Cards’ Draft Position

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Where do you think we'll pick if we win or lose to SF? I understand it depends on other games, so just asking for your guess.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We can't beat Niners unless they sat their whole first teams. We look secure at 4th pick now.

The next meaningful question is who will be making that pick for us. Any guesses?

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I still like to go off the tape and not the combine. I think the combine can compliment, and help qualify a decision already made by watching tape, but I do not think the combine qualifies a player to vault ahead of his initial draft status
Both have a role. Virtually any decent player can put together a highlight reel. I prefer to watch game replays. This gives you a read on their motor. I like the pure speed and agility tests from the combine.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
IF the Cards lose at SF:

they pick #3 if Denver beats the Chargers in Denver
they pick #4 otherwise

IF the Cards win at SF:

they pick #4 if:

Rams beat Seattle
Indy beats Houston

they pick #5 if:

one of Rams or Indy win

they pick #6 if:

both Indy and Rams lose

NOTE: the Rams SOS is getting awfully close to the Cards. The above assumes the Cards SOS remains higher than the Rams. What has to happen for the Rams SOS to be higher than the Cards?

The Bills, the Cowboys and the Packers collectively win two more games in the final week over the Patriots, Eagles and Vikings (i.e the former group goes 3-0 and the latter goes no better than 1-2)

In that case the Rams SOS will be higher than the Cards and the Cards move up in the draft in the case of a tie with the Rams

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IF the Cards lose at SF:

they pick #4 otherwise

IF the Cards win at SF:

they pick #4 if:

Rams beat Seattle
Indy beats Houston

they pick #5 if:

one of Rams or Indy win

they pick #6 if:

both Indy and Rams lose

NOTE: the Rams SOS is getting awfully close to the Cards. The above assumes the Cards SOS remains higher than the Rams. What has to happen for the Rams SOS to be higher than the Cards?

The Bills, the Cowboys and the Packers collectively win two more games in the final week over the Patriots, Eagles and Vikings (i.e the former group goes 3-0 and the latter goes no better than 1-2)

In that case the Rams SOS will be higher than the Cards and the Cards move up in the draft in the case of a tie with the Rams
Great information! If Shanahan loses to this Cardinals team, he should be fired!;)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Denver looked like they had an actual offense after firing Hackett. I think they beat the Chargers at home who have already clinched a playoff spot.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Denver looked like they had an actual offense after firing Hackett. I think they beat the Chargers at home who have already clinched a playoff spot.
We can only hope. They definitely looked better yesterday, although they played KC tough in both games this year.

football karma

Reaction score
the Chargers will want to win: if so, they play the AFC south winner

if they lose: they likely go to Buffalo

I think that is highly motivating

in terms of Cardinal self interest: if the Chargers lose at Denver and then get worked in Buffalo it makes firing the coach more likely -- and that becomes Payton's #1 destination

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I think the Chargers play the Jags if they win. That’s good incentive but their play has been erratic.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
IF the Cards lose at SF:

they pick #4 otherwise

IF the Cards win at SF:

they pick #4 if:

Rams beat Seattle
Indy beats Houston

they pick #5 if:

one of Rams or Indy win

they pick #6 if:

both Indy and Rams lose

The Bears winning also needs to be factored in I believe if the Cards lose. In that case I believe:
they pick #2 Denver wins, Bears Win
they pick #3 Denver wins, Bears Loses OR Denver loses, Bears Win
they pick #4 if both Denver and Bears lose

Since Chicago has a higher SOS. Currently .566 vs .526 with both teams playing a .750 team next week.

football karma

Reaction score
The Bears winning also needs to be factored in I believe if the Cards lose. In that case I believe:

Since Chicago has a higher SOS. Currently .566 vs .526 with both teams playing a .750 team next week.
yes -- thanks! didnt even consider Chicago winning

they play Minnesota at home

Minnesota doesnt really have much to play for: if SF wins, they are locked into the #3 seed win or loss

if SF loses -- they could move up to the #2 seed -- and face (in all likelihood) Green Bay -- who they just lost to

Minnesota could effectively guarantee a matchup with the 6th seed -- avoiding Dallas and GB in the first round WITH A LOSS

im not giving up on Chicago

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still like to go off the tape and not the combine. I think the combine can compliment, and help qualify a decision already made by watching tape, but I do not think the combine qualifies a player to vault ahead of his initial draft status

Everyone says that but then the combines comes around and GM's go "OoooWee he runs 4.65 at 280lbs? He's up 20 spots on my board".

Look at Travon Walker last year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IF the Cards lose at SF:

they pick #4 otherwise

This actually has a shot.

Chargers are already in the playoffs and nothing they do on Sunday can alter their outlook. Likely the Chargers rest a bunch of key guys.

The Broncos have been improving of late and hung in with the Chiefs on Sunday.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the Chargers will want to win: if so, they play the AFC south winner

if they lose: they likely go to Buffalo

I think that is highly motivating

in terms of Cardinal self interest: if the Chargers lose at Denver and then get worked in Buffalo it makes firing the coach more likely -- and that becomes Payton's #1 destination

I think the Chargers play the Jags if they win. That’s good incentive but their play has been erratic.

I think the only way they don't play the Jags is if they lose and the Ravens beat the Bengals with Huntley at QB. Which I don't see happening.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IF the Cards lose at SF:

they pick #4 otherwise

IF the Cards win at SF:

they pick #4 if:

Rams beat Seattle
Indy beats Houston

they pick #5 if:

one of Rams or Indy win

they pick #6 if:

both Indy and Rams lose

karma, a GREAT analysis.

football karma

Reaction score

Bears are sitting Justin Fields for their game vs the Vikes

go Nathan Peterman!

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If the Bears back into the 1st overall selection they'll garner a king's ransom for Bryce Young. The Texans would then take Stroud. That leaves Will Levis as trade bait for the Seahawks and Cardinals.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
An ESPN mock draft has us picking fourth and taking a DL from Texas Tech. They have the Colts picking fifth and taking the OSU QB. If we want to trade back, that might be a good scenario, as multiple teams want Stroud.

I apologize if someone else suggested the same.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Colts, Panthers and Raiders are all teams drafting behind the Cardinals that could be willing to pay a premium for Will Levis. Moving back a handful of spots to pick up an additional high second round pick works.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
How do people feel about Andre Carter?

There's some concern he might not be draft eligible because there is a Bill going through that remove the Pro Sports exemption and that he would have to serve 2 years. Although there is a possible out in that he might be able to get out if he repays all his tuition.

Anyway, he's the only other guy I really like at Edge. Hard not to like 6'7" 250lb OLB's. He's a true OLB too. Army drop him back into coverage all the time and he's good at it. There's a great play vs Air Force where he contains the Edge patiently, reads what the QB is going to do, drops back into coverage and tips the pass for a pick. Not many prospects come out with 19 sacks, 2 INT's and 5 passes defended.

Seems like a Cardinals pick. "Is he a team captain? Yes, and also an actual Captain". He isn't but you get the gist. Small school, physical freak seems very Cards.

He's a late 1st or early 2nd guy currently.
He‘s available

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
The Colts, Panthers and Raiders are all teams drafting behind the Cardinals that could be willing to pay a premium for Will Levis. Moving back a handful of spots to pick up an additional high second round pick works.

This is what I vote for.

We're going to need a massive infusion young talent going forward. OL DL CB all will be hurting with possible defections and retirements.

I think our cap situation for 2023 is just "okay", right? We won't be able to plug too many holes in FA or sign maybe more than one splash guy (I think).

We need a lot of picks, and we need to hit on most of them.