Cards Hire Jonathan Gannon as New HC

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is Monti's guy. No doubt about it.
And that’s GREAT!!!! Some on this board just don’t get it. My biggest knock on the Bidwill family is that they meddle, meddle, meddle. The fact that MO got his guy means that MB stepped aside & let his GM make the decision. That gives me HOPE that maybe, just maybe, Michael will stop meddling & let his GM build this organization. It may take a few years, but this is the way successful franchises are built. Kudos to Michael & MO.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
30+ points given up in the Super Bowl ....

I'll hope for the best, but when any defense gives up 30 points in ANY game they were out coached, out witted, and their defense was a joke to the other teams offensive coordinator.

He's also never been a head coach at ANY level

Sean Payton vs. Gannon will be a thread to run for awhile

Don't you find it strange how the team that LOST the Super Bowl had both coordinators taken and the team that won the Super Bowl had none taken?
Offense & ST gave up touchdowns.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ugh…. the LAST thing I wanted to see was the KK meet and greet bro-hug. Seriously, running to meet him? I know he’s excited but I would really have preferred a much more business like approach. Anyone think Payton or Quinn or Flores would have done that?

Hopefully K1 isn’t walking away thinking “this guy is my b**ch”
Totally disagree, even from this video you can tell that Gannon is the alpha male type that Kliff never was. He wasn't running to meet him like a fan boy. Kliff probably would have walked over there with Michael and waited to be introduced. Gannon will bring a new energy to the team, at the very least.
Yea I didnt take that at all.
As someone who has been around college coaches and a few NFL coaches (through friends). If anything, the slap on the chest is "Im not you're b*tch"

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And that’s GREAT!!!! Some on this board just don’t get it. My biggest knock on the Bidwill family is that they meddle, meddle, meddle. The fact that MO got his guy means that MB stepped aside & let his GM make the decision. That gives me HOPE that maybe, just maybe, Michael will stop meddling & let his GM build this organization. It may take a few years, but this is the way successful franchises are built. Kudos to Michael & MO.
Agreed. But we don't know it was purely an MO guy.. but, I'll reserve hope to thinking it was.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ugh…. the LAST thing I wanted to see was the KK meet and greet bro-hug. Seriously, running to meet him? I know he’s excited but I would really have preferred a much more business like approach. Anyone think Payton or Quinn or Flores would have done that?

I get that he's excited with getting the new job

But the bro hug was not a good way to start

Be the coach, not the friend

We just got rid of that guy

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

He knew the cameras were rolling. Almost looked scripted. :cool:

KiwiCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I can Gann'on board with this.

Peyton was my first choice and I liked Lou but what do I know!

What I like about this is that this clearly looks like Monti has Michaels trust and therefore has the power to make the decisions.

Im not fazed at all by the Super bowl performance nor what Eggles fans are saying.

I genuinely think our defense isn't that far off actually being good and excited to see what Gannon and his DC can do. For these reasons;
1. If VJ is as bad as everyone says then that means our players are underperforming to their talent
2. We have some good talent that is performing, JT, Budda, Murphy and Allen (get it done Monti)
3. We have two Linebackers with potential that I would love to see under Gannon and a new DC in Simmons and Collins
4. We have some young talent that is showing some flashes in Thomas, Wilson and Sanders
5. Finally we will be adding what should be a gamebreaking talent in Carter or Anderson Jr.

Its fixable and a turnaround into a top 16 D for next year isn't that far fetched to me.

I'm less confident on the Offense, the O line is a big concern and I really think we need a strong running game to help Kyler.

I'm intrigued to see what Gannon can get for an OC and staff but it is promising that even though he's youngish he's been around for a while and at multiple organizations.

I also cant see why a Defensive based coach cant have a positive impact on both Kyler and the O. He understands defenses and how he would counter our offense/kyler. I cant see why he cant sit down with Kyler and breakdown why defenses are doing different things against him and why. Also there's still the mental and belief side of performance and he can certainly have an impact there.

Im HOPEFUL!

waterboy

Rookie
Reaction score
Like I've said all along, I'll give any of these dudes a fair shake, as long as Vance was out of the HC picture. I think this will hopefully mean, if he's retained, it's just in an "advisory" capacity and not DC.
Gotta agree with this 100%. Even better would be for Bidwill to stay out of the day to day of the team. If Vance stays then not enough has changed with team and Michael will continue to be in the way of everything.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Got his degree, but I don't think ever became one. I think Albright's point was the staff, not just one person.

Before becoming an NFL coach, Patricia was on a path to become a rocket scientist. He majored in aeronautical engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York.Feb 5, 2018
I turned down RPI, and went to RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) instead. Screw RPI LOL.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno. The horror show around the QB position is a what got him fired.
I think the playoff collapse, combined with the horrendous home record is what got him fired.

Reactions: PJ1

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to add, dont love the 5 year contract, would have preferred 3/4 years
The fact that this year is a complete teardown and you can't really begin building until next year with a 100% healthy Murray, it's gotta be this way. It may, in actuality be a 4 year with team option for 5th..I think that's how Kliff's contract was set up.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm glad it's resolved and I'm glad with the way it was handled.

I don't think we can moan about Keim and the way he did things then complain we didn't do it the way he did which was bring in 4 guys in 3 days then hire the one you like best on day 4.

Monti did his research, made an extensive list, interviewed them as and when available and hired the guy that was always high on his list.

We asked for different and we got different. Let's trust Monti knows what he's doing until proved otherwise.
Except being the last hire is what we’ve done in the past so sure. “Different”

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm cautiously optimistic.

Next year is going to be really hard, so I'm not expecting much, and will look more to coaching hires, FA, the draft, and how things turn out in terms of our preparedness/competitiveness, and if we can come away with a sneaky win here or there.

It's 2024 when I'll start to really put the guy under a microscope, but at least he has an NFL pedigree, so I won't be walking into the season as embittered as I was when we hired Kliff.