Cards get Adrian Peterson in trade with New Orleans

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
$100 isn't a lot of money, but I generally won't just give it away. We threw a 6th round pick (and possibly more depending how AP figures into comp picks) away for the chance to be mediocre.

We'll just agree to disagree. I want my FO always trying to improve. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they dont. But in reality, we were already mediocre. Folly or not, the season was far from over at the time, AP represented a possibility to improve. I'll take it.

Appreciate that you think it was dumb. Either way, it's not going to affect us moving forward to the extent that you need it to to make your point, and we ended up too sucky for me to make mine. Lose lose!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell BA was saying he had 12 NFL caliber WRs during that time period. I don't remember anyone saying it was a major weakness of the team at that time. Yes everyone was looking for Fitz's replacement due to future retirement concerns, but Chad was supposed to spend the year learning from Fitz.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ns-lays-into-arizona-cardinals-wide-receivers

wha?! All I did was bang on the WR drum last off-season... that and second CB.

And called Arians on his BS.

The idea that the position wasn't a concern is a joke to me. Why don't you ask @cardncubfan about my problems with the WR crew and how he believed we were gonna be okay because John was going to make everyone realize HE was the biggest baddest Brown around, not Antonio.

Come on guys... this is such revisionist history. And I don't care what BA says in pre-season or the off-season. This is the same guy who said Brandon Williams was a natural and that Levi Brown was elite.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll just agree to disagree. I want my FO always trying to improve. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they dont. But in reality, we were already mediocre. Folly or not, the season was far from over at the time, AP represented a possibility to improve. I'll take it.

Appreciate that you think it was dumb. Either way, it's not going to affect us moving forward to the extent that you need it to to make your point, and we ended up too sucky for me to make mine. Lose lose!

lol. this is fair.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
MadCard said they believed they had a shot at one more Super Bowl run. Not that it was guaranteed.

They went 8-8 with Stanton/Gabbert at QB for more than half the season, the corpse of Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, and Kerwyn Williams at RB, and occasional appearances from John "shadow of his former self" brown. IF Palmer and Johnson hadn't been hurt, IF John Brown had been 100% (as he seemed to be in preseason, IF Honey Badger really had been back to 100% (as we were led to believe in preseason), IF the O-line had stayed in-tact, then the Cardinals actually could have and should have made the playoffs.

OF COURSE it was unlikely for all of those things to happen... but they had a shot. They didn't mortgage the future to take that shot, but they took it. They also didn't start the rebuild, which many including you thought they should've done, and that's a reasonable thing to think. But as long as the had a shot at a playoff run, they wanted to take it, and i get that.

Even the Peterson trade, the more immediate subject of this thread, made sense when you consider that he almost single-handedly won two games of the six he played. Had he played in the final six games maybe they win one more? Maybe two? Incredibly, they still had a shot when they made the trade, even though almost none of us believed it. His injury was one that he had never suffered before - it wasn't his age or previous ACL injuries that struck him predictably, but a fluke landing on his neck (have you seen the video? Could've happened to any player in any game).

I'd hope that the front office would trade a freaking conditional 6th round pick 100 times out of 100 if it gave the team a shot at making the playoffs. Peterson got hurt and they fell a couple games short, but with 11 games to go, sitting one game out of the division lead, to give up a conditional 6th round pick is not something for which i'm going to excoriate the front office.

...dbs
No one has used the word “guaranteed” but you. So don’t try to put words in my mouth to create an argument that doesn’t exist.

Here’s truth:

NONE of those injuries occurred last season and they went 7-8-1. So there’s NO guarantee (using your word) that had none of the injuries occurred they would have finished any different than their 8-8 record. And yeah, AP has two incredible games. But he also flat out SUCKED in the others he played. So who is to say which version would have showed up in any other game he missed? You know what we DO know? Over two years they did NOT make the playoffs and their record was 15-16-1. By cardinals standards a good two year run. But by a football fan who wants a good product and a chance at a superbowl PURE MEDIOCRITY. They blew it last year in “going for it” in a half-assed manner.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tickets were metaphor for...ah heck never mind.

Yeah... I thought about the leap you were really reaching to make there. Your never mind just confirms how short you were gonna fall trying to make it.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one has used the word “guaranteed” but you. So don’t try to put words in my mouth to create an argument that doesn’t exist.
:shrug: I didn't put those words in your mouth.

MadCardDisease said that BASK believed they had a shot at a Super Bowl run. You said, "Then they're idiots".

Now, had BASK made moves that implied that they were guaranteed, or even had a really good shot to get to the Super Bowl - such trading away future #1 picks for short-term rental players, or pushing off Palmer's or Fitz's salaries even farther into the future to make cap room to sign expensive free agents in 2017, then you'd be right to call them idiots.

But they did no such thing. They showed that they believed they had at least a shot at the playoffs, and they tried to improve their odds by trading away a conditional sixth round pick for a guy who helped them win 2 games.

I recognize the you wish they had lost those games, or all of their games, and you think they're idiots. I was making the distinction between doing something that would have us all in agreement that they're idiots, vs. doing something that seemed reasonable at the time to many of us, even though it turned out to be not enough, especially once most of the O-line, Palmer, and Peterson all ended up on IR.

...dbs

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Yeah... I thought about the leap you were really reaching to make there. Your never mind just confirms how short you were gonna fall trying to make it.

The point was obviously missed on you, although I was actually quoting you Bro. I don't even understand why you're attacking me over it? Your Bro had said that any of the football professionals that thought we had a shot at the super bowl were dumb or idiots, I don't remember now. So my point was we didn't think we had a shot 5 or 6 games into the 2008 season either, but we got hot, it can happen. Hell we probably didn't think we had a shot when we made the playoffs, cuz the idiot football professionals called us the worst team to ever get to the playoffs. I wasn't being disrespectful to your bro, so no need to come to his defense. I am done with this conversation, I have stated my opinion, and stated that nobody is right or wrong. If you would have bet on everything you knew in August you'd be too rich to being spend time on the board busting my onions.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Conditional 6th Rounder is a valuable asset? Its an asset. Its value is HIGHLY debatable. Awaiting the response about TB12 and 6th round...
I am with you on this one... a sixth rounder is crap...trade fodder to move up in the fourth or something. .. TB12, yeah...one pick out of tens of thousands of picks...poo happens... but generally speaking sixth rounders will not likely even be on your roster by week 2 of pre season... or, practice squad..

Reaction score

The idea that the position wasn't a concern is a joke to me. Why don't you ask @cardncubfan about my problems with the WR crew and how he believed we were gonna be okay because John was going to make everyone realize HE was the biggest baddest Brown around, not Antonio.

Come on guys... this is such revisionist history. And I don't care what BA says in pre-season or the off-season. This is the same guy who said Brandon Williams was a natural and that Levi Brown was elite.

What I said was that Palmer, DJ, & a healthy John Brown were as good as Ben, Bell, & AB.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
:shrug: I didn't put those words in your mouth.

MadCardDisease said that BASK believed they had a shot at a Super Bowl run. You said, "Then they're idiots".

Now, had BASK made moves that implied that they were guaranteed, or even had a really good shot to get to the Super Bowl - such trading away future #1 picks for short-term rental players, or pushing off Palmer's or Fitz's salaries even farther into the future to make cap room to sign expensive free agents in 2017, then you'd be right to call them idiots.

But they did no such thing. They showed that they believed they had at least a shot at the playoffs, and they tried to improve their odds by trading away a conditional sixth round pick for a guy who helped them win 2 games.

I recognize the you wish they had lost those games, or all of their games, and you think they're idiots. I was making the distinction between doing something that would have us all in agreement that they're idiots, vs. doing something that seemed reasonable at the time to many of us, even though it turned out to be not enough, especially once most of the O-line, Palmer, and Peterson all ended up on IR.

...dbs
You’re unreasonable in believing their actions to be reasonable.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The point was obviously missed on you, although I was actually quoting you Bro. I don't even understand why you're attacking me over it? Your Bro had said that any of the football professionals that thought we had a shot at the super bowl were dumb or idiots, I don't remember now. So my point was we didn't think we had a shot 5 or 6 games into the 2008 season either, but we got hot, it can happen. Hell we probably didn't think we had a shot when we made the playoffs, cuz the idiot football professionals called us the worst team to ever get to the playoffs. I wasn't being disrespectful to your bro, so no need to come to his defense. I am done with this conversation, I have stated my opinion, and stated that nobody is right or wrong. If you would have bet on everything you knew in August you'd be too rich to being spend time on the board busting my onions.
Eh, he’d be so rich that he’d have even MORE time to post on the board and argue.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not debating on whether YOU, or I or anyone outside of the organizaion thought the WR unit was a problem. All I was saying is BASK felt they had a solid WR room heading into training camp and I provided the evidence of it. You are the one creating the revisionist history.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard