3 - Zach Allen
4 - Hakeem Butler - cut
5 - Deionte Thompson
6a - KeeSean Johnson - cut
6b - Lamont Gaillard - cut
7a - Joshua Miles
7b - Michael Dogbe
7c - Caleb Wilson - cut

At least Murray and Murphy seem to be good. Dogbe has exceeded draft position expectations as well as Miles to be honest. Neither Isabella, Allen or Thompson have really shown anything to date. 2 of 11 is a pretty bad hit rate.

2019 by itself is poor, but as a follow up to this...

1 - Josh Rosen - traded for less value
2 - Christian Kirk
3 - Mason Cole - traded for less value
4 - Chase Edmonds
6 - Chris Campbell - cut
7 - Korey Cunningham - traded

This is clearly why our roster is so dependent on trades and free agency.

4 WRs drafted in two years (two in the top 65) and it is questionable if any of them will be on our roster for the 2022 season.

4 OL drafted in two years and the only contributor was shipped off.

and yet we let Trent Sherfield go who could at least play special teams at a high level.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It goes without saying that we really have some problems in our scouting department. I know Adrian Wilson is beloved - I still have his jersey in my closet too, but we can’t get it right so many times it makes me wonder if we don’t need a complete overhaul of the scouting group. They just get it wrong so much.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2019 Draft Class
1 - Kyler Murray
2a - Byron Murphy
2b - Andy Isabella
3 - Zach Allen
4 - Hakeem Butler - cut
5 - Deionte Thompson
6a - KeeSean Johnson - cut
6b - Lamont Gaillard - cut
7a - Joshua Miles
7b - Michael Dogbe
7c - Caleb Wilson - cut

At least Murray and Murphy seem to be good. Dogbe has exceeded draft position expectations as well as Miles to be honest. Neither Isabella, Allen or Thompson have really shown anything to date. 2 of 11 is a pretty bad hit rate.

2019 by itself is poor, but as a follow up to this...

1 - Josh Rosen - traded for less value
2 - Christian Kirk
3 - Mason Cole - traded for less value
4 - Chase Edmonds
6 - Chris Campbell - cut
7 - Korey Cunningham - traded

This is clearly why our roster is so dependent on trades and free agency.

4 WRs drafted in two years (two in the top 65) and it is questionable if any of them will be on our roster for the 2022 season.

4 OL drafted in two years and the only contributor was shipped off.

and yet we let Trent Sherfield go who could at least play special teams at a high level.
has been really bad draft choices but even before nothing to get excited
In another franchise Keim wouldn't last that long but at least they made some changes in the scouting department?? or it was considered just bad luck, lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Keim does not have a good draft record. That is a fact.
What is frustrating for me is that some of this can be mitigated by retaining your UDFAs that hit.

Ezekial Turner makes the Evan Weaver miss hurt a lot less.

Dennis Gardeck makes the Chris Campbell miss sting less.

If we would have retained Trent Sherfield, missing on Hakeem Butler and KeeSean Johnson doesn't sting as much.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is frustrating for me is that some of this can be mitigated by retaining your UDFAs that hit.

Ezekial Turner makes the Evan Weaver miss hurt a lot less.

Dennis Gardeck makes the Chris Campbell miss sting less.

If we would have retained Trent Sherfield, missing on Hakeem Butler and KeeSean Johnson doesn't sting as much.
I can see Butler but how was Johnson a miss? He was a sixth round pick and made the team for two years. We have a top 5 in the NFL receiving core. Keesean will be on a team this year and likely play. That’s not a miss. It’s a testament to the strength of our WR group.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the team is running 10 personnel, keeping only five receivers seems like too few.

The question is will we? I think we will my guess is that's what Kliff wants to do, but in the first 2 years of him and Kyler the 10 personnel has not been that effective. We have IMO 4 WR's that can make it work now but the main issue was really we could not protect Kyler in 10 personnel and he tended to, as Cosell said in his review, give up on the pass rush too quickly in 10 personnel because he doesn't trust we can block it. Maybe we can now with Hudson and adding Green and Moore means it will be more effective?

I still think we're going to end up playing quite a bit of 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB and 5 OL and Kyler. If we can play 4 WR and protect Kyler I think it's what Kliff would prefer but I think it's been very problematic the first 2 years.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Cutting Johnson may mean they are keeping Wesley (would’ve been preferable to keep Sherfield)? I am praying they keep Dortch over Invisibella.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hopefully KJ doesnt get claimed and returns to the practice squad.

Is he still eligible after being on the active roster pretty consistently for the past two seasons?

I do like KJ but I think we have to wait until the final cuts but my guess is they think Andy can play ST and Keesean can't and that's why? I think he has better hands, not as fast obviously but I think he is a better WR than Andy, but lacks the top end speed so if Andy makes the roster it's likely because they think he's more versatile.

But it wouldn't surprise at all if Andy gets cut too.

That sounds right. AI had 48 special teams snaps in 2021 and KeeSean had 4. Yikes.

Isabella versus Johnson

Catches: 30 versus 36
Yards: 413 versus 360
Catch % 62.5% versus 55.4%

Same poop different name.

Maybe, but one brand of poop was active for the last half of 2021 and another was not dressing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I can see Butler but how was Johnson a miss? He was a sixth round pick and made the team for two years. We have a top 5 in the NFL receiving core. Keesean will be on a team this year and likely play. That’s not a miss. It’s a testament to the strength of our WR group.
I agree with you on this. A 6th round pick lasting two years and getting some first team reps isn't a miss at all.

There are plenty of misses to hate on, but not on this.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Two things with this.

1 - I don't think we have a top 5 WR room. It may have the potential to be that if everything goes correct, but it isn't there yet.

2 - If KeeSean was a hit, we likely would not have added AJ Green, Rondale Moore, Greg Dortch and Antoine Wesley in two years. A 6th round WR who can't stick on special teams or as a 5th/6th WR in year 3 is a miss.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I agree with you on this. A 6th round pick lasting two years and getting some first team reps isn't a miss at all.

There are plenty of misses to hate on, but not on this.
Here is where I land on 6th and 7th rounders. If I am going to give credit to GMs for UDFAs, I am going to point out 6th and 7th rounders who they do not get meaningful contributions from.

KeeSean Johnson. 585 offensive snaps and 11 special teams snaps over two years. Call it whatever you want I guess, but it sure isn't a hit.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he still eligible after being on the active roster pretty consistently for the past two seasons?

That sounds right. AI had 48 special teams snaps in 2021 and KeeSean had 4. Yikes.

Maybe, but one brand of poop was active for the last half of 2021 and another was not dressing.

Yeah if you're not in the top 4 WR's and you don't play ST it's going to be tough.

I expect we'll keep 7 but not sure. I would guess Dortch has made the roster though because he can return kicks which also tells me they like Moore enough they would prefer to pick and choose when he returns kicks to protect him.

I really wonder what thinking went into not retaining Sherfield, Google says he only makes 920K this year, up from 750K last year. He can play WR, he can play ST, I do like Dortch, Wesley shows some potential and Kliff knows him, Larry is presumably still in play if he chooses to come back.

I can see why HE would leave, he'll probably play more in SF, but I am not sure why we didn't try to keep him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose