Cards’ Draft Position

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolutely correct. I wrote it up right initially then reversed before I posted it. Detroit has been internally debating about Goff. I think they stay with him based on which front office guys are supporting him. That would mean they take Carter if the Bears or a trade up team doesn’t take him. It therefore seems most likely Carter is gone by the Cards pick. I think it’s about 50/50 Anderson is still on the board, but I’d trade down. Any of the options could give the Cards Bresee. Then I‘d go CB in round 2 and an Edge. The order depends on the board. Round 3 would be a Center and another OL. If some miracle left Carter for the Cards’ pick, I would take him. Then I’d take a Corner in 2 and a Center in round 3.

Bear's have to be favorites for Anderson after trading away Quinn and Mack. What I don't know if if the Bears will see him as a fit. He's a sub 250lb OLB and the Bears now play a 4 man front. I don't see Anderson as a DE. They might want to move back for someone like Murphy.

The same applies to us and what we do. We have been playing 4 most of the season, but we can easily swicth either way. I like the idea of Anderson and Sanders at OLB with Cam Thomas playing inside at DE.

It all comes down the the Bears. I think if Anderson gets past the bears he's there at 5.

I would hate to be the Texans GM. I'd be trying to trade out of #1 like crazy. I really don't like Stroud or Young. Both have great highlight reels of making off schedule plays but being consistent on schedule is worth far more.

Plus I don't know who is looking at Kyler Murray in the NFL after his injury history and recent form and thinking "Mmm mmm. I want me some of that undersized QB pie".

I think Levis is the best QB in the draft.

It's also pretty important to remember that what we think now is very unlikely to be true by draft day. The combine and draft process changes things a lot as will FA. Nobody had Trayvon Walker even top 10 this time last year. There are going to be players that shoot up and players that drop down based on poor showings.

If I was the Texans I'd sign Jimmy G or Sam Darnold and draft Will Anderson.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do people feel about Andre Carter?

There's some concern he might not be draft eligible because there is a Bill going through that remove the Pro Sports exemption and that he would have to serve 2 years. Although there is a possible out in that he might be able to get out if he repays all his tuition.

Anyway, he's the only other guy I really like at Edge. Hard not to like 6'7" 250lb OLB's. He's a true OLB too. Army drop him back into coverage all the time and he's good at it. There's a great play vs Air Force where he contains the Edge patiently, reads what the QB is going to do, drops back into coverage and tips the pass for a pick. Not many prospects come out with 19 sacks, 2 INT's and 5 passes defended.

Seems like a Cardinals pick. "Is he a team captain? Yes, and also an actual Captain". He isn't but you get the gist. Small school, physical freak seems very Cards.

He's a late 1st or early 2nd guy currently.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm resigned to Carter being a Seahawk. Obviously a lot to happen between now and the draft but they took Edge last year and they don't lose any key players that will cost a lot to resign or replace in FA outside Poona Ford and Geno Smith.

Obviously much depends on QB but if they resign Smith (which I think is highly likely) Carter seems like a no brainer.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

There's some concern he might not be draft eligible because there is a Bill going through that remove the Pro Sports exemption and that he would have to serve 2 years. Although there is a possible out in that he might be able to get out if he repays all his tuition.

Anyway, he's the only other guy I really like at Edge. Hard not to like 6'7" 250lb OLB's. He's a true OLB too. Army drop him back into coverage all the time and he's good at it. There's a great play vs Air Force where he contains the Edge patiently, reads what the QB is going to do, drops back into coverage and tips the pass for a pick. Not many prospects come out with 19 sacks, 2 INT's and 5 passes defended.

Seems like a Cardinals pick. "Is he a team captain? Yes, and also an actual Captain". He isn't but you get the gist. Small school, physical freak seems very Cards.

Some of the service academy guys have been allowed to go Reserves instead of active duty in the past.

He's no Will Anderson.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I’d say Donald helped Goff.
yeah i guess if you really go macro

meaning: a great defense reduces the pressure put on the offense and your QB.

Its basically the SF philosophy.

btw: its feels like the Keim philosophy is that you load up on skill players and your o-line and defense can be below average

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I posted this question earlier and there have been some developments since then. Department of Defense was set on repealing waiver for service academy athletes that would allow them to delay their service commitments to play professional sports. It looked like it was going to happen but Congress made an exception that will allow Carter to play immediately. He is projected as a late first rounder but I think he can slip to 2nd round. Depending on what ARZ does in first round I think he is a good option in Round 2.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I posted this question earlier and there have been some developments since then. Department of Defense was set on repealing waiver for service academy athletes that would allow them to delay their service commitments to play professional sports. It looked like it was going to happen but Congress made an exception that will allow Carter to play immediately. He is projected as a late first rounder but I think he can slip to 2nd round. Depending on what ARZ does in first round I think he is a good option in Round 2.

I only see him going round 1 if he smashes the combine. If he runs 4.6 at 250 and 6'7" and does well in all other testing (which he may well do as he looks pretty quick) it might push him in but I reckon he's 80% there in the 2nd round when we pick.

The interesting this with Carter is that he's a true OLB. Guys like Anderson never drop into coverage, they are stand up DE's essentially. Carter is a rare guy that is a pash rusher that can drop. Last guy I recall doing that much was Josh Allen.

Glad he didn't get screwed over.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t watch much college football. Can Levis be compared to Allen when he was coming out of college?

Pretty much. He has a big arm and the ability to run the ball but is pretty rough in most other areas. He's smaller too. I think he'll come in more like 6035 and 227lb compared to Allens 6050 and 238lbs.

I'd be surprised if he was ever Allen level though. Maybe more a Derek Carr.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much. He has a big arm and the ability to run the ball but is pretty rough in most other areas. He's smaller too. I think he'll come in more like 6035 and 227lb compared to Allens 6050 and 238lbs.

I remember the knock on Allen was accuracy and mechanics. Seems he got that right.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Levis success will depend on how well he throws the tree in workouts. He has great upside, but his accuracy is a big question mark.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Good day for the Cards. Both New Orleans and Carolina improved the Cards breathing room should the Cards somehow win another game.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
With Rams win this week and Broncos (Seattle has their pick) having a tougher SOS than us, are we not now Pick #3?

Harry, what do you have us at right now? I only see Houston and Chicago picking before us if we lose out.

Now, having said that, if we play like we did tonight, we could beat Falcons next week. That would be about what I would expect to happen to us. Very typical of Cards history.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Rams win this week and Broncos (Seattle has their pick) having a tougher SOS than us, are we not now Pick #3?

Harry, what do you have us at right now? I only see Houston and Chicago picking before us if we lose out.

Now, having said that, if we play like we did tonight, we could beat Falcons next week. That would be about what I would expect to happen to us. Very typical of Cards history.

Far as I can see Denver has the weaker sos so we're 4th.

Their opponents are .488 ours are .520.

Not sure if that can change enough as the Broncos play Chargers and Chiefs and we play Falcons and Niners.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score

Not sure if that can change enough as the Broncos play Chargers and Chiefs and we play Falcons and Niners.
I am going by this. It shows us at 16.8 and Broncos at 14, with higher score being the weaker schedule. The Bears are at 14.5 if that should come into play, which I expect won´t.

I don´t know if this is accurate though.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

NFL.com has us listed as the 3rd pick overall now and Denver.. I assume that’s accurate

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NFL.com has us listed as the 3rd pick overall now and Denver.. I assume that’s accurate
I read this
Ties involving TWO teams from different conferences will be broken by (a) head-to-head meeting; (b) best won-losttied percentage in common games, minimum of four, (c) strength of victory in all games, (d) best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed in all games, (e) best net points in all games, (f) best net touchdowns in all games, and finally (g) coin toss.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson