Cards trading for Zach Ertz

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is that? The Rams are right there in the mix to win it all and they’ve relied a lot on trades.

I think draft picks, other than top 10 picks, are way overrated. Give me guys that have shown they can play in the league.
They have no first round pick for like next 754 years because of it.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And for a significant portion of the franchises history, it has been true. However, my intention was not to be a black cloud. I like Ertz. I like his fit in the offense. I do hope they extend him as it will minimize the compensation even more.
My response wasn't at your original post. I actually found it great to understand the roster and I did not read it as gloom and doom. I was trying to calm those that did read it that way that this is not new. I do agree that we need to extend him and a few others now rather than later.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unintended result of AJ Green, James Conner, and potentially Zach Ertz's success as one year players in AZ as it can begin to be viewed by players and their agents as a destination to sign and reestablish their value. Not ideal for long-term continuity but a great way to get FAs off of a down year to sign prove-it deals at a bargain.
Win the big game and they will want to play here cheap too

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No that’s “active” verses passive. Yes, this is active. This is literally reactive and 100% not proactive.
I think if we'd waited to see how we went without Maxx, saw that we struggled, then went out and tried to sign someone that would be reactive.

Proactive we'd already have someone on the books to step in, just in case this situation occurred.

What we've done falls somewhere in between.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Why is that? The Rams are right there in the mix to win it all and they’ve relied a lot on trades.

I think draft picks, other than top 10 picks, are way overrated. Give me guys that have shown they can play in the league.
Yeah trading firsts for Jalen Ramsey was such a terrible idea. The Jags really showed everyone!

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'll take this as a typo or you simply don't understand the cap or the actual yearly % that will be paid to KM.
It was called an exaggeration. Thanks for taking the time to point it out. It added a ton to the conversation

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is there a higher profile TE that the Cards have ever had, since the move to AZ? This could actually be huge for a few years.

Novocek and Awalt went on to bigger things after they left.
Seriously. Pope? Nicklas? Housler? Gresham? Fells? Arnold? DC Jefferson?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a higher profile TE that the Cards have ever had, since the move to AZ? This could actually be huge for a few years.

Need an extension first

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How soon you forget Todd Heap! :bang:

...dave

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

The Rams are kinda the exception that proves the rule. You can’t rely heavily on trades due to $$$. No one trades a player on a rookie deal. So you’re trading for ezpensive guys or guys wanting new deals. If you don’t hit on draft picks (you know, the least expensive route to acquire talent) your team usually ends up with gaping holes.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Freddie Jones disappointment.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freddie Jones disappointment.

Massive disappointment. He was such a great, ascending weapon in SD going from 500 to 600 to 670 to 760 yards his first three seasons and was just a complete and utter nothing for us.

Maybe that was a function of our QBs and coaching back then.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Stats are down for the past few years. Injuries piling up to an extent. Eagles declined to pay more or give an extension. https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/will-we-ever-see-elite-zach-ertz-eagles-again. Was on the trade block for almost an year and could only fetch 5th plus.

Lot of evidence to point towards past prime. Cardinals may not need prime Ertz. But someone who can get 600-700 yards a season on a 6.5 YPC average and being a redzone target. This Ertz can do without a question for this and next year. Happy with the trade but cannot pretend Ertz is a cornerstone like Dhop or Jones when they came here.
If by past few years you mean year and a half than sure. However, his QB situation has been ass the past two years. Receiver numbers are almost always affected heavily by their QB.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Short answer is that drafted players are cheap for the duration of their rookie contracts. If you hit on say a 3rd round pick that player will be a starter on your team for 4 years at about $1M in salary. To get similar production from a free agent you are likely paying at least 3-4 times that amount. That being said signing a proven player is more of a sure thing than a player that you draft panning out. Regardless of who is making that pick.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Massive disappointment. He was such a great, ascending weapon in SD going from 500 to 600 to 670 to 760 yards his first three seasons and was just a complete and utter nothing for us.

Maybe that was a function of our QBs and coaching back then.
Hey he had that game tying TD vs Car in 2002!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave