler, but it's equally clear that Kyler hasn't been good for this team or helped Kliffy out this season either. Dude made his bank, and that seems to be all he cares about.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WTF is Simmons doing?

He has to also be aware of what others ard doing and if Ekeler is going one way and Allen the other he should know where Everett is aiming for.

Zero instincts.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
WTF is Simmons doing?

He has to also be aware of what others ard doing and if Ekeler is going one way and Allen the other he should know where Everett is aiming for.

Zero instincts.

It’s because collins comes across behind Simmons late to cover ekeler. Simmons doesn’t know ekeler is accounted for and he moves in his direction. Simmons is in a no win situation unless collins is shouting “you got TE! You got TE!”

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
WTF is Simmons doing?

Zero instincts.

Many teams have adapted to goal line rub routes and have started switching at the rub. This isn’t a rub route obviously, but the concept may still apply. Simmons would have responsibility to follow Ekeler passing Everett to Collins on the inside if that were the case. From the view in the video Simmons takes his first step to the outside, points, must of heard Collins, and jumped back to the inside too late. As you said it needs to be communicated instantly or this is the result. As Peter Schrager says, “it’s great play design on the goal line” because everything happens so fast and it’s difficult to defend.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Many teams have adapted to goal line rub routes and have started switching at the rub. This isn’t a rub route obviously, but the concept may still apply. Simmons would have responsibility to follow Ekeler passing Everett to Collins on the inside if that were the case. From the view in the video Simmons takes his first step to the outside, points, must of heard Collins, and jumped back to the inside too late. As you said it needs to be communicated instantly or this is the result. As Peter Schrager says, “it’s great play design on the goal line” because everything happens so fast and it’s difficult to defend.

It's more simple than that. Simmons just plays it really poorly.

He's in man on Everett so he's ignoring all that other stuff and he doesn't get rubbed. He's too far off for one. That close to the goal line I want to see Simmons right up at the LOS jamming Everett and making Herbert think he's not open enough.

Simmons gets completely fooled by a Everett faking going outside then going inside. It wasn't even done well by Everett.

Simmons has one job on that play, cover Everett and I don't think he ever got within 3 yards of him.

Simmons is so poor in coverage that teams are targetting him. You can see it in the DVOA stats for base vs nickel. In nickel Simmons has been playing a bunch of slot coverage and our defense is significantly worse.

Reactions: PJ1

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

He's in man on Everett so he's ignoring all that other stuff and he doesn't get rubbed. He's too far off for one. That close to the goal line I want to see Simmons right up at the LOS jamming Everett and making Herbert think he's not open enough.

Simmons gets completely fooled by a Everett faking going outside then going inside. It wasn't even done well by Everett.

Simmons has one job on that play, cover Everett and I don't think he ever got within 3 yards of him.

Simmons is so poor in coverage that teams are targetting him. You can see it in the DVOA stats for base vs nickel. In nickel Simmons has been playing a bunch of slot coverage and our defense is significantly worse.

Contrary opinion. Simmons was supposed to have help inside from 21. Everyone else in the secondary is square up to the QB. The backside DB rotates to the middle when Eckler motions across which is to protect the defense on quick in-breaking routes. 21 directs Allen inside but turns his body so that he can't help Simmons which he is supposed to be able to do with help inside despite it being man. Simmons plays with poor leverage as he jumps outside too far even with help inside but if 21 (Mullen) plays that with correct technique, it is a contested reception at the worst.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Contrary opinion. Simmons was supposed to have help inside from 21. Everyone else in the secondary is square up to the QB. The backside DB rotates to the middle when Eckler motions across which is to protect the defense on quick in-breaking routes. 21 directs Allen inside but turns his body so that he can't help Simmons which he is supposed to be able to do with help inside despite it being man. Simmons plays with poor leverage as he jumps outside too far even with help inside but if 21 (Mullen) plays that with correct technique, it is a contested reception at the worst.

Looks like Mullen is in man on Allen?

The overall point still stands though. He is bad in coverage.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

My point is without knowing what they are taught to do in man coverage we don’t know. Simmons is the closest defender and is at fault, but who’s to say that if Ekeler was outside of the TE before the ball is snapped that he becomes Simmons responsibility. Simmons looks to his left and takes a step to his left before it was probably communicated to him to stay on his guy. By that time it’s too late.

Also in nickel if our Linebacker is covering a slot corner, it’s a scheme problem. A linebacker should cover the TE or RB in man, but considering the amount of zone we play, I don’t think that’s the issue. It could be that we’re usually in nickel in 3rd and long, can’t generate any pressure and our zone gets exploited.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My point is without knowing what they are taught to do in man coverage we don’t know. Simmons is the closest defender and is at fault, but who’s to say that if Ekeler was outside of the TE before the ball is snapped that he becomes Simmons responsibility. Simmons looks to his left and takes a step to his left before it was probably communicated to him to stay on his guy. By that time it’s too late.

Also in nickel if our Linebacker is covering a slot corner, it’s a scheme problem. A linebacker should cover the TE or RB in man, but considering the amount of zone we play, I don’t think that’s the issue. It could be that we’re usually in nickel in 3rd and long, can’t generate any pressure and our zone gets exploited.

Well we know because Collins goes with Ekeler, Muller goes with Allen and Simmons stays with Everett. It's straight man.

Simmons just plays it very poorly and bites hard on a poor outside fake. Simmons unaware of what is happening around him.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well we know because Collins goes with Ekeler, Muller goes with Allen and Simmons stays with Everett. It's straight man.

Simmons just plays it very poorly and bites hard on a poor outside fake. Simmons unaware of what is happening around him.
I know it’s man, but if they are taught on the goal line to switch off any speed motions or rub routes, then it would make sense to why he points outside looks outside before realizing he has the TE. He is not unaware, he’s just slow to read the play. Probably because he plays all 11 positions on the field in a single game.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Except for the DB who rotates to the middle once Eckler motions to the other side and Collins goes with him. Like who is that player playing "straight man" on. He isn't. He is help for the strong WR side to take away the interior routes.

But please, don't let my facts get in the way of your rant.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

This argument makes me think you don’t understand what you’re watching. Simmons is the outer most defender. He has no idea that collins is behind him crossing over to cover ekeler. It’s 100% natural for them to switch on the goalline so the closest defender covers the closest target. We don’t know the defensive play call. So it could stay at home man. But if that’s the case then vance is a complete idiot because they beat us with that earlier for a short first down and an earlier touchdown.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agreed. Simmons’ mistake was leaving his feet instead of shuffling. Always have to maintain contact with the ground in tight spaces for lateral movement.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Another thing I mentioned to the wife during the game. We lack situational awareness. With about 6 minutes to go in the game we're up by 7 and punting from deep in our own territory we snap the ball with 27 seconds left on the play clock. You should run that clock down and snap it with 2 seconds left to shorten the game. I know that changes the game flow but they scored with about 15 seconds to go in the game. This shows to me coaching is non-existent.

OP
OP
R

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Another thing I mentioned to the wife during the game. We lack situational awareness. With about 6 minutes to go in the game we're up by 7 and punting from deep in our own territory we snap the ball with 27 seconds left on the play clock. You should run that clock down and snap it with 2 seconds left to shorten the game. I know that changes the game flow but they scored with about 15 seconds to go in the game. This shows to me coaching is non-existent.
The 2nd down play was a completed pass to DHop at 6:50...with the clock running the 3rd down pass was snapped at 6:25, but was incomplete to McBride, so clocked stopped. Punt was at 6:18.

On the previous series, which was the 1st of 3 consecutive punts, the 3rd down was snapped at 10:12 and was a 9 yard run by Conner, which kept the clock running. The 4th down punt was at 9:18. This shows special teams is well aware of the clock and game situation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose