Cards say offers for trade down are picking up

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Isn't that what I said :shrug: ? They haven't made any sort of deals or talked compensation. Just expressed interest in the pick if the player is available that they like.
Monti said last year that prior to the draft they talk to determine who might be interested in moving one way or another and roughly what they are looking for

i think the timing on draft day makes that a requirement -- when you are on the clock, i dont think you have time to do anything but get best and final offers

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's less about the personal player development and more about roster building. There just isn't time to wait. Players will and should get better over the seasons, if they're good, but you can't draft a 1st rounder just to stash and develop now. They have to play, and if they're playing and you want to make the playoffs, they need to be playing relatively well. PJJ is a good example. He didn't blow anyone's doors off, but you're saying you would have been fine if he offered nothing last season and we gave him a few years to develop first. Well, I can pretty much guarantee we would've had the top pick in the draft if we got nothing out of PJJ last year. We HAD to have him play and do decent. Yeah, the rest of the roster sucked, so we still weren't good, but he's a part of the reason we won the games we did for sure.

Meanwhile in Kansas City.

Recent 1st Rounders RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire and DE Felix Andukie-Uzomah say hi.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It's less about the personal player development and more about roster building. There just isn't time to wait. Players will and should get better over the seasons, if they're good, but you can't draft a 1st rounder just to stash and develop now. They have to play, and if they're playing and you want to make the playoffs, they need to be playing relatively well. PJJ is a good example. He didn't blow anyone's doors off, but you're saying you would have been fine if he offered nothing last season and we gave him a few years to develop first. Well, I can pretty much guarantee we would've had the top pick in the draft if we got nothing out of PJJ last year. We HAD to have him play and do decent. Yeah, the rest of the roster sucked, so we still weren't good, but he's a part of the reason we won the games we did for sure.
First round picks are expected to contribute. The ability to contribute right away is much of why they are first round picks.
But they don't really negatively affect team building through the cap.
This year's number one overall pick is going to get roughly 42mil fully guaranteed.
Sam Bradford, the last pre rookie scale #1 pick...got 6 years 78mil with $50mil guaranteed... I'm sure we all remember how first round picks were demanding more and more money every year. How teams had to cut vets in order to sign rookies... The rookie scale seriously reduces the cap impact they have.
We can be pretty certain that without the rookie scale that by now, fifteen years later... A guy like Caleb Williams would be demanding and holding out for something in the neighborhood of 5 years 175mil with 75mil guaranteed...... THAT has a serious affect on team building.... And we all know it would likely be more because every little bastard coming into the NFL had a massive ego and thought he was better than anyone in the league and should be paid accordingly.
They are paid less because they are undeveloped and inexperienced and keeping the cost of their OJT low allows teams to fill out the roster with more experienced players.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1st round picks that don't contribute in the first season almost never contribute in any significant way.

I can think of very few exceptions, and if they are an exception it's usually because they had mental or off the field issues holding them back. Most of the time players don't change those.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
1st round picks that don't contribute in the first season almost never contribute in any significant way.

I can think of very few exceptions, and if they are an exception it's usually because they had mental or off the field issues holding them back. Most of the time players don't change those.
Okay.
I guess Hump was an anomaly

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s not even really accurate it’s not that uncommon for players to struggle and go on and have good to great careers.
Exactly. I think it is closer to about 65/35 where they contribute right away, vs needing time to develop. (not counting the ones that bust)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
My brother I wish you would stop saying this like dude been in the league for 4 years & it’s already confirmed he’s a bust lol
I'm in no way labeling him a bust yet. What I am saying, which is undeniable, is that he offered us very little and our pass rush suffered for it this past season. It hurts when top picks don't contribute year one; it hurts doubly on a bad team in desperate need for help at that position.

Here's to hoping he comes good in the future.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm in no way labeling him a bust yet
I guess our definitions of “burned a pick” are way different from each other. It just comes off like you believe this dude was drafted 6th overall instead of Paris.
What I am saying, which is undeniable, is that he offered us very little and our pass rush suffered for it this past season. It hurts when top picks don't contribute year one; it hurts doubly on a bad team in desperate need for help at that position.
I’d argue it hurts less when you’re on a rebuilding team that’s far away from competing. Dude was one of the youngest players in the league & unfortunately missed most of Training Camp. Also, it’s not like he had anything really to work with(talking about the supporting cast) either. There were bright spots. Not like he was a complete no-show. Let’s hope he improves.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, that was exactly the one player that came to my mind as an anomaly.
Except Hassan Reddick is another player that easily comes to mind.

It is easy to see mostly failures, when your team has been mostly a failure for the past century. Other teams don't have to use, or have the same expectation of 1st rounders like we have.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
FYI Vikings HC said today that he thinks two first rounders should get the job done. Interesting to see these negotiations move into the media.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
My brother I wish you would stop saying this like dude been in the league for 4 years & it’s already confirmed he’s a bust lol
Agree but he is definitely one that didn’t do as much as expected last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake