Cards release C Lamont Gaillard

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
For those keeping score, this year is Josh Jones watch year. If he is ever a player for our future, he should easily win the RG job. If he can't beta out Winters and Murray at RG, he is likely another Mason Cole who showed he wasn't he guy for the job by not being able to beat out marginal competition.

I think this goes with other players as well. Chad Williams sucked early. Isabella sucked early. In contrast, both Chase and BMurphy found immediate roles early. I understand that we say rookies take time, but I am struggling to find examples of rookies who "developed" into starters. Humphries was a guy but that was maturity not ability.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That you know of... Maybe there is a personality clash, maybe there are other off field issues.

Galliard definitely played better than Cole NOMHO. (not only my humble opinion)
lol I like how you spelled out the acronym afterward

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Certainly opens up a spot for Menet.
I doubt it. We are only going to carry so many offensive linemen.

1-DJ Humphries
2-Justin Pugh
3-Rodney Hudson
4-Justin Murray
5-Kelvin Beachum
6-Josh Jones
7-Max Garcia
8-?
9-?

That is two spots open. You have Joshua Miles who the team has held onto for multiple years as a backup LT. Brian Winters, Sean Harlow and Shaq Calhoun who are interior depth options if you want Josh Jones to be a backup OT option. Menet's path to the active roster is justifying a roster spot for a late round rookie who doesn't have a history of playing multiple spots. Tough sledding.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I doubt it. We are only going to carry so many offensive linemen.

1-DJ Humphries
2-Justin Pugh
3-Rodney Hudson
4-Justin Murray
5-Kelvin Beachum
6-Josh Jones
7-Max Garcia
8-?
9-?

That is two spots open. You have Joshua Miles who the team has held onto for multiple years as a backup LT. Brian Winters, Sean Harlow and Shaq Calhoun who are interior depth options if you want Josh Jones to be a backup OT option. Menet's path to the active roster is justifying a roster spot for a late round rookie who doesn't have a history of playing multiple spots. Tough sledding.

Tough sledding, sure, but easier without another C on the roster. I'm pulling for the guy, because I'm a homer :)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That you know of... Maybe there is a personality clash, maybe there are other off field issues.

Galliard definitely played better than Cole NOMHO. (not only my humble opinion)
I don't think the coaches would pass judgment so early in the TC process. Something more must be going on.

It's not as if we had Pro Bowl backup depth. Why thin out a position so early?

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just saw a thread on Reddit speculating that he could have been cut for not willing to get vaccinated since team needs to hit the 85% target. It's anybody guess at the moment

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I just saw a thread on Reddit speculating that he could have been cut for not willing to get vaccinated since team needs to hit the 85% target. It's anybody guess at the moment
I have heard that this could be a factor for fringe roster players.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I in no way mean this to trash a person/player, and wish him the best of success in his career, but this guy was never in contention to be a starter. He just didn't have it.

Keim's draft record just gets worse. Without Kyler Murray, how bad does that 2019 draft look? We've replaced our 3rd pick with free agents, Isabella is garbage, Byron Murphy can't play anything but nickel, our 4th round pick is gone, and the rest of the players are barely notable.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess no comp pick out of this?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
For those keeping score, this year is Josh Jones watch year. If he is ever a player for our future, he should easily win the RG job. If he can't beta out Winters and Murray at RG, he is likely another Mason Cole who showed he wasn't he guy for the job by not being able to beat out marginal competition.

I think this goes with other players as well. Chad Williams sucked early. Isabella sucked early. In contrast, both Chase and BMurphy found immediate roles early. I understand that we say rookies take time, but I am struggling to find examples of rookies who "developed" into starters. Humphries was a guy but that was maturity not ability.

Markus Golden came on as a second year player. Budda Baker was brought along pretty slowly. Hasaan Reddick was nothing, then he was something, and now he’s gone.

Still skeptical about Byron Murphy being much of anything. He sucked as a rookie, and he also sucked in an expanded role in his second year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Markus Golden came on as a second year player. Budda Baker was brought along pretty slowly. Hasaan Reddick was nothing, then he was something, and now he’s gone.

Still skeptical about Byron Murphy being much of anything. He sucked as a rookie, and he also sucked in an expanded role in his second year.
Byron Murphy played 1105 snaps his rookie year. He wasn't good but he wasn't missing playing time behind replaceable vets either. Budda played 48% of snaps on defense and 65% of ST snaps. Even Reddick got 40% of defensive snaps in 2017. Golden played 49% of defensive snaps.

And that is kinda my point. Guys who hang around usually find their way onto the field and can contribute to some degree. They show enough that coaches don't feel they need to put JAGs in front of them. If Josh Jones can't show enough to beat out Murray and Winters, even if his play is not great, then it tells you that he is a complete mess in the coaches eyes.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Senio Kelemete is probably one guy who was drafted, couldn't get on the field, and then developed into a quality reserve offensive lineman.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Byron Murphy played 1105 snaps his rookie year. He wasn't good but he wasn't missing playing time behind replaceable vets either. Budda played 48% of snaps on defense and 65% of ST snaps. Even Reddick got 40% of defensive snaps in 2017. Golden played 49% of defensive snaps.

And that is kinda my point. Guys who hang around usually find their way onto the field and can contribute to some degree. They show enough that coaches don't feel they need to put JAGs in front of them. If Josh Jones can't show enough to beat out Murray and Winters, even if his play is not great, then it tells you that he is a complete mess in the coaches eyes.
Keim had a shrug emoji playing behind Byron Murphy his rookie year. Patrick Peterson was on a suspension for the first 8 games or whatever, and — you'll never believe this — Robert Alford was injured in the preseason and didn't play a down. Tremaine Brock was the other starter, and he got released in Week 12, finishing the season with Tennessee. It's hard to argue he earned a spot on the roster.

Here's a quick chart I made of the defensive snap percentages by game for Reddick and Baker their rookie seasons:

You must be registered for see images attach

that seems to me like a guy earning a ton more playing time (Baker) versus a scrub playing himself onto the sideline. You want your promising second-round picks to look more like Baker; that's the development you expect when guys earn playing time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Keim had a shrug emoji playing behind Byron Murphy his rookie year. Patrick Peterson was on a suspension for the first 8 games or whatever, and — you'll never believe this — Robert Alford was injured in the preseason and didn't play a down. Tremaine Brock was the other starter, and he got released in Week 12, finishing the season with Tennessee. It's hard to argue he earned a spot on the roster.

Here's a quick chart I made of the defensive snap percentages by game for Reddick and Baker their rookie seasons:

You must be registered for see images attach

that seems to me like a guy earning a ton more playing time (Baker) versus a scrub playing himself onto the sideline. You want your promising second-round picks to look more like Baker; that's the development you expect when guys earn playing time.
My overall point is that guys who stick in the league find a way to contribute in some way by the end of year 2. I would put Byron Murphy is that group. Guys who can't get on the field by the end of year 2, tend to wash out. Brandon Williams would be in that group. Joshua Jones is heading into year two with Justin Murray in front of him on the roster. If he hasn't broken through by the end of the year, he likely never will.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I in no way mean this to trash a person/player, and wish him the best of success in his career, but this guy was never in contention to be a starter. He just didn't have it.

Keim's draft record just gets worse. Without Kyler Murray, how bad does that 2019 draft look? We've replaced our 3rd pick with free agents, Isabella is garbage, Byron Murphy can't play anything but nickel, our 4th round pick is gone, and the rest of the players are barely notable.
Cutting Gaillard doesn't make Keim's record worse.

That's utter nonsense. A 7th round center who played even a little is a plus for a GMs record more than a minus. Not sticking up for Keim at all....just pointing out that this is NONSENSE.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My overall point is that guys who stick in the league find a way to contribute in some way by the end of year 2. I would put Byron Murphy is that group. Guys who can't get on the field by the end of year 2, tend to wash out. Brandon Williams would be in that group. Joshua Jones is heading into year two with Justin Murray in front of him on the roster. If he hasn't broken through by the end of the year, he likely never will.
100% on this.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know Galliard was only a sixth-rounder, but Keim's draft record with O-linemen is pretty ridiculous at this point. At least he was smart enough to trade a pick for a legitimately great center.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Cutting Gaillard doesn't make Keim's record worse.

That's utter nonsense. A 7th round center who played even a little is a plus for a GMs record more than a minus. Not sticking up for Keim at all....just pointing out that this is NONSENSE.
6th rounder. But there were some insisting this guy could be a starter.

Keim's got the worst draft record in the league over the past 4-5 years. This only makes it worse. That's inarguable. Disregarding 2021, we barely have any of the past five years of picks on our team, and only 2-3 surefire starters.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
6th rounder. But there were some insisting this guy could be a starter.

Keim's got the worst draft record in the league over the past 4-5 years. This only makes it worse. That's inarguable. Disregarding 2021, we barely have any of the past five years of picks on our team, and only 2-3 surefire starters.

Bro that is totally unrealistic to consider a 6th or 7th rounder against a draft record.

The only thing that really matters is all the premium picks he has missed on.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score

Attachments

• draft data.JPG
    draft data.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 5

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member