Cards Sign Paris Lenon

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of crying and whining over someone who for one reason or another didn`t get the DEAL he wanted in AZ.IMO Graves and Whiz know what they are doing better than the fans do.;)

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The media is laughing (ie; Cards go with PLAN C). Won't be long before NFL fans will be chiming in with their barbs. ...And somewhere I imagine Bill Sr. is counting his nickles & dimes. :bang: It's not so much that we lost out on Foote, it's HOW we lost out on him. I'd hate to be in the Cards' PR dept. now. OK! Enough venting! Let's see what the Cards do now.

I'd be frustrated too, if I cared what the media thought.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
A lot of crying and whining over someone who for one reason or another didn`t get the DEAL he wanted in AZ.IMO Graves and Whiz know what they are doing better than the fans do.;)

It seems obvious that the Cards chose to sign Lenon instead of Foote. How much of that had to do with $ I don't know, but from the scouting report it looks like Lenon brings just about as much to the table as Foote.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh well a tad disapointed we didn't sign foote but lets see what Lenon does for us this year. I mean really I think how good or bad Leinart plays this year will decide if we make the playoffs or not. I still hope we manage to sign Porter though we have the money graves make it happen.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It seems obvious that the Cards chose to sign Lenon instead of Foote. How much of that had to do with $ I don't know, but from the scouting report it looks like Lenon brings just about as much to the table as Foote.

The choice was between an average starter and a good backup.

In this case they decided to go with the backup.

Still a long time to go between now and training camp.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think everyone is making a big assumption saying, "he's just a backup". In fact, I bet once we hear from this guy, he's going to talk about how the chance to start was big reason for him signing here.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lenon has started 70 games the last 5 years. It's not like we signed a career backup/special teamer.

He played for four terrible Lions defenses and one historically bad Rams defense.

In all these years where we've played the Lions (and last year when we played the Rams twice) do you ever remember yourself remarking, "Hey, that Paris Lenon guy is pretty good?" I know that I never through that.

It's like we signed some other team's Ronald McKinnon.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Question Begging to be Asked...

Lenon has started 70 games the last 5 years. It's not like we signed a career backup/special teamer.
Lenon racked up well over 100 tackles each in 2008 and 2009 for the Lions, but in 15 (of 16) games for St, Louis (ten as a starter), his production tailed off badly to 42.

Which begs the question: "Why the fall-off in production?

Which begs the follow-up question: Which guy are we getting - the 42-tackle guy or the 118-tackle guy?

Perhaps the Cardinal staff feels that there were extenuating circumstances playing for a rookie coach (Spags) in St.L. Maybe Marinelli handled him and used him differently in Detroit.

If the Cards can get him back to his earlier production, they may have struck paydirt. If not, he figures to be a good depth-guy and is said to be good on ST's.

Regarding the "Wrong Paris" - we got the "Smarter Paris." (To paraphrase what used to be said about Terry Bradshaw: "the one we didn't get couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted her the "C" and the "T."

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I am in the minority that agrees with you.

It is Larry Foote for Pete's sake. It is not like Foote was going to come in here and make us forget that Dansby is no longer our WILB.

There are still about 2 or 3 guys that can come in and do the same or better job as Foote.

I think Akin Ayodele or Andra Davis are a good options to bring in.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He played for four terrible Lions defenses and one historically bad Rams defense.

In all these years where we've played the Lions (and last year when we played the Rams twice) do you ever remember yourself remarking, "Hey, that Paris Lenon guy is pretty good?" I know that I never through that.

It's like we signed some other team's Ronald McKinnon.

McKinnon? Now you are just being mean. :)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in the minority that agrees with you.

It is Larry Foote for Pete's sake. It is not like Foote was going to come in here and make us forget that Dansby is no longer our WILB.

There are still about 2 or 3 guys that can come in and do the same or better job as Foote.

I wouldn't be surprised if we stand pat with the position until the draft.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think everyone is making a big assumption saying, "he's just a backup". In fact, I bet once we hear from this guy, he's going to talk about how the chance to start was big reason for him signing here.

this is my fear.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if we stand pat with the position until the draft.

agreed. I think people are fooling themselves if they think we didn't just sign Lennon after losing out on Foote. I'm curious to see what the numbers are on this deal.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lenon's a nice signing, as long as he's cheap. I definitely have more faith in him than Ali Highsmith. He won't replace Dansby, but no FA in this year's class could fill that role.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The choice was between an average starter and a good backup.

In this case they decided to go with the backup.

i think it's possible that the assumption that Lennon was signed to be a back-up is a faulty one. And even if not, it seems like backwards thinking to me to worry about depth when you've got nothing up front. Smells like the whole "build the belly of the beast" stuff we heard back in 2003 when we started rookies everywhere and sucked so much ass that i was able to bet 500 bucks against us with 15 point spreads and cover by the end of the first quarter.

now that's not to say we'll be 2003 bad... we've got a great coach and a ton more talent. I'm just not the biggest fan of our approach to FA this year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
keep telling yourselves he's just a back-up/special teamer:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/car...0315paris-lenon-linebacker-signs-arizona.html

"An inside linebacker who likely will compete for a starting spot previously occupied by departed free agent Karlos Dansby, Lenon had back-to-back 100-plus tackle seasons for Detroit in 2007 and '08 before signing with the Rams last season and finishing with 44 tackles and three forced fumbles.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The Cardinals chose Lenon over Larry Foote, who on Monday signed a three-year, $9.3 million contract to rejoin the Pittsburgh Steelers. Foote, who spent last season with the Lions, had visited the Cardinals last week along with fellow free agent Joey Porter."

Ugh. We've made some great trades so far this off-season (love the Q/Rhodes deals) but this is move sucks IMO.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/car...0315paris-lenon-linebacker-signs-arizona.html

"An inside linebacker who likely will compete for a starting spot previously occupied by departed free agent Karlos Dansby, Lenon had back-to-back 100-plus tackle seasons for Detroit in 2007 and '08 before signing with the Rams last season and finishing with 44 tackles and three forced fumbles.

The Cardinals chose Lenon over Larry Foote, who on Monday signed a three-year, $9.3 million contract to rejoin the Pittsburgh Steelers. Foote, who spent last season with the Lions, had visited the Cardinals last week along with fellow free agent Joey Porter."

Ugh. We've made some great trades so far this off-season (love the Q/Rhodes deals) but this is move sucks IMO.

Just about any and every played signed by the Cards will be told they have a chance to EARN the starting job. SOP for Whis. Having said that I hear a lot of quacking.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have yet to see any appreciable difference between Foote and Lennon. Both seem rather journeyman-like. Neither seems special.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I thought I'd look back at my Annuals for 2009 to see what the book was on Lenon before last season began. He didn't even make mention on the roster for the Rams in either Lindy's or The Sporting News previews.

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He should've been. Starting on the Lions and Rams defense shouldn't even be considered a start.

I'd rather not bring in the player that forced the Dolphins to overpay Dansby.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

What are they supposed to say? Our current roster has a beat-up, disappointing Hayes, Reggie Walker, Ali Highsmith, and Monty Beisel. I could probably compete with them for a starting spot.

So for now he is not just a back-up/special teamer considering the current makeup of the roster. But there are 5 months of roster editing to do before our starting lineup even struts out on the field.

Last edited: