Cards hire Drew Petzing as their OC

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Doesn’t look like he had the most success with that position group in Cleveland, don’t know much about him though.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Petzing’s love for the game continued to blossom even after he finished his time at Middlebury. Petzing spent six years coaching at the collegiate level, three of those at Ivy League institutions. After graduating from Middlebury in 2009 with a degree in economics and a minor in math and philosophy, he began working at Harvard as a volunteer student assistant. Next, he worked at Boston College in 2010 as a recruiting graduate assistant and later as the defensive graduate assistant in 2011.

In 2012, he coached outside linebackers at Yale. 2013 was the year Petzing finally made it to the NFL, working as a football operations intern for the Cleveland Browns. The following year he transitioned to Minnesota, the final stop of his career thus far. He worked with running backs in 2014, one of them Jerick McKinnon, who put up 538 rushing yards, good for third among NFL rookies that year. From 2015–2017, Petzing mainly helped wide receiver coach George Stewart and the offensive coaching staff as well. He helped to foster the young talent of Stefon Diggs who led the team in receptions and receiving yards in 2015 despite missing the first three games of the season. In 2017, Petzing had the honor to be a part of a Vikings team that dominantly finished the season at 13–3 and earned a berth in the NFC championship game.

In addition to Diggs, Petzing coached the talented Adam Thielen who put up 1276 yards and 91 catches, sending him to the Pro Bowl. In total, in 2016–2017, Diggs and Thielen combined for 3,995 yards, the most for two teammates that season. In 2018, Petzing worked alongside quarterback coach Kevin Stefanski, the same season that Vikings QB Kirk Cousins came in and set a franchise record with 425 completions.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, I don't think "Browns QB whisperer" is a guy I want running our offense. I'll give him a chance, but don't like the hire.
Going with a real young staff

Hopefully it works

At least it looks like JG and Ossie are selecting who they want with little to no input from MB

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I’d rather roll with some young up and coming coaches, who still have something to prove and a fire to move up, than having previously failed HCs, at this point. Now sprinkle in an old dude as offense and defense consultant (Phillips, Zimmer, Turner, etc) and I think we’re cooking with gas.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the staff is like Gannon

people in the NFL have said nice things about them -- but thats the default for media in the NFL (nobody wants to burn a source that might be around for years)

so this is promising (i guess) but its really a show me kinda deal

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, I don't think "Browns QB whisperer" is a guy I want running our offense. I'll give him a chance, but don't like the hire.
Yeah, this hiring is the first during this cycle that gives me a little hesitation. There is no indication he knows how to build game plans, I don’t think he has done much play calling if any. Doesn’t mean it can’t work but not digging this one and the alternative didn’t need to be some sort 60 year old retread. I feel like they could have found a more suitable OC

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’d rather roll with some young up and coming coaches, who still have something to prove and a fire to move up, than having previously failed HCs, at this point. Now sprinkle in an old dude as offense and defense consultant (Phillips, Zimmer, Turner, etc) and I think we’re cooking with gas.

As said before, I'm glad that they are investing in the young and up-and-coming. None of the hires, so far, will need a nap in the afternoon. Maybe a bit of wisdom should be considered, but any impression that this coaching staff still needs training wheels could be problematic.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The key for Drew is going to be how he handles KM

Him and JG need to get him to buy into learning how to read a defense and not to carry the ball like a loaf of bread

Sounds like JG likes to run unscripted practices forcing the QB to make his reads and this will help

It's all in KM's hands how he wants to improve or not

Last edited:

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Asking from someone who doesn’t know the rules. Can the OC and DC give out their play books, etc. now, so the players can start familiarizing and learning their systems, verbiage, etc? Or do they have to wait for the off season schedules such as OTA’s etc?

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I know nothing about this guy, from the article it looks like he's worked with all the skill positions in the Offensive side tho.
I'll tell ya one thing this team is going to look nothing like the last few years, which is good, we may not win many this year but this will be fun to watch....I hope lol

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Him and JG need to get him to but into learning how to read a defense and not to carry the ball like a loaf of bread

Sounds like JG likes to run unscripted practices forcing the QB to make his reads and this will help

Gannon spoke several times in his interviews about teaching players & getting better in practice every day. That right there is promising considering the KK staff seemed to teach nothing, just more rah rah stuff is about it.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

Him and JG need to get him to but into learning how to read a defense and not to carry the ball like a loaf of bread

Bim: buy into

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about this guy, from the article it looks like he's worked with all the skill positions in the Offensive side tho.
I'll tell ya one thing this team is going to look nothing like the last few years, which is good, we may not win many this year but this will be fun to watch....I hope lol
This is what I'm hoping also

Disciplined team that plays smart, tough football and cuts down on mistakes

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I laugh every time I hear someone use the term “cooking with gas”. My Dad worked for a gas company all his life & used that term ALL THE TIME:D

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Adapting, week to week game plans being different will be great. Gannon spoke about that also, another breath of fresh air considering KK never changed anything, just kept running the same **** hoping for a different result. This OC is ivy league educated, Idk how good his play calling will be but he's smart enough to hopefully get it right when things don't work.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose