Cardinals Trade for Chiefs CB Marcus Cooper

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Conditional 2018 pick

I imagine he will take the last spot away from Cariel Brooks, more of depth than starter.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Outstanding trade. 2-3 years ago he was a very, very good DB. Had a rough year last year, but the talent is inside him somewhere.

As a #4 CB, Im happy.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I would imagine Tyvon Branch might have suggested Cooper to Steve Keim, as he played with him in KC last year.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooper was on the bubble to make the Chiefs team and most expected him to be released due to the recent signing of CB Kenneth Acker. Trading him away now at least gives the Chiefs a chance at picking up a draft pick for him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At 6'2 and 192 he's got good length.

runs a 4.45 and has run a 10.7 100 yard dash, so hes got pretty good speed, 39 in vertical at the combine. A converted wide receiver, seems like he is another brandon williams type

So he is definitely an athlete, worries me that they were trying to move him to safety, suggest his ball skills may be lacking.

I am hoping they will trade for another CB, because this guy does not scream starter - which is kind of what I think we need.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would imagine Tyvon Branch might have suggested Cooper to Steve Keim, as he played with him in KC last year.

You have a vivid imagination.

I think the scouts identified Cooper as a guy on the bubble and Keim decided to go after him after the poor play of the CBs last night.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a desperation trade. They hope they can get something out of him.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooper made some noise as a seventh-round rookie in 2013, but his play steadily fell off. He'll provide some depth behind the shaky duo of Justin Bethel and Brandon Williams opposite Patrick Peterson. Cooper also spent some time at safety this summer. Sep 2 - 4:04 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8641/marcus-cooper

Cooper has played all of one defensive snap through the first two weeks and could probably be had for a conditional seventh-round pick. He went to Rutgers, and the Patriots previously tried landing him via waivers from the 49ers in 2013 before the Chiefs won on the wire. The Patriots are looking for corner help. Sun, Sep 27, 2015 08:35:00 AM
A 2013 seventh-rounder, Cooper initially looked like a steal as a rookie before fading badly down the stretch. His role was further decreased in 2014, where he made only four starts and played 292 total snaps. He was frequently inactive. The Chiefs infused talent at cornerback this spring by taking Marcus Peters and Steven Nelson in the first three rounds. Mon, Jul 27, 2015 02:27:00 PM

Following a very impressive start to his seventh-round rookie year, Cooper had struggled mightily of late, likely losing confidence. The Chiefs went with Dunta Robinson at slot/nickel back, and Brandon Flowers kicking over to left corner. Coach Andy Reid said Monday the Chiefs will still give Cooper an opportunity to "work his way back in," likely by playing in Week 17 while other players rest.

I am underwhelmed, traded a pick for him? yeesh

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has the details of the pick be confirmed? I heard a 2nd rounder on the radio. That is too much for this guy.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way Keim gave up a 2nd rounder. Everything I read is that it is a conditional 2018 pick.

OK, I misunderstood. Now they are saying undisclosed. I just don't see how this guy helps us at all. He is not any better IMO than what we have and we just gave up a pick.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I misunderstood. Now they are saying undisclosed. I just don't see how this guy helps us at all. He is not any better IMO than what we have and we just gave up a pick.

He is an experienced CB. Has had some success in the past. Was named Chiefs rookie of the year a couple of years ago. He is another option if Williams and Bethel stink things up.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is a desperation trade. They hope they can get something out of him.

Of course it is, nobody's arguing that. We royally messed up by not addressing CB in the draft or earlier in FA. Keim is smart enough to realize we're in a bad position right now with our CB depth

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Of course it is, nobody's arguing that. We royally messed up by not addressing CB in the draft or earlier in FA. Keim is smart enough to realize we're in a bad position right now with our CB depth

Didn't we draft 2 CB's this year? And isn't one of them slated to start? To me that shows addressing it in the draft both for a starting role and depth. And they then went out in free agency and got the guy who just blew out his knee for quality depth. This wasn't so much about making up for the failings of the draft/free agency. This was compensating for plain bad luck (injury).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard