Cards signing Gladney

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Old scouting reports pre draft say he was a very aggressive CB that worked in college but the fear was in the NFL, at his size, he'd be gambling and get beaten and bigger NFL Wr's would use his aggressiveness against him over power him and get the ball.

I honestly have never seen him play to my knowledge.
Sounds like Baby Antron.

Devil is in the details here. Hopefully just a low-seven-figure signing bonus and minimum salaries. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he never makes it out of training camp.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Baby Antron.

Devil is in the details here. Hopefully just a low-seven-figure signing bonus and minimum salaries. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he never makes it out of training camp.

The first pre draft report i saw said he'd be a quality starter in 2 years. Sounds like rookie year he started but wasn't good, then missed 2nd year so if he isn't too rusty maybe we get lucky.

not expecting Aeneas Williams but would be nice if we lucked into a first round talent. I did find one thing that said the Vikings were absolutely very high on him after his rookie year until he got arrested.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Forget his rookie year (2020), it was during the Coronavirus epidemic. There were no OTAs, no minicamps, no preseason at all. Additionally, the Vikings threw him in the starting lineup. Finally he missed the whole 2021 season with his legal issues. Let's see what he can do with a full off-season training program before we judge him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Cards still need to add a CB early in the draft. Also sign a vet free agent CB but don't break the bank.
?

They have so many holes right now that they don't have the luxury of adding another CB. You can argue that CB is one of the better roster situations.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
?

They have so many holes right now that they don't have the luxury of adding another CB. You can argue that CB is one of the better roster situations.

Sad but true. Oddly CB is still the most common mock draft position for us but I think it's way down the list now and certainly off the board in round 1.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It’s so weird that people feel like we’re set at CB because we signed a guy that the Vikes liked right before they cut him.

The 2020 Vikes D was 18th in psd defense DVOA.

Byron Murphy is entering the final year of his deal.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It’s so weird that people feel like we’re set at CB because we signed a guy that the Vikes liked right before they cut him.

The 2020 Vikes D was 18th in psd defense DVOA.

Byron Murphy is entering the final year of his deal.
I don't feel like we are set, but I feel like it is the less glaring hole to plug right now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't feel like we are set, but I feel like it is the less glaring hole to plug right now.

I'd be fine with it if we brought Alford back at vet min who did well last year.

They tend to only keep 4 on the 53 with Whitaker on the PS.

So Murphy, Wilson, Gladney and Alford. Plus the possibility they may draft someone.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry to argue with anybody but CB is still a big need for the Cards. Sure they have lots of holes to fill but IMO thy don't have a #1 CB on the roster.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry to argue with anybody but CB is still a big need for the Cards. Sure they have lots of holes to fill but IMO thy don't have a #1 CB on the roster.

Lot's of teams don't have a CB1 on the roster. Not in the traditional sense of a lockdown CB that can cover WR1's consistently. They have been scarce.

Look at the recent first round picks (excluding last year as too early)

Okudah - bleugh
Henderson - Traded
Terrell - Is a CB1
Arnette - Cut
Igbinoghene - meh
Gladney - Nothing so far
Deandre Baker - cut
Denzel Ward - Very good. Is he a CB1 yet? I don't know
Jaire Alexander - CB1
Mike Hughes - traded for a 6th

That's 3 drafts worth of first round picks and 2, maybe 3 CB1's.

There is another way we can look at this.

We have a 23 year old, a 24 year old and a 25 year old starting at CB currently. Everyone said they wanted to get younger. It could be the starting trio for the next 6 years.

(Gladney is actually more than a year older than Byron)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For what it's worth I don't think any of the CB's slated to go in round 1 are close to what I thought of Surtain or Horn coming out last year.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Our corners were torched with regularity last year, and it seems we've brought in another version of Marco Wilson. (Who also hasn't played in over a year). Problem solved!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For what it's worth I don't think any of the CB's slated to go in round 1 are close to what I thought of Surtain or Horn coming out last year.
Both Gardner and McDuffie are pretty talented and would have to be considered if they fall to us. Stingley is a ?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Both Gardner and McDuffie are pretty talented and would have to be considered if they fall to us. Stingley is a ?

I don't like any of them as much as Horn and Surtain though. That might just be me.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like any of them as much as Horn and Surtain though. That might just be me.
As a rookie they won't hace the impact we looking for
We have already the young guys gaining experience
We need to improve the offensive line and a pass rusher

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn