Cardinals Trade for Chiefs CB Marcus Cooper

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK, I misunderstood. Now they are saying undisclosed. I just don't see how this guy helps us at all. He is not any better IMO than what we have and we just gave up a pick.

At least this guy at one point in time has had some success on an nfl field, every time I have ever seen cariel brooks he has looked horrific, so I don't agree with you I don't see how this guy can't be better.

Also it is a conditional pick - could easily be we only owe them a 7th round pick if he is on the roster next season. So you should not assume it is too much, when it very well might be nothing.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has the details of the pick be confirmed? I heard a 2nd rounder on the radio. That is too much for this guy.
that would be WAY too much unless keim is just accepting that he cant draft 2nd round talent.

I have read it is conditional so it will depend on how much he plays.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
You have a vivid imagination.

I think the scouts identified Cooper as a guy on the bubble and Keim decided to go after him after the poor play of the CBs last night.

Wow. You don't think Steve Keim would have at least asked Tyvon Branch about his former teammate? So many acquisitions in the NFL come from players suggesting former teammates to their GMs.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least this guy at one point in time has had some success on an nfl field, every time I have ever seen cariel brooks he has looked horrific, so I don't agree with you I don't see how this guy can't be better.

Also it is a conditional pick - could easily be we only owe them a 7th round pick if he is on the roster next season. So you should not assume it is too much, when it very well might be nothing.

It very well could be conditional and I wasn't assuming much other than we took a gamble on a player that was probably a flash in the pants his rookie year. I hope not because we had to do something at CB.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Didn't we draft 2 CB's this year? And isn't one of them slated to start? To me that shows addressing it in the draft both for a starting role and depth. And they then went out in free agency and got the guy who just blew out his knee for quality depth. This wasn't so much about making up for the failings of the draft/free agency. This was compensating for plain bad luck (injury).

You get what you pay for. So 1 rookie CB whos been playing the position of CB for 1 year prior. And a 6th round flyer in the other. Neither should be expect to start day 1.

And Mike Jenkins was not quality. He was the best we could get in a picked-over thrift mart

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
You get what you pay for. So 1 rookie CB whos been playing the position of CB for 1 year prior. And a 6th round flyer in the other. Neither should be expect to start day 1.

And Mike Jenkins was not quality. He was the best we could get in a picked-over thrift mart

In a salary cap era, you got to find bargains somewhere. If we go after a top-flight CB, we probably can't afford Evan Mathis or HB's new contract. Or some other area of need. With PP21 shutting down half the field, I assume they thought they could afford to give a lesser CB enough help with scheme to make it an acceptable risk.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Of course it is, nobody's arguing that. We royally messed up by not addressing CB in the draft or earlier in FA. Keim is smart enough to realize we're in a bad position right now with our CB depth

CB was addressed with the Cardinals second choice in the draft. Keim brought two veterans and a number of young guys to compete for the position. Both veterans got injured as well as some of the younger guys.

Not sure how you're getting the notion that Keim "royally messed up."

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. You don't think Steve Keim would have at least asked Tyvon Branch about his former teammate? So many acquisitions in the NFL come from players suggesting former teammates to their GMs.

Sure there is the possibility that Keim might ask Branch about Cooper and what kind of a teammate he was.

That is completely different from Branch whispering in Keim's ear, "Hey I know about this guy that you need to check out." Which is how I read your original post.

The Cardinals have write ups on every player on every team. So they know in advance who they might target during cut downs.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CB was addressed with the Cardinals second choice in the draft. Keim brought two veterans and a number of young guys to compete for the position. Both veterans got injured as well as some of the younger guys.

Yeah Keim has definitely tried to find a corner, he brought in jenkins and ball, both got hurt, tried to bring in culliver, decided not to sign him because he was injured, drafted 2, and brought in like 8 young corners as free agents.

When you throw that many numbers at the situation you would think somebody would step up, but really other than arguably Williams, and Jenkins who got hurt - nobody has.

It's pretty much a lot of bad luck but I don't really blame Keim, other than I would have brought powers back after he was humbled and realized he was only going to get less the 2 mil a year. Even so, at that point in time he may have been a bad looker room guy so maybe they had little choice but to move on.

It sucks things have turned out this way - but I still think they will get another corner this weekend - at least I really hope they do.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Let's hope he plays as well as he did his rookie year.

At least BASK realize that pinning their Super Bowl hopes with a rook CB is a pipe dream!!! Let's hope this helps a bit because I'm worried about this D when playing the big boys.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My physical therapist, who's a chiefs fan, is going to give me so much crap about this. He's been complaining SPECFICALLY about Cooper to me for six months.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

That 2nd choice has been playing the position for 1 year. Hes the definition of a project.
Everybody they brought in to compete for the #2 job were either washed up or too green or flat out not good enough. Even without the injuries to Ball and Jenkins, both were sub par players.

The mistake was gambling with Bethel thinking hed be healthy and ready. Clearly hes not.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm going to make a prediction

Jaron Brown or Rodney Gunter or maybe Tony Jefferson is going to be traded for a #2 starting caliber Corner.

TJ

Reaction score
That 2nd choice has been playing the position for 1 year. Hes the definition of a project.
Everybody they brought in to compete for the #2 job were either washed up or too green or flat out not good enough. Even without the injuries to Ball and Jenkins, both were sub par players.

The mistake was gambling with Bethel thinking hed be healthy and ready. Clearly hes not.

OK, so what would you have done?

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
OK, so what would you have done?

Resigned Powers and traded a late pick for Pierre Desir. 1 old vet who knows our system, 1 young vet whos a perfect system fit. Develop Brandon in the meantime.

TJ

Reaction score
Resigned Powers and traded a late pick for Pierre Desir. 1 old vet who knows our system, 1 young vet whos a perfect system fit. Develop Brandon in the meantime.

As has been stated a number of times, Powers was not a good outside CB and no better than Bethel. It is no coincidence that Baltimore signed him as a slot CB, a position in which we have depth. That was not a viable option.

Desir is so talented that the Browns just cut him.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/9/2/12775792/browns-release-db-pierre-desir

You might not like it, but Keim did his due diligence to address the position but has had buzzard's luck.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
when they extended Bethel -- they clearly thought he was going to be the answer

the foot thing has been bad luck

Given the Jones trade and their cap situation, i just dont see how they could have signed any sort of high $ free agent corner in the offseason.

so they go Jenkins -- a solid, cheap option who then happened to tear his ACL. Again, some bad luck

so, it really leaves the choice to be criticized (if you want) as the first round choice:

should the Cards have taken Xavien Howard, Baylor (went at 38), McKensie Alexander, Clemson (54) or Cyrus Jones, Alabama ( 60) instead of Nkemdiche?

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
runs a 4.45 and has run a 10.7 100 yard dash, so hes got pretty good speed, 39 in vertical at the combine. A converted wide receiver, seems like he is another brandon williams type

So he is definitely an athlete, worries me that they were trying to move him to safety, suggest his ball skills may be lacking.

Could also suggest he has excellent range, especially given his length and speed, and able to squat or sit in zones, while being able to rotate his hips to cover dudes coming out of their breaks.

I'm not sure ball skills are a prerequisite either, given that Williams and Bethel both fail to locate the ball in the air with regularity.

(Edit: had to edit this to say, ball skills are important obviously, but at this point I just want a dude who can cover a guy. It Bethel or Williams don't have ball skills and have no clue where the thing even is, fine, but at least be close to the defender. I've lowered my standards considerably)

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
IMO it boils down to three things... he is young... he has good measurables...and #3... can he play man to man?

in my mind, those are the issues Keim would be looking at....he meets the first ones,... but I cant say if he plays man to man well or not.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could also suggest he has excellent range, especially given his length and speed, and able to squat or sit in zones, while being able to rotate his hips to cover dudes coming out of their breaks.

I'm not sure ball skills are a prerequisite either, given that Williams and Bethel both fail to locate the ball in the air with regularity.

(Edit: had to edit this to say, ball skills are important obviously, but at this point I just want a dude who can cover a guy. It Bethel or Williams don't have ball skills and have no clue where the thing even is, fine, but at least be close to the defender. I've lowered my standards considerably)

Bethel in relatively limited service picked off Rogers in the end zone and had a pick 6. Not exactly hands of stone.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So worst case pick wise it's a7th? Cool

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz